Lister SR3 User`s Manual

jerrytug

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,just a quick Q on behalf of my mate,where can he get a Lister SR3 User`s Manual with basic operating instructions etc (not a full workshop overhaul manual),pref a cheap photocopy,he`s at Braunston,thanks a lot,Jerry

He might try walking along to UCC and offering Jono a copious quantity of beer

Edited by Keeping Up

• 8 months later...

hi anyone here know about lister sr3's

have been trying to start a friends engine after an oil change

whats the procedure for starting one of these things

what do the levers on top of the rocker covers do

have been trying to start the thing but the battery is a bit old and cooked

managed to get it to start and fire but didnt get the revs up in time and it stalled....now waiting for battery to charge

if anyone out there has a manual i'd really appreciate a copy

thanks

Ian

managed to get it to start and fire but didnt get the revs up in time and it stalled....now waiting for battery to charge

thanks

Ian

Hi Ian.

The levers are valve lifters, more accurately they stop the exhaust closing so making the engine much easier to spin round on starting. For reluctant engines you can use the technique of operating all the levers and get the engine spinning (there will be no compression) then release one at at a time as the cylinders 'kick in'.

Some engines were produced with the valve lifters mechanically coupled, it is often advisable to de-couple them.

The levers are valve lifters, more accurately they stop the exhaust closing so making the engine much easier to spin round on starting. For reluctant engines you can use the technique of operating all the levers and get the engine spinning (there will be no compression) then release one at at a time as the cylinders 'kick in'.

Yes,

They would also be used if you were trying to hand-start one of these engines.

Operate them all, then crank by hand like mad, and, as John says, if you are lucky, each cylinder will fire as you operate each lever in turn to reintoduce the compression.

When I worked for a hire boat firm as a Saturday job in the 1970s, we had to be able to show hirers how to do this, as it predated the days when you had separate leisure and starter batteries, so if you ran too much at night, hand starting became your only option the next day.

I don't think too many hirers ever managed it that easily with a cold engine, though!.....

thanks

Ian

Ian

Send me your email address and I'll forward you a copy of the manual

Geoff

I have a similar engine - an SR2.

If your battery is a bit tired, put all the levers over. Get a big spanner or stilson on the shaft where it sticks out of the front (towards front of boat). Turn it over a few times - this is safe with the levers over, as there will be no risk of kickback.

Set the throttle to about 1/3rd position.

Then turn the ignition on, start the engine spinning. It takes a few seconds for the starter to reach full speed. Flip one lever over, that cylinder should fire, as soon as it does, you can let go of the ignition key, flip a second then a third lever.

As soon as all 3 cylinders are firing, throttle back, let her warm up before increasing throttle again.

These engines don't have glowplugs, but I don't think they need them, either.

Ian

Send me your email address and I'll forward you a copy of the manual

Geoff

thanks Geoff...my email address is aaa_ian_@hotmail.com

and thanks to everyone for their advice

managed to get the engine started by pushing all the levers forward getting some momentum and then releasing them one by one .......thanks again everyone......time to change the alternator next..its a lucas...does anyone know anywhere near northolt that can recondition one

Ian

• 11 months later...

Hello all. I have setup a lister sr3 genset in a trailer and converted it to vegitable oil.. Works fantastic, but I am also in need of a manual on this engine. Oil pressure has dropped to around 10 lbs at 1800 rpm and I need to rebuild. Can you help? If you could email me a manual, it would be great. My address is tech@computermanalaska.com

Thanks.

William

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I'm after a workshop manual for my SR3, but the link only has an operators handbook. Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of a digital copy pretty please?

Mine has been stood since September, and as I've never started the b*gger myself I've not managed to get it running, and if I don't get it started by May I'm going to have to resort to begging for a tow from people heading to Skipton Boat festival as I desperately need to get to Snaygill.

=^_^=

Many thanks

Lucy

I'm after a workshop manual for my SR3, but the link only has an operators handbook. Does anyone know where I might be able to get hold of a digital copy pretty please?

Mine has been stood since September, and as I've never started the b*gger myself I've not managed to get it running, and if I don't get it started by May I'm going to have to resort to begging for a tow from people heading to Skipton Boat festival as I desperately need to get to Snaygill.

=happy.png=

Many thanks

Lucy

Try Internal Fire Museum - they have free download for parts list and manual covering Lister LRM and SRM, 1, 2, 3 cylinder. You need to register first though.

=happy.png=

Many thanks

Lucy

There is a shortened copy of the Instruction Manual (Book 1029) here: http://www.bluemoment.com/manuals/lister_man.pdf

There are a few errors in the manual but the basic info for maintenance etc is there.

The SR's usually start very easily at this time of year with a good starter battery, or by hand if your batteries are flat. Do you have a starting handle and has anyone attempted to start the engine since September? Begging for a tow seems a bit drastic when you might only need a bit of muscle power or a good battery.