Engine Headaches

Featured Posts

It turned out to be way too far out from where I live but I do have some work at the moment.

I've been totally stuck on this German website that has the piston rings I need and the mind simply boggles. I now have a debit card but the website is a nightmare to use. Thus far it won't let me buy 4 sets of rings, only 3 sets.

I did try some U.K. sites as Richard suggested earlier but the prices here are way over. The average is 90 quid compared with the 51 U.S. dollars here:

www.westportparts.com

I did get to the billing and shipping section but it only priced up 3 sets of rings and not 4.

I also need a Lister manifold gasket but found these easy to get in this country.

Have a read of this.

What exactly are you after, have you phoned around and tried posting to some VW forums?

cheers,

Pete.

Thanks for that. So, it's what you might call a "fly-by-night" affair. I'm afraid I'm a bit green when it comes to internet sales but what I found odd (now I think of it) is the firm wouldn't accept a cheque. Not even posted money as there is no address.

So, the problem is now I can try elsewhere but the prices in the U.K. are close to 90 quid. How I wonder can I get piston rings for a MK1 Golf late seventies (and affordable). I'll have to try again.

P.S. Lister parts aren't so difficult.

Have a read of this.

What exactly are you after, have you phoned around and tried posting to some VW forums?

cheers,

Pete.

He's evidently sold some items at bargain prices but I must say the website is a shambles. It simply doesn't work. All I could get was three sets of rings and I need four. The bill was for three sets of rings but no box to add any imput on the website.

Priot to this I did take a few precautions with my visa card but now fear maybe I'd wind up withone very large bill for currency conversion and shipping.

Have to start again, I guess. Maybe try in Germany.

Ooohhh...

Yes but prices very very high as the engine model is obsolete now. Most rings are around the 90 quid mark. I actgually went to one vehicle engine construction firm and they said they'd have a real hard time getting them and that the price would be high.

Have a read of this.

cheers,

Pete.

For some reason westportparts.com would not display in Firefox on my GPRS connection. Looking at the source code there is a link to Standard Size Piston Rings for 1979> Golf, Rabbit etc. I carefully (allowing the page to refresh) clicked 'add-to-cart' four times then clicked 'show shopping cart' and found four entries for '1G/1V Standard Piston Rings' @ $9, total $36; next step, click 'Rest-of-the-World' for shipping charges. It also says "Order a fifth item (e.g. your gasket) and get 10% off! Further, "If you are having problems adding items to the shopping cart, please use HansCarParts.com . It has a new shopping cart . . .

Thanks for that. So, it's what you might call a "fly-by-night" affair. I'm afraid I'm a bit green when it comes to internet sales but what I found odd (now I think of it) is the firm wouldn't accept a cheque. Not even posted money as there is no address. So, the problem is now I can try elsewhere but the prices in the U.K. are close to 90 quid. How I wonder can I get piston rings for a MK1 Golf late seventies (and affordable). I'll have to try again.

P.S. Lister parts aren't so difficult.

Cheques are insecure, even after they are 'cleared' the Bank can refuse to pay. If you send me cash neither of us can prove it; best way to win a face-to-face transaction.

Rothenbacher do have a real address and admit, even link to their associated web addresses.

Despite the slating from a VW Forum with a self-interest in sales, if you follow the link to the BBB Site you will see that the few complaints have been resolved.

He's evidently sold some items at bargain prices but I must say the website is a shambles. It simply doesn't work. All I could get was three sets of rings and I need four. The bill was for three sets of rings but no box to add any imput on the website.

Priot to this I did take a few precautions with my visa card but now fear maybe I'd wind up withone very large bill for currency conversion and shipping.

Their 'Shopping Cart Page' has a link: 'Contact customer support here': questions@eMiata.com

Yes but prices very very high as the engine model is obsolete now. Most rings are around the 90 quid mark. I actgually went to one vehicle engine construction firm and they said they'd have a real hard time getting them and that the price would be high.

You have stated over and over again that your engine rebuild is an 'educational exercise'; these 'cheap' rings are ideal for your purpose. Typically, a Credit Card foreign currency transaction will be processed at Commercial Rates but a Debit Card at Tourist Rates. Pay-Pal works out best for me.

My personal view is that Rothenbacher is a legitimate (honest) operation let down by his web developer.

Alan

Managed to find a message about piston rings bought from there that isn't negative (linky)

Wasn't trying to put you off, just highlight why the other places charged more.

If you do decide on ordering from there maybe order a spare set or two in case of breakages?

If it's a problem paying by card, maybe ask if they'll accept dollars in cash via international registered post.

ETA: Try on this forum? (linky)

This seems to be a well regarded supplier (linky)

If you google the part numbers there are plenty of other suppliers eg (linky)

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny but I just mailed him and explained my problem. It was before I read the extra comments on this thread but I was already getting the notion Rothenbacher's problem is he has a really crap website that simply doesn't work. That becomes obvious once you try to order from it. There is no facility to bypass the system once you've clicked on an item. Also his insistance on visa or credit card payment is an obstacle as I took the trouble to find out about cash delivery by mail which is easier for me to do as my bank wouldn't give me credit anyway.

I got a mail from him and then I wrote back and explained I need 4 rings so maybe we'll see if this can be resolved. Despite some bad feedback (probably due to his website) this guy is reputed to be far cheaper. In this country I'd be looking at 90 quid or more but with this guy possibly 40 or 50 quid at most.

For some reason westportparts.com would not display in Firefox on my GPRS connection. Looking at the source code there is a link to Standard Size Piston Rings for 1979> Golf, Rabbit etc. I carefully (allowing the page to refresh) clicked 'add-to-cart' four times then clicked 'show shopping cart' and found four entries for '1G/1V Standard Piston Rings' @ $9, total $36; next step, click 'Rest-of-the-World' for shipping charges. It also says "Order a fifth item (e.g. your gasket) and get 10% off! Further, "If you are having problems adding items to the shopping cart, please use HansCarParts.com . It has a new shopping cart . . .

Cheques are insecure, even after they are 'cleared' the Bank can refuse to pay. If you send me cash neither of us can prove it; best way to win a face-to-face transaction.

Rothenbacher do have a real address and admit, even link to their associated web addresses.

Despite the slating from a VW Forum with a self-interest in sales, if you follow the link to the BBB Site you will see that the few complaints have been resolved.

Their 'Shopping Cart Page' has a link: 'Contact customer support here': questions@eMiata.com

You have stated over and over again that your engine rebuild is an 'educational exercise'; these 'cheap' rings are ideal for your purpose. Typically, a Credit Card foreign currency transaction will be processed at Commercial Rates but a Debit Card at Tourist Rates. Pay-Pal works out best for me.

My personal view is that Rothenbacher is a legitimate (honest) operation let down by his web developer.

Alan

O.K. he wrote me and total price is 58 American dollars. That's roughly 30 pounds or there about. Not too bad. They do specify there's a 5mm ring and a 1 mm ring so it's best I check my own to be sure. However, I should soon be getting a full set of rings for my pistons - which is one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!