Gongoozler Etiquette

JonL

Featured Posts

I would welcome some views on Gongoozler etiquette.

Unfortunately I am probably the stereotypical Gongoozler, apart from a couple of weekends away each year on the canals on hire boats the vast majority of my interest in all things boating in very passive, involving lots of hours of watching boats, walking along canal towpaths and looking longingly out to sea like Madam Butterfly awaiting Pinkerton’s return, oh and reading this forum on a daily basis.

Now my question is prompted by something that happened yesterday afternoon. I was walking the dog along River Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation in Essex and came across some guys making a right pigs ear of Paper Mill Lock. They had a very small craft and the guy operating lock firstly tried to flood the lock without closing the bottom paddles and then proceeded to open the top paddles very quickly and washed the boat backwards at an alarming rate of knots, much to the distress of the people in the boat.

I didn’t say anything to the guy about not closing the bottom paddles because at the end of the day he was only wasting a little water and there’s plenty around at the moment, however I did offer some “advice” that he might want to shut down the paddles down a bit to stop the boat getting buffered around. Well let’s say his response was less than pleasant.

In the past I’ve closed the odd lock gate for people when I’ve been close by to stop them having to cross over a lock and always received warm appreciation for the help.

So should the etiquette be simple physical involvement only and never offer advice or comment.

I’ve not seen Goongoozler’s discussed before on this forum and I would just like to point out I’m not the sort of guy who stands around locks for hours on end with a lock key in my back pocket awaiting for a boat to appear then spring out of bushes.

Your exprience is common. Your 'mistake' was to offer advice to an obviously experienced and expert boater, denting his pride, and possibly his standing with the others in his party. :lol:

This happens in all walks of live, and is a very common reaction if you try to help a (fellow) HGV driver in a tricky manouvering situation. More often than not I have tried to help a driver in a awkward spot, but very often the response is along the lines of "I have been doing this for years, I don't need your help..". Sometimes polite, sometimes not. My usual reply if the response is less than polite is "all those years, and you're still shit at it.", and walk away, to leave them to it.

Edit to add some inverted commas

Edited by luctor et emergo

There are a few things that you are not allowed to comment on

1. Their mother

2. Their child rearing practice

3. Their ability to drive (either boat or car)

I had a similar responce when I asked a fellow boater to lift his fenders when I was in the lock with him.

Tim

Unless an individuals actions are not directly affecting you then I say let them get on with it. :lol:

I wouldn't quite go with that;

Unless the actions are;

• directly affecting you
  • likely to cause injury to anybody
  • likely to cause damage to the lock

let them get on with it.

I wouldn't quite go with that;

Unless the actions are;

• directly affecting you
  • likely to cause injury to anybody
  • likely to cause damage to the lock

let them get on with it.

agreed

I would add though, that if he'd closed the bottom paddles the boat may not have been thrown backwards so badly, and I probably would have pointed out they were open. If he went off on one for having such an error pointed out then he really would be the sort who has genitalia growing out of their forehead

Unfortunately I am probably the stereotypical Gongoozler, apart from a couple of weekends away each year on the canals on hire boats the vast majority of my interest in all things boating in very passive, involving lots of hours of watching boats, walking along canal towpaths and looking longingly out to sea like Madam Butterfly awaiting Pinkerton’s return, oh and reading this forum on a daily basis.

Now my question is prompted by something that happened yesterday afternoon. I was walking the dog along River Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation in Essex and came across some guys making a right pigs ear of Paper Mill Lock. They had a very small craft and the guy operating lock firstly tried to flood the lock without closing the bottom paddles and then proceeded to open the top paddles very quickly and washed the boat backwards at an alarming rate of knots, much to the distress of the people in the boat.

I didn’t say anything to the guy about not closing the bottom paddles because at the end of the day he was only wasting a little water and there’s plenty around at the moment, however I did offer some “advice” that he might want to shut down the paddles down a bit to stop the boat getting buffered around. Well let’s say his response was less than pleasant.

In the past I’ve closed the odd lock gate for people when I’ve been close by to stop them having to cross over a lock and always received warm appreciation for the help.

So should the etiquette be simple physical involvement only and never offer advice or comment.

I’ve not seen Goongoozler’s discussed before on this forum and I would just like to point out I’m not the sort of guy who stands around locks for hours on end with a lock key in my back pocket awaiting for a boat to appear then spring out of bushes.

Basically you revealed that he was a rank amateur. If it had been me you'd told I would have been a tad embarrassed as well but I would have thanked you for letting me know I'd made a basic error.

<snip>

A couple of weekends a year? You're not a gongoozler, you're a boater!

Richard

I don't think you did anything wrong really. I would have pointed out that they had left paddles open too.

But there is simply NOTHING worse than being watched making a prat of one's self. To be honest I think it is quite rude. Sometimes it cannot be helped, if the wind catches you or there is a wier or stream pulling you and the boat does not quite do as you expect. The person handling the boat is aware of these things while an observer may not be. Being watched can make some folk panic and then the situation just gets worse often resulting in a temper flaring.

I had a situation when I was being 'helped', the wind was holding me firmly against the side of a pound, I just wanted to be left alone to deal with it in my own way and time , not be told what to do by someone else. I was quite happy boating on my own and didn't particularly want anyone else to interfere. Mind you I am always quick to ask if I need help at all.

However if there is a crowd watching, I just make a joke of it and play blonde! Like when himself got us stuck under a bridge on the Thames last year. The funny thing was, I fly the Guernsey flag, and a young chap called down to us - he was from Guernsey too so we had a nice chat.

Mind you, looking into through the windows. Now that really pi**es me off and I have a moveable net curtain to keep nosey folk out!

Edited by Water Rat.

My usual reply if the response is less than polite is "all those years, and you're still shit at it.", and walk away, to leave them to it.
Ive only done that once to another boater.

I was following him for about a day along a lightly locked lenght, each time unable to pass him, and forced to wait and watch, managed a fair few hoping that he would stop for lunch, water, anything. But after a while i had to day something, I dont even know what i said now, just a coment about something that could speed his progres up by a simple change or somthing, but it didnt go down well at all!

But, typically i dont say much. And if i do its because ive watch for a while, then i exhange a comment on the time of day, then offer my peice of advice.

As said however, the exception are if what there doing is dangours to others (inc myself and them) or may cause damage to the lock or signifacantly eefect my own boating. With leaving windlasses on paddle gear being a big thing i cant stand. Ive seen enough go far enough thats its just not worth it. That and generally ignorant actions the cause dangour. Getting the way of boats/closingbridges/etc

Daniel