Water tank size

Featured Posts

I've just installed a domestic water meter on Melaleuca. I'm not interested in the total amount of water we use, but by noting the reading when the tank is filled I can get an accurate measure of how much water we have left.

Anyway, the first full-to-empty run has been done, with the result that the tank holds about 1500litres, or 330 gallons. That didn't surprise me much, it tallies with the dimensions of the tank, which lives under the tug deck. I was a bit surprised when it occurred to me that that's a ton and half of water. The bow does sink a bit when it fills, and the stern rise, but really not that much. The boat is deep and heavy, so the proportional change in weight will be less than it might be with other boats.

I don't have much idea what the average water capacity of a narrow boat is. Is that large? It doesn't seem to last us a particularly long time, but the boat is infested with women, so that's not such a surprise.

MP.

I don't have much idea what the average water capacity of a narrow boat is. Is that large? It doesn't seem to last us a particularly long time, but the boat is infested with women, so that's not such a surprise.

I can lend you our son to substitute one of the women.

Without going into too much detail, I feel sure your water supply would last quite a bit longer! :lol:

I'd say that is a very big tank compared to many boats. Maybe twice what many with an integral tank have, and many of those with stainless or plastic tanks might well be smaller again.....

What do you call a long time?

When we were using water via a jug & had to spend half a day getting a refill 1000L lasted us 6 weeks.

When we could refill without moving it lasted us 4 weeks (still on the jug)

Now that its coming out of the taps it lasts about a week (but we are now also doing our laundry & showers here too)

Thats for 3 to 4 people.

I'd say that is a very big tank compared to many boats. Maybe twice what many with an integral tank have, and many of those with stainless or plastic tanks might well be smaller again.....

Our integral on the Harborough has about 1100L capacity based on dimensions, whereas the Rugby boat is quite a bit smaller...

And yup, the 1.1T on a light boat causes about 8" of difference full-to-empty at the pointy end. Easy gauge as to how empty it is though at least.

PC

Hi

Thats about the capacity of my tank.

My gauge is 4 full showers (maybe 5 days) after that it time to look for a fill up.

Alex

I guess that's about what we are able to do too. It will be easier to tell now that we have a meter and can use more of the capacity without risking running dry.

MP.

I should say so!

Anyway, as you're employed by a mere these days, Gibbo, can you not shower at work as a work-related perquisite?

Surely relying on a mere would be bathing not showering?

And as an employee I can't afford showers (or bathing) anymore.

Surely relying on a mere would be bathing not showering?

Um, well, yes, but depends how much water you can be allowed under the employee scheme

And as an employee I can't afford showers (or bathing) anymore.

With respect, Gibbo, you may find, as a mere employee, that the employer requires you to do so as part of your T&Cs of employment as they could construct that you are seeking to undermine the ethos of the core business by not doing so. Or something .....

However, the relative smelliness of Gibbo aside, given the vast quantity of water you are carrying around, Mpapa, is there a danger that BW may be looking to charge you for an end of mooring mooring?

However, the relative smelliness of Gibbo aside, given the vast quantity of water you are carrying around, Mpapa, is there a danger that BW may be looking to charge you for an end of mooring mooring?

As we live off the edge of the Known Universe in the flat bits of the east, BW doesn't normally get much of a say. That's not a bad idea though: we could probably get a couple of Springers in there, moored to floating pontoons.

MP.

Anyway, the first full-to-empty run has been done, with the result that the tank holds about 1500litres, or 330 gallons. That didn't surprise me much, it tallies with the dimensions of the tank, which lives under the tug deck. I was a bit surprised when it occurred to me that that's a ton and half of water. The bow does sink a bit when it fills, and the stern rise, but really not that much. The boat is deep and heavy, so the proportional change in weight will be less than it might be with other boats.

I think most off the shelf narrow boats are about half that size, somewhere around 150 gallons!

If anyone is interested in fitting a water meter, the one I used came from bes.co.uk, part no 11356. They are currently selling them for £16.77 but I think I paid a bit less. A significant saving on a remote-reading tank level gauge.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

If anyone is interested in fitting a water meter, the one I used came from bes.co.uk, part no 11356. They are currently selling them for £16.77 but I think I paid a bit less. A significant saving on a remote-reading tank level gauge.

MP.

Though, as ever, with BES, once you have paid the VAT and carriage, it's going to come in over £25, (if it's the only item you are ordering).

Where did you put it, please ?

Before pump or after pump, (or does it matter).

Seems a good idea!

Does it just keep clocking up, or can you reset it when you fill the tank, please ?

Though, as ever, with BES, once you have paid the VAT and carriage, it's going to come in over £25, (if it's the only item you are ordering).

True, if you don't need other pumbing kit it might be worth looking for a local source. Because water meters are now being fitted all over the place, costs generally seem to be quite low.

Where did you put it, please ?

Before pump or after pump, (or does it matter).

I put it after the water pump and accumulator. The mechanism is basically a paddle-wheel and it occurred to me that it might be more accurate with a steady water flow rather then the pulsed one at the input to the pump, but I've no proof that that is true. The main reason for putting it there was because it allows the meter to be located in the engine room where it's easy to read, rather then buried underneath the tug deck with the pump.

Seems a good idea!

Does it just keep clocking up, or can you reset it when you fill the tank, please ?

No reset (it's basically a domestic meter). I'm thinking if putting in a little blackboard where I can note the reading at last fill-up.

MP.

Thanks MP,

This looks a useful project, and rather more hygienic than trying to dip the tank to establish how full, (I really must get separate sticks for the diesel, and fresh water!....)

I may try this some time, if I can work out where I could locate the meter, and still read it.

Another "crawling around" job though, so until I'm fixed, it will have to wait.

• Greenie 1