12v Chainsaw

Featured Posts

It'll save you your gym membership too. And get you out in the fresh air appreciating nature and meeting people. Everyone should have a bowsaw

Richard

Ecologically sound as well

I don't need a bow saw to do any of these things! I talk to ducks, me. And swans, and robins, and dogs - sometimes even their owners too!

And as for exercise, I've got locks for that! You fellers like your bow saws, don't ya? The strongest part of a mans physique is across his shoulders - hence sawing by hand. The strongest part of a woman's is across her hips. The day I find a pelvis-powered saw is the day I stop looking for a bargain chainsaw! :lol:

I don't need a bow saw to do any of these things! I talk to ducks, me. And swans, and robins, and dogs - sometimes even their owners too!

Worth having a bowsaw just as a backup for the petrol/leccy things, any sawing is better than freezing on a boat with no heat. :lol: Try a 36" bowsaw with decent (ie Bahco) blade for green wood.

An electric chainsaw or sabre saw should run fine on MSW inverter, the inverter can be used for other things too.

And as for exercise, I've got locks for that! You fellers like your bow saws, don't ya? The strongest part of a mans physique is across his shoulders - hence sawing by hand. The strongest part of a woman's is across her hips. The day I find a pelvis-powered saw is the day I stop looking for a bargain chainsaw! :lol:

Maybe someone can invent a bicycle chainsaw :lol:

cheers,

Pete.

The strongest part of a mans physique is across his shoulders - hence sawing by hand. The strongest part of a woman's is across her hips. The day I find a pelvis-powered saw is the day I stop looking for a bargain chainsaw! :lol:

That being so, why does a certain woman I know insist on pushing lock gate balance beams with her hands, instead of leaning on them and pushng with the legs, as I do?

Serious note - I'm sure I'm teaching my pater's mater to suck eggs, but please wear ballistic trousers (at the very least) when using a chainsaw. Chainsaws are good at cutting through timber, and brilliant at cutting through human flesh.

You use those muscles to persuade a man to chop up your firewood, for you. :lol:

:lol::lol:

That being so, why does a certain woman I know insist on pushing lock gate balance beams with her hands, instead of leaning on them and pushng with the legs, as I do?

Serious note - I'm sure I'm teaching my pater's mater to suck eggs, but please wear ballistic trousers (at the very least) when using a chainsaw. Chainsaws are good at cutting through timber, and brilliant at cutting through human flesh.

I love the idea of ballistic trousers!

Here you go, Lisa

DK9024_b3.jpg

though at 5' long you'll need a neighbour at the other end

The mind boggles as to with which muscles I'm suppose to clench those handles... :D

Although that saw has just reminded me of The Dukes of Hazzard. The Duke boys used to saw logs up with one of those as an excuse for them to not be wearing their shirts!!! Luke Duke built like a dancer had nowt to worry about (muscial theatre performer hence the physique, don't ya know)and Bo Duke cute but always holding his tummy in. ;):lol:;):lol::oB) I feel a dvd night coming on... got two series on disc!

Doesn't solve my chainsaw problem, but it'll be a fun distraction!

Edited by BlueStringPudding

If getting rid of the petrol element is a must then rather than buying a almost useless battery powered chain saw, buy a larger capacity inverter and a corded chain saw, which from experience are quite good. :lol:

The model we have is a 1750watt B&Q model.

I have (or had) one of these. It did all I asked of it including cutting up a tree trunk of over 18" diameter. Problem was that I managed to overtighten and crossthread the screw bolt which holds the bar in place. It seems to me that the softish metal used for this isn't up to the job, and as it appears to be cast in one piece with the inner body holding the motor, this also makes it un-repairable. In fact, with a sawchain whizzing round, I'm not sure I'd even want to try some sort of botched repair job on it anyway. Next time, I'll but a better quality one...

Edited by Pete of Ebor

I have (or had) one of these. It did all I asked of it including cutting up a tree trunk of over 18" diameter. Problem was that I managed to overtighten and crossthread the screw bolt which holds the bar in place. It seems to me that the softish metal used for this isn't up to the job, and as it appears to be cast in one piece with the inner body holding the motor, this also makes it un-repairable. In fact, with a sawchain whizzing round, I'm not sure I'd even want to try some sort of botched repair job on it anyway. Next time, I'll but a better quality one...

In another thread I agreed that Ryobi stuff isn't too bad, BUT I have a mains Ryobi chainsaw for cutting up logs. It works OK except that the chain bar clamp & adjuster are inadequate so they keep working loose and shedding the chain.

Tim

Hmmm... if I were to get a 240v chainsaw with inverter the combined cost would need to be less than buying wood for the whole winter in order to make it viable - I won't be earning after next month!

I'm not big on the idea of a bow saw - practical and cheaper yes, but very timeconsuming and I'd get p*ssed off and burn my books or something instead!

Fair comment but then again most things you buy have a 'payback' period. Things is though the inverter corded option is proven technology where as the battery versions are still underpowered for anything thicker than a twig.

Sure you'll find find a solution eventually! :lol:

Fair comment but then again most things you buy have a 'payback' period. Things is though the inverter corded option is proven technology where as the battery versions are still underpowered for anything thicker than a twig.

Sure you'll find find a solution eventually! :lol:

So if I need to invest in a corded chainsaw and inverter, does a 1750w chainsaw draw a maximum of 1750w or would it peak at more than that? In order to get the right inverter I'd need to know. :lol:

There are some 12v chainsaws on the market - most notably by Makita. I want to de-petrol the boat and in the absence of 240v electrics (other than my little 300w inverter which I use to charge my laptop and my Black & Decker Quattro). My petrol chainsaw has been loaned/sold by a so-called mate so I'm in the market for a new something for the autumn to help me cut up found firewood.

I've got a MUCH better idea.

Carl cuts up a whole leylandii for a bacon butty. Now, assuming that you'll burn the equivalent of 1 leylandii a week, that's about 20 weeks or so you'll need over late autumn/winter/early spring.

So, that's 20 x 4 rashers of bacon, or 80 rashers at about 20p each = £16. Plus bread, at 20 x 2 slices, at 3p each = £1.20. 2 bottles of HP sauce ought to cover the lot, so at say £1.50 each, that's another £3.

So, basically, Carl will cut up all your wood for £20.20 worth of bacon butties.

Much cheaper than a Makita saw!

:lol:

So if I need to invest in a corded chainsaw and inverter, does a 1750w chainsaw draw a maximum of 1750w or would it peak at more than that? In order to get the right inverter I'd need to know. :lol:

To be honest elec trickery is not one of my strong points especially on the subject of spike currents caused by equipment starting up.

I'm not entirely sure exactly how it works but i'm sure someone told me once that power supplies are able to withstand start up surges that go way beyond their design specs as long as its not more than a second or so. Heating effects and all that.

I'm sure someone on here knows the definitive answer though! :lol:

The strongest part of a woman's is across her hips. The day I find a pelvis-powered saw is the day I stop looking for a bargain chainsaw! :lol:

BSP - have you ever tried to use a brace and bit? Your blooming busty bits make it impossible. 'Tis the only reason I can see to keep a chap on the payroll :lol: .

BSP - have you ever tried to use a brace and bit? Your blooming busty bits make it impossible. 'Tis the only reason I can see to keep a chap on the payroll :lol: .

Edited to add interesting body fact: Have you ever seen a man carring anything on his head as in transporting water/ loads?

Probably not - its all to do with posture and women's spines, so my daughter tells me.

Edited to add interesting body fact: Have you ever seen a man carring anything on his head as in transporting water/ loads?

Probably not - its all to do with posture and women's spines, so my daughter tells me.

Strangly enough it is women who are designed by mother naturefor carrying and general hard labour, men are designed to be sleek and athletic for hunting

untitled-3.jpg

Men tend to carry things on their shoulders. Does that fit her theory?

Carrying stuff on your head seems a thoroughly bad idea - made my head hurt when I've tried it!

Tim