Engine Headaches

Featured Posts

I think I do have one. Hope it's safe, though. Unfortunately there will be added postage price added. E-Bay would be a bit too complicated so thus far it seems as if I'll have to import.

Do you not have a debit card for your bank account? That should work fine (I do it all the time).

Tony

Staffordshire area. I did go to an engineering place and they said they could get parts but only a bulk order and not as economical as this. However, if you find on the net a supplier that sells the same rings, let me know. Otherwise I'll import from North Carolina.

The head gaskets I'm sure I can get in this country but rings were hard to find.

Where are you based Fortunata? Nearest town/city will do

Richard

I'll get them from North Carolina, I think, seeing as I have a girlfriend in that particular State. The overall price isn't too bad, far far lower than quoted at my local diesel rebuild firm. They told me they'd have a very hard time getting the rings themselves and could only source existing stocks. I asked them about a sump gasket as well. That way I can slide the pistons back in, torque up the conrod pins and then refit the sump. After that I can grease the piston crowns to stop any ingress of dirt.

Staffordshire is a bit vague, however:

http://www.istaffordshire.co.uk/local/engine-rebuilding-and-reconditioning/

You could try contacting one of those

Richard

Turns out this is the real deal. Although based in North Carolina, it appears to be a proper German autoparts set-up. They got in touch by e-mail and payment is simple enough to a German bank.

Staffordshire is a bit vague, however:

Edited by FORTUNATA

I didn't figure on payment being so complicated. My bank won't give me a credit card as I was made redundant so they say you have to be fully employed to get one. Yet my account balance covers the actual transaction of 51 dollars for the rings and packaging easily. That leaves debit but I'm not sure debit is used that much in the U.S. The only alternative I suggested to the engineering firm is MoneyGram where the post office delivers cash abroad.

I was going to wire it to the German bank but my bank wanted to charge me 20 pounds for the service. So, I didn't bother.

To be honest I get this problem with banks all the time. I may wind up simply sending the dollar bills in an envelope.

Paypal was suggested by them but I don't know much about it and never used it.

Hopefully I should eventually get the rings sent to me.

... I'm not sure debit is used that much in the U.S.

If your bank debit card is of the Visa variety (i.e. a Visa Debit Card) then anyone in the US will take it. If your debit card is a Maestro, then US stores 'might' accept it - you'd check the box for "Mastercard". If their checkout is card agnostic (if you don't have to tell them what type, just enter the numbers) then they should accept either.

If your bank doesn't offer either a Visa or Maestro debit card it's time to move banks.

Tony

These days I have a bit of a hangup over banks. Not what you'd call a happy customer at all. They always seem to pester me to sign up to whatever "higher interest" scheme is around but when I want something doing myself, it's frequently a different story. I once had my wallet stolen and that included my bank book. I went to the bank straight after the night shift (tired) and immediately cancelled the old account. That was for security purposes as someone may have had the old bank book. Guess what? My bank then wouldn't let me open a new bank account so I could access my money. I told them I needed to get it sorted as I'd be back at work later on in the day. Even despite the fact they knew me visually as a customer for over a decade they wouldn't accept my proof of identity. I spent the whole day searching for further documents and virtually the entire problem was connected to the fact I lived on a boat.

Actually my whole attitude towards banks has changed. But maybe this is Virtual Pub territory.

If your bank debit card is of the Visa variety (i.e. a Visa Debit Card) then anyone in the US will take it. If your debit card is a Maestro, then US stores 'might' accept it - you'd check the box for "Mastercard". If their checkout is card agnostic (if you don't have to tell them what type, just enter the numbers) then they should accept either.

If your bank doesn't offer either a Visa or Maestro debit card it's time to move banks.

Tony

It would still be better in many ways to find a local engine refurbisher. You can discuss what you have and let them source the parts for you, then pay in a way convenient to you both

Richard

I didn't figure on payment being so complicated. My bank won't give me a credit card as I was made redundant so they say you have to be fully employed to get one. Yet my account balance covers the actual transaction of 51 dollars for the rings and packaging easily. That leaves debit but I'm not sure debit is used that much in the U.S. The only alternative I suggested to the engineering firm is MoneyGram where the post office delivers cash abroad.

I was going to wire it to the German bank but my bank wanted to charge me 20 pounds for the service. So, I didn't bother.

To be honest I get this problem with banks all the time. I may wind up simply sending the dollar bills in an envelope.

Paypal was suggested by them but I don't know much about it and never used it.

Hopefully I should eventually get the rings sent to me.

Most UK Banks can provide a Visa Debit Card. This is acceptable world wide and, for transactions >£5, costs the vendor less than a Credit Card. Except for the charge the vendor will see no difference between a Visa Credit Card and a Visa Debit Card. What are you going to do when cheques are (soon) phased out?

Your Bank (why not name and shame them?) may not offer a Credit Card but there are Credit Cards you could access; see Top Credit Rebuild Cards from Money Saving Expert - Martin Lewis for good advice.

Pay-Pal works well and has a European base - in Ireland I believe. You do not have to sign up for a Pay-Pal account to pay with the common Debit and Credit Cards. Ebay is tied in to PayPal so most Ebay sellers accept Paypal payments. Transaction Charges are paid by the vendor; if you pay in a different currency the charges and exchange rates are competitive. Best of all, only PayPal have your Bank details - never the vendor. PayPal also have a good dispute resolution policy.

When you pay with PayPal their site emphasises the advantages of opening an account but there is a less obvious link that allows you to pay with a Debit or Credit Card. If you do not have a Credit Card, try registering with PayPal. They will debit a small sum (<£1) from your Bank Account and credit it to your PayPal Account. You then advise them of the actual amount debited (e.g. £0.87) to confirm that you own the debited account. Subsequently, when you pay via your PayPal account the sum will be requested from your Bank Account and you and the Vendor will be advised if the debit was successful.

BTW, if you get good service from an Ebay Vendor please provide positive feedback - no feedback is considered to be a negative response!

I have no connection with PayPal or Ebay except as a satisfied user.

Paying a German supplier in Euros via PayPal is more secure, and possibly cheaper, then buying US$ or Euro notes and posting them.

Why not track down the supplier in Germany and deal directly with them? No problems with VAT, Import Duty, faulty goods etc.

I still believe that a UK Motor Factor (not your recon. Workshop!) will get you the best deal.

Try Europarts - get some prices then go to your local Factor and haggle.

Alan

<snip>

I still believe that a UK Motor Factor (not your recon. Workshop!) will get you the best deal.

<snip>

Alan

Most of the Motor Factors down our way now sell car mats, Neon strip lights and a multitude of potions in spray cans. The only place you'd get any sense about bearing shells, gaskets or piston rings is at an engine refurbishers.

Perhaps the rest of the country still has proper shops

Richard

They will debit a small sum (<£1) from your Bank Account and credit it to your PayPal Account. You then advise them of the actual amount debited (e.g. £0.87) to confirm that you own the debited account.

Actually, I believe that they credit your bank account, with two small amounts both less than £1.

Tony

I had to order a new debit card as the old one was out of date. So, now I'm waiting for the debit card to come and the German firm tells me I can easily use my debit card on their website. No idea why a bank wouldn't give out a credit card if someone is out of work. So long as there is enough money in an account that's what matters. They only have to limit the card or something like that. And what about customer track records? That's what irritates me these days with banks.

Most UK Banks can provide a Visa Debit Card. This is acceptable world wide and, for transactions >£5, costs the vendor less than a Credit Card. Except for the charge the vendor will see no difference between a Visa Credit Card and a Visa Debit Card. What are you going to do when cheques are (soon) phased out?

Your Bank (why not name and shame them?) may not offer a Credit Card but there are Credit Cards you could access; see Top Credit Rebuild Cards from Money Saving Expert - Martin Lewis for good advice.

Pay-Pal works well and has a European base - in Ireland I believe. You do not have to sign up for a Pay-Pal account to pay with the common Debit and Credit Cards. Ebay is tied in to PayPal so most Ebay sellers accept Paypal payments. Transaction Charges are paid by the vendor; if you pay in a different currency the charges and exchange rates are competitive. Best of all, only PayPal have your Bank details - never the vendor. PayPal also have a good dispute resolution policy.

When you pay with PayPal their site emphasises the advantages of opening an account but there is a less obvious link that allows you to pay with a Debit or Credit Card. If you do not have a Credit Card, try registering with PayPal. They will debit a small sum (<£1) from your Bank Account and credit it to your PayPal Account. You then advise them of the actual amount debited (e.g. £0.87) to confirm that you own the debited account. Subsequently, when you pay via your PayPal account the sum will be requested from your Bank Account and you and the Vendor will be advised if the debit was successful.

BTW, if you get good service from an Ebay Vendor please provide positive feedback - no feedback is considered to be a negative response!

I have no connection with PayPal or Ebay except as a satisfied user.

Paying a German supplier in Euros via PayPal is more secure, and possibly cheaper, then buying US$ or Euro notes and posting them.

Why not track down the supplier in Germany and deal directly with them? No problems with VAT, Import Duty, faulty goods etc.

Try Europarts - get some prices then go to your local Factor and haggle.

Alan

Richard, I think my current location is pretty substandard for engineering parts. It didn't used to be the case. Someone gave me a 1976 canal waterways booklet and back then (in this same location), there were boatyards offering hireboats, full engine service (outboards and diesels), quality engineers workshops and everything affordable. That has changed a lot. Sure, you can get parts for modern engines but once you go back to early car models, you see people scratching their heads. There is only one other engine refurbisher in my area but I figure the company I found in North Carolina has to be good because the owner is German, probably very familiar with V.W. 51 dollars is also only about 35 pounds so probably it's a reasonable deal.

Hopefully the firm I found will be reliable and I'll get what I need. I keep telling myself I really need to get my ass in gear and get this project speeded up.

Most of the Motor Factors down our way now sell car mats, Neon strip lights and a multitude of potions in spray cans. The only place you'd get any sense about bearing shells, gaskets or piston rings is at an engine refurbishers.

Perhaps the rest of the country still has proper shops

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was very surprised to find I've gotten an interview for a trainee diesel mechanic vacancy. It's like overhaul. I wrote to the firm and told them I'd learned some basic skills so far but it was only with one engine and I yet had to finish the project. They wrote me back and said I could be interviewed. Lucky maybe as I'm not a mechanic. I mean, they know the score and I didn't really think I had a cat's chance in hell.

I think it would be handy if I got taken on as I would then have more money to spend on parts and access to better tools.

It will probably only go as far as an interview but you never know.

P.S. I have the debit card now and hopefully it will be secure online.

This would be handy as they'll have all the workshop tools. My chances are probably very slim but I've got nothing to lose by turning up. Really it would say far more if I'd finished the project but lately I've been spending a lot of time trying to find work so I can fund myself. The job requires dismantling diesels using workshop manuals as a guide, That's what I've been doing here so it helps a bit.

Great news! Good luck with the interview :)

Don't worry about "not being a mechanic" - no trainee is. That's why they're trainees.

Tony

Well, if the result of this thread is that you end up with a job, I shall be very satisfied with the help I have contributed to this thread.

Best of luck with your interview, I'm really delighted

Richard

Your help has been terrific and greatly appreciated throughout. Tony Brooks also been very helpful and everybody constructive. The problem for me is none of my work has been tested yet so nobody knows if it's my natural vocation. I guess i'd also have to work a damned site faster than the current pace too but money will help for sure.

Well, if the result of this thread is that you end up with a job, I shall be very satisfied with the help I have contributed to this thread.

Best of luck with your interview, I'm really delighted

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

It turned out to be way too far out from where I live but I do have some work at the moment.

I've been totally stuck on this German website that has the piston rings I need and the mind simply boggles. I now have a debit card but the website is a nightmare to use. Thus far it won't let me buy 4 sets of rings, only 3 sets.

I did try some U.K. sites as Richard suggested earlier but the prices here are way over. The average is 90 quid compared with the 51 U.S. dollars here:

www.westportparts.com

I did get to the billing and shipping section but it only priced up 3 sets of rings and not 4.

I also need a Lister manifold gasket but found these easy to get in this country.