Power plant 'would ruin Marina views'

Josher

Featured Posts

This is Derbyshire.

THE owners of a Derbyshire marina fear a planned £1 billion power station would ruin the scenic views from the tourist attraction.

And Madecorn Leisure, which runs the £7m Mercia Marina in Willington, has called for conditions to be imposed on the development to ensure steps are taken to shield the plant from sight.

In April last year, energy giant RWE Npower announced it was considering building the plant on the site of Willington Power Station.

The project would create 2,000 jobs in the construction phase and up to 100 would be employed to run the plant, off Twyford Road.

And to make way for the plant, the iconic cooling towers would be demolished.

Marina manager Robert Neff believes the development could damage the business if "nothing is done to conceal the power station".

He said: "We're not against the new development, but we want to ensure the landscaping is done properly.

"We're planning to plant trees to help obscure the view of the new buildings for the marina users. We just hope appropriate screening is also made a priority by the developers."

Plans for the scheme were revealed after permission for housing on the site was refused after a public inquiry.

In December, the German-owned company submitted a planning application for the power station to the Government Department of Energy and Climate Change.

While the final decision lies with the Secretary of State, South Derbyshire District Council's planning committee is due to discuss the proposal on Thursday before passing on any comments.

The authority's design and conservation officer has also raised concerns about the visual impact the plant would have on the nearby Trent and Mersey Canal.

In the report to the committee it states: "the proposed development would represent an overall reduced visual impact on the Trent and Mersey Canal Conservation Area."

The officer has also called for "sufficient" landscaping and "screening" to minimise the visual impact.

The Trent and Mersey Canal Society has echoed concerns about the impact on views and requested a "green barrier" is installed to help shield the site from view.

Mike Peel, RWE Npower Project Manager, said the company was committed to thoroughly investigating all potential impacts of a new power station, including how it could look.

He said: "We have worked closely with South Derbyshire District Council to assess the potential visual impact of a new power station to ensure it would not have a detrimental effect.

"In addition, our proposals include a comprehensive landscaping scheme to further screen the proposed buildings."

Council planners have recommended that the authority backs the proposal.

A touch of paint perhaps..........cooling_tower.jpg

Or even some serious R & C's

GB

where the heck are they?

Living as I do in Selby, I have the views, of Drax, Eggborough, and on a bad day Ferrybridge as well, stillthese plants are nearing demolition time, i guess these will be gone in 10 years, well I hope so

I don't understand the objections: it's not as if it was currently an unspoiled pastoral location, there's a power station there already with great big looming cooling towers. How will the new power station be worse?

Living as I do in Selby, I have the views, of Drax, Eggborough, and on a bad day Ferrybridge as well, stillthese plants are nearing demolition time, i guess these will be gone in 10 years, well I hope so

CoolingTowers.jpg

Some of the most beautiful structures built during the last 50 years. Long may they survive, and continue to give punctiation to some of the most boring and least landmarked sections of rivers in the area!

It annoys me that people want to have electricity, but aren't willing to pay for it by having to look at a power station, did-dums.

Mike

CoolingTowers.jpg

Some of the most beautiful structures built during the last 50 years. Long may they survive, and continue to give punctiation to some of the most boring and least landmarked sections of rivers in the area!

I'm with you on this. I don't mind the new power station going in at Willington, but I'm very sad that the old cooling towers will be going, if that's the case.

It annoys me that people want to have electricity, but aren't willing to pay for it by having to look at a power station, did-dums.

Mike

Hear hear!! I love them. Barnby Dun is one of my favourite moorings just so I can gaze at the cooling towers. And as for a trip up the Trent or through Ferrybridge - ahhhhh!! Heaven!!

Hear hear!! I love them. Barnby Dun is one of my favourite moorings just so I can gaze at the cooling towers. And as for a trip up the Trent or through Ferrybridge - ahhhhh!! Heaven!!

Ah yes, the Trent and Ouse just wouldnt be the same with out the cooling towers. How else would we know which section of river we are on :lol:

We say they are just cooling towers but the water company said that when they tried to demolish the old pumping station at Claymills - been round it and it is a superb example of our industrial heritage. http://www.claymills.org.uk/

I agree it seems a bit ridiculous that people may object to a power station when there was one there before ....

We say they are just cooling towers but the water company said that when they tried to demolish the old pumping station at Claymills - been round it and it is a superb example of our industrial heritage. http://www.claymills.org.uk/

I agree it seems a bit ridiculous that people may object to a power station when there was one there before ....

Aah - yes - but it wasn't there when the owners of Mercia Marina sunk their £6 million into creating a well-landscaped marina

Aah - yes - but it wasn't there when the owners of Mercia Marina sunk their £6 million into creating a well-landscaped marina

The site was, and the site's last use according to its planning permission was industrial, so it doesn't take much imagination to think it may be used for one industrial undertaking or another again.

CoolingTowers.jpg

I totally agree. I love cooling towers. Particlularly the ones at Ironbridge which have a very distinctive red colour designed to blend in with the local geology and soil colour. They don't blend in at all, but I think that is a good thing!

When I win the lottery I am going to buy one a turn it into a James Bond villain style house.

Edited by Speedwheel

I think I'm more upset by the fact the cooling towers are going

Yeah ditto really, cracking things!

I don't understand the objections: it's not as if it was currently an unspoiled pastoral location, there's a power station there already with great big looming cooling towers. How will the new power station be worse?

Because they are struggling to fill the spaces?