Not much sole!

Featured Posts

That's because it is primarily adapted to break down iron compounds (especially ferrous sulfide) rather than refined iron ... "Thiobacillus ferrooxidans is the most common type of bacteria in mine waste piles. This organism is acidophilic (acid loving), and increases the rate of pyrite oxidation in mine tailings piles and coal deposits. It oxidies iron and inorganic sulfur compounds. The oxidation process can be harmful, as it produces sulfuric acid, which is a major pollutant. However, it can also be beneficial in recovering materials such as copper and uranium. " (from Microbe-wiki)

Given that its preferred pH is 1.5 to 2.5, and it prefers temperatures of 45-50C as well, it is unlikely to ever thrive in most freshwater habitats !

You see, my problem is that I would feel very presumptuous to say that the surveyor is talking bollocks

Richard

I did much the same Googling and came to much the same conclusion. Not a single instance of a report of steel being eaten by bugs.

Tony

Maybe someone has been trying to impress by blinding with (apparent) science?

If not and it's a real problem, I'm interested to know more.

Tim

I suggest the OP gets a second opinion (from a reputable surveyor), before she starts painting her boat with biocides and any other strange mixtures prior to blacking . . .

Because it's always possible that such materials may not help the adhesion of blacking, and merely create another problem . . ..

Does the boat have fitted sacrificial anodes?

I suggest the OP gets a second opinion (from a reputable surveyor), before she starts painting her boat with biocides and any other strange mixtures prior to blacking . . .

Because it's always possible that such materials may not help the adhesion of blacking, and merely create another problem . . ..

Does the boat have fitted sacrificial anodes?

I know this is probably the work of the devil but sacrificing an ode seems drastic. :lol:

I know this is probably the work of the devil but sacrificing an ode seems drastic. :lol:

Now also it is fitting to sacrifice to Faunus in the shady groves, whether he demands a lamb, or whether he prefers a kid goat.

Horace, Odes 1.4.11-12

Tony

Now also it is fitting to sacrifice to Faunus in the shady groves, whether he demands a lamb, or whether he prefers a kid goat.

Horace, Odes 1.4.11-12

Tony

Not a vegetarian then :lol: Just spotted the 5th horseman of the apocalypse in the viewing topic bit yikes we are all doomed

Edited by soldthehouse

Not a vegetarian then :lol: Just spotted the 5th horseman of the apocalypse in the viewing topic bit yikes we are all doomed

He is alright it's the other four i'd worry about.

Thiobacillus ferrooxidans, well I never. I'm speechless

Well what a coincidence, my horse is called Theo.

(short for Thiobacillus ferrooxidans)

and produces horse***t :lol:

5th

I am struggling with the idea that bacteria are going to chew 4mm deep pits in the sole plate of my boat.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but I am suprised that it has not been flagged up before.

In the 25 years or so that I have been involved in steel fabrications (all for outdoor use) I have never heard of anything of this nature

5th

I am struggling with the idea that bacteria are going to chew 4mm deep pits in the sole plate of my boat.

Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but I am suprised that it has not been flagged up before.

In the 25 years or so that I have been involved in steel fabrications (all for outdoor use) I have never heard of anything of this nature

5th

Tawny Owl had some of those shiny pits in the hull when we first got her surveyed, about a third of the way from the stern as I remember it. The surveyor pointed them out as being erosion, which they were, but I don't remember him offering an explanation as to why they were like that. I think that's generally the case, you get these shiny pits in the hull in odd places, and there are so many variables that it makes it hard to explain exactly why.

Seems to me this particular surveyor has offered an explanation which is superficially plausible.

Richard

Simply put, there's a healthy scepticism of your surveyor's opinion. It's been suggested that you obtain a second one.

Tony

I'm not suggesting that at all, at least not for another two years. Surveyor says the hull is safe for that long, so go and enjoy your boat and see what the hull is like in two years time

Richard

Although there is no need to justify myself, this surveyor came highly recommended and has been involved in the business for many years, written books, lectured and trained many other well respected surveyors. I am not a complete numpty who would drag someone from the street to give me a very important survey on my hull- a hull that has been severly attacked by something that leaves the anodes intact.

Although there is no need to justify myself, this surveyor came highly recommended and has been involved in the business for many years, written books, lectured and trained many other well respected surveyors. I am not a complete numpty who would drag someone from the street to give me a very important survey on my hull- a hull that has been severly attacked by something that leaves the anodes intact.

If you are facing £10k of spending then getting another survey is going to be like a drop in the ocean canal.

Tim

If you are facing £10k of spending then getting another survey is going to be like a drop in the ocean canal.

Tim

But Parasal isn't facing a bill of £10,000 - or at least not this time anyway. The surveyor has passed the hull fit for another two years. Clearly I haven't seen the report but I guess that it will recommend that the hull is resurveyed at that point to decide what to do.

Richard

5th

I think the point is that their presence increases the oxygen level thus increasing corrosion, at least thats what ive assumed :lol::lol:

Interseting to hear you say the anodes are intact. seems to add a bit of credance. (did I spell that wright?)

noe

I think the point is that their presence increases the oxygen level thus increasing corrosion, at least thats what ive assumed :lol::lol:

noe

The bacteria referred to by the OP appear to actually remove metals from ores. The mechanism you are describing is more credible, but would refer to a different organism

Richard