Chassis and Engine Black

Featured Posts

Oh, I don't know. Splash of tonic and a slice of lemon perhaps

Richard

Come on, it's summer now, mint, cucumber and a strawberry I reckon.

I hardly seem to see paint without Xylene or Tolulene in it these days. Both our Jotun primers use it, so does our matt black, etc etc ad infinitum. As well as all the car-painting products I've used in the last ten years. I'm still here, and I wash my hands in the stuff (thinking of it, so does Creamcheese), just anyway, *cough*, ooooooh, feel a bit funny. :lol:

PC

Edited to add, don't do what I say *or* do, it takes a lot of practice to be as careless as this.

Edited by paulcatchpole

I've googled the supplier which is A & M Paints in Orpington, but there's no other indication of the make of the product. If the weather's good at the weekend I'll trial it on a discreet bit of boat to see how it dries. I would like to use it if possible, as there seems to be a lot of it, it's free, and my boat has a lot of rust and peeling paint to tart up. I've already got the wire brush, sandpaper and Vactan, so it'd be a shame not to use it.

Incidentally, although I haven't drunk any of it yet, it's gotta taste better than my Bacardi with flat ASDA low sugar berry crush, which I just made myself :lol:

One of the remaining tins of paint I have discovered in the boat is a large tin labelled "Chassis and Engine Black" - which I assume is the matt black stuff you use on the underside of a car. If I use any of this on any of the external superstructure of the boat will it:

1. stand up to weather?
  2. be able to be overpainted with normal boat gloss in the future when I have some cash?
  3. be varnishable if I use it to paint something decorative?

Anyone ever used this stuff?

Thanks

If it`s the genuine old fashioned chassis black it was a sort of petrol & oil resistant tarry type paint, you would find it would probably work well in somewhere like the bilges, as IIRC it was pretty water proof. I would NOT use it any part above the waterline outside the boat

As said, i would expect it to come out a little like hamerite smooth, which is another GP/Automotive xylene based product.

- If you do set about painting it on, be aware as said you will need some xylene (such as hammerite brushcleaner) to wash the brish out.

- Another xylene based product you might have come accross is rylards incralac. Which also cleans out with the same, or not at all.

As for engine paint, you dont really need anything overly special for a engine, certainly a watercooled engine. As long as its fairly sticky, oil resistant, and doesnt soften when warm, its not going to see any more than 100deg c or simular. Which a black roof could get close to on a sunny day.

Daniel

As said, i would expect it to come out a little like hamerite smooth, which is another GP/Automotive xylene based product.

- If you do set about painting it on, be aware as said you will need some xylene (such as hammerite brushcleaner) to wash the brish out.

- Another xylene based product you might have come accross is rylards incralac. Which also cleans out with the same, or not at all.

As for engine paint, you dont really need anything overly special for a engine, certainly a watercooled engine. As long as its fairly sticky, oil resistant, and doesnt soften when warm, its not going to see any more than 100deg c or simular. Which a black roof could get close to on a sunny day.

Daniel

I don't need to paint the engine. However the bilge area is very rusty and could do with a lick of paint.

But I'm perplexed by all the advice now. I've been advised to use it on the superstructure but not use it on the superstructure, and use it the engine area but not use it in the engine area. :lol:

I don't need to paint the engine. However the bilge area is very rusty and could do with a lick of paint.

But I'm perplexed by all the advice now. I've been advised to use it on the superstructure but not use it on the superstructure, and use it the engine area but not use it in the engine area. :lol:

It's xylene based. That means that it's 'probably' similar to Hammerite Smooth. That means that it would 'probably' be good for gunwales. I wouldn't use it in the engine bay or any other enclosed area because the fumes will make you squiffy.

The alternative would be to take it to the tip :lol:

If you look around your boat do you have any areas that are painted with a hard black paint? Like the gunwales? If so, that's what the previous owner 'probably' used it on.

Cheers,

ProbableTone :lol:

I wouldn't use it in the engine area or engine bilges myself. Not because of what it is made of but because it is black.

It's hard enough to find lost things around an engine bay without making it difficult to see as well

Richard

that's probly why the tin of paint is still on the boat the original owner couldn't find anything to paint with it :lol:

I think he gave up after applying much of the tin of navy gloss to the roof without prepping it properly and watched it gradually flake off - hence my finding the navy tin almost empty and the red and cream paints almost untouched. I suspect the same of this giant tin of chassis black because I've seen nothing on the boat painted in the stuff.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

If it`s the genuine old fashioned chassis black it was a sort of petrol & oil resistant tarry type paint, you would find it would probably work well in somewhere like the bilges, as IIRC it was pretty water proof. I would NOT use it any part above the waterline outside the boat

It sounds like the Chassis Black that I used by the gallon a few years back.....well OK maybe a few more years when cars had chassis! Couldn't have been that dangerous as I'm still here.

It's marvellous for covering 'not too well prepared' surfaces and sticks like poo on a blanket. Just don't ever try to get it off!

Also used it to paint engine mounts and such like but would not recommend doing the block etc.

It sounds like the Chassis Black that I used by the gallon a few years back.....well OK maybe a few more years when cars had chassis! Couldn't have been that dangerous as I'm still here.

It's marvellous for covering 'not too well prepared' surfaces and sticks like poo on a blanket. Just don't ever try to get it off!

Also used it to paint engine mounts and such like but would not recommend doing the block etc.

Like your terminology! :lol:

Oh well, with so many very varied opinions about where not to use it, I think I'll test a bit out somewhere discreet - although that won't tell me what it will look like longterm. I have a choice - either to use it on the superstructure of the boat or in the wet bilge. Both are Rustsville Tennessee. However if I get it wrong and can't paint over it in the future or it peels off in the hot / cold / wet / exposure to duck footprints, then I is b*ggered. :lol:

On the plus side - it's freeeeeee! :lol:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

it's a paint that is used widely in the commercial vehicle industry.

xylene is no worse than using standard paint thinners,ensure plenty of ventilation when painting in confined space

it will be ideal used in the engine bilges

Sharky