Tackling vandals and putting respect back into the riverside

Josher

Featured Posts

An interesting news article today in this is lincolnshire: If anyone feels strongly about this the event is on over the weekend as follows:

This is Lincolnshire

Tackling vandals and putting respect back into the riverside

AN increase in anti-social behaviour and vandalism on Boston's waterways has prompted action by police in a bid to stamp it out.

Riverside areas in Boston and nearby Anton's Gowt have both been highlighted as 'problem areas' and will be focussed on by police and other agencies in a bid resolve the issues.

This weekend, Boston's Neighbourhood Policing Team will join British Transport Police, British Waterways and Boston Borough Community Safety Team to host two education and information days at riverside car park under the Sluice Bridge.

The Mobile Police Station will be situated on the car park and each of the other agencies involved will have a stand offering advice and information.

The event has been organised by PC Fran Harrod from the Boston East Urban Neighbourhood Policing Team, supported by colleagues from the West Urban team which looks after the other side of the river.

He explained: "We are all committed to tackling the anti-social behaviour issues that have blighted these locations in recent months and are keen to listen to the views and opinions of those who have been affected."

All residents and users of the waterways are invited to the event to find out first-hand what measures are being taken to solve the problems.

British Waterways' waterway manager Sean McGinley added: "Lincolnshire's waterways are there for everyone to enjoy, and we want people to do so safely and with respect for others.

"Unfortunately there is a small minority of people that don't show such respect and their actions can have a significant impact on other waterway users.."

The highlight of the event will be the Boston Belle river cruiser and refreshments will be available at The Jolly Sailor café.

The event will run from 10am until 4pm on Saturday and Sunday.

Edited by Josher

Isn't this a namby pamby liberal excuse ? - wasting money on community boating etc.

If children were taught to have respect for others and their surroundings then we would not have to try and engage them in money wasting excercises - the real issue of course is that its their parents that have failed society. If i mis behaved as a child i got a clip round the ear, not a play station or a day trip out on a boat

Grumpy of Leamington Spa !!

If i mis behaved as a child i got a clip round the ear, not a play station or a day trip out on a boat

Why is it always assumed that community boating is a reward for poor behaviour?

You will probably find, if you bothered to look before judging, that the vast majority of kids, who have had trips on community boats have committed no crime.

Why is it always assumed that community boating is a reward for poor behaviour?

You will probably find, if you bothered to look before judging, that the vast majority of kids, who have had trips on community boats have committed no crime.

Indeed so.

However, I do have some misgivings.

Such projects are habitually targetted at kids who are statistically more likely to become offenders in future, whilst those who are statistically less likely to do so get nothing.

Yes, they are worthwhile thngs to do, but they should be available without discrimination

Indeed so.

However, I do have some misgivings.

Such projects are habitually targetted at kids who are statistically more likely to become offenders in future, whilst those who are statistically less likely to do so get nothing.

Yes, they are worthwhile thngs to do, but they should be available without discrimination

It will hardly surprise you that I will take issue with at least part of that

At the age of ten, I was with my parents going down to Camden on hire boat, the pirate club boats were out and about

They got a day on a community boat

I got a two week holiday

I think I got the better out of the deal

Isn't this a namby pamby liberal excuse ? - wasting money on community boating etc.

If children were taught to have respect for others and their surroundings then we would not have to try and engage them in money wasting excercises - the real issue of course is that its their parents that have failed society. If i mis behaved as a child i got a clip round the ear, not a play station or a day trip out on a boat

Grumpy of Leamington Spa !!

or it could be that society has failed both the kids and their parents, hence their shit behavior and shit parenting skills.

But yeah, beat your kids. That'll learn em.

I can't do any better than what Patrick said...

...unless you are really calling for a redistribution of wealth, in order that kids from poorer families do not have to rely on community projects, to get the same opportunities as kids with wealthier parents, in which case we are in full agreement, once more.

I can't do any better than what Patrick said...

...unless you are really calling for a redistribution of wealth, in order that kids from poorer families do not have to rely on community projects, to get the same opportunities as kids with wealthier parents, in which case we are in full agreement, once more.

No, I am calling for the kids from wealthier parents to have the same opportunities to go along on free/subsidised boat trips.

Now I know you're either playing Devil's Advocate or have lost the plot completely.

If it is the latter then naturally I wouldn't know about it (wibble).

But no, I am not playing devil's advocate.

What is wrong with my suggestion?

What is wrong with my suggestion?

I refer you to Patrick's post.

Your suggestion that wealthy families are discriminated against because they don't get to go on community boat trips is really not worth arguing against.

Edited by carlt

Where did I say that community boat schemes are for wrong 'uns only. It's not how they operate or what they were started for. There are no 'free boat trips for naughty boys.'

Methinks people have been believing what they read in the Fail again.

They don't discriminate against the local rich kids at Pirates - all are welcome. Canoe club costs the same small fee whether you are rich or poor. Anyone can (and does) join the club. Rich, poor, old, young.

Some kids are from awful backgrounds, some are not. What everyone gains from the scheme is a respect for the canal and its users. It is great to go down there and see these kids removing junk from the canal (rather than throwing it in). This attitude will stay with them their whole lives. It is a joy to meet local families who have grown up with the club and the love they have for the waterways.

It is a shame that the attitude of some is 'something for nothing, not fair.'

Edited by Lady Muck

Where did I say that community boat schemes are for wrong 'uns only. It's not how they operate or what they were started for. There are no 'free boat trips for naughty boys.'

Methinks people have been believing what they read in the Fail again.

They don't discriminate against the local rich kids at Pirates - all are welcome. Canoe club costs the same small fee whether you are rich or poor. Anyone can join the club. Some kids are from awful backgrounds, some are not. What everyone gains from the scheme is a respect for the canal and its users.

Splendid, and I warmly endorse the project in that case.

Othr projects do not always seem so open.

It will hardly surprise you that I will take issue with at least part of that

At the age of ten, I was with my parents going down to Camden on hire boat, the pirate club boats were out and about

They got a day on a community boat

I got a two week holiday

I think I got the better out of the deal

Perhaps you did, perhaps you didn't.

I refer you to Patrick's post.

Your suggestion that wealthy families are discriminated against because they don't get to go on community boat trips is really not worth arguing against.

Why?

It is clearly the case that SOME children from wealthy families will get the opportunity to go away for a couple of weeks with their parents, many will not, because it isn't their parent's "thing"

If they can't access community boats, then they are never going to get the opportunity.

Money doesn't really come into it. Deprived kids come from all walks of life. Neglect hasn't financial boundrys. Of course these trips should be available to all not just the 'bad' kids. I would advocate rewarding children for being well behaved rather than misbehaving.

Sue

As boating gets ever more expensive, I think community boat schemes are going to be ever more important. The adult volunteer helmsmen we know have often told us it is the only way they or their families can get proper access to boats.

We crew the boat trips occasionally - they are a really broad based section of society, off the top of my head, we've done trips for student dentists, doctors, hens and stags, youth clubs from all over the country, scouts, brownies, guides, tramps from the shelter (imagine 12 Father Jacks and you've got it in one). Anyone can hire the boats and crew, it's not exclusive to anyone. The boats generate funds for the charity and raise awareness whenever they are out and about.

If they can't access community boats, then they are never going to get the opportunity.

Are you assuming they can't?

I'm sure if any child contacted a community boat project, they would be pleased to accommodate them.

Of course these trips should be available to all not just the 'bad' kids.

They are.

I would think there are very few trips organised solely for young offenders.

Are you assuming they can't?

I'm sure if any child contacted a community boat project, they would be pleased to accommodate them.

That is where the inequality lies.

A child of an affluent family whose parents don't take him/her boating is unlikely to find a community boat project seeking him/her out.

A child of a family on a sink estate is likely to find a community boat project advertising opportunities.

Inequality doesn't always work the way you imagine.

That is where the inequality lies.

A child of an affluent family whose parents don't take him/her boating is unlikely to find a community boat project seeking him/her out.

A child of a family on a sink estate is likely to find a community boat project advertising opportunities.

Please stop, you're going to make me cry if you go on any more about this poor, under-privileged affluent child.

I would think there are very few trips organised solely for young offenders.

As opposed to the plethora of boat trips undertaken by old offensives. :lol:

Certainly not on Planet Mayall.

Personally I'd have given up all those lovely subsidised coach trips to Mablethorpe, second hand charity school uniforms, state subsidised housing in a shithole of a council estate and free school dinners, for a bit of what the kids were getting, in the leafy suburbs, across town.

We didn't know we were born!

Personally I'd have given up all those lovely subsidised coach trips to Mablethorpe, second hand charity school uniforms, state subsidised housing in a shithole of a council estate and free school dinners, for a bit of what the kids were getting, in the leafy suburbs, across town the Pennines.

Personally I'd have given up all those lovely subsidised coach trips to Mablethorpe, second hand charity school uniforms, state subsidised housing in a shithole of a council estate and free school dinners, for a bit of what the kids were getting, in the leafy suburbs, across town.

Yes terrible it was living in a leafy suburb across town with only two holidays abroad a year, two hot meals a day, having to wear new clothes, being driven to school in the Jag. I would have given it all up for a trip on the community boat :lol: