Keith Woods Narrowboats

Featured Posts

Does anybody know whose shells this guy used or did he build his own? He stopped trading last year so I can't ask him who built our shell and there does not seem to be any identification that I can find. There is nothing wrong with this build, I'm just curious!

There's one of his last ones moored just down the river from us. From its lines, I would say that he built his own, as I have never seen others similar. The bows are like a miniature version of the last BW working boats, vertical.

Does anybody know whose shells this guy used or did he build his own? He stopped trading last year so I can't ask him who built our shell and there does not seem to be any identification that I can find. There is nothing wrong with this build, I'm just curious!

I can't be a hundred percent sure whose shells he used during his own production but his history was as a fitter outer with Pat Buckle who built (perhaps still builds) narrow boats at Stibbington on the Nene. Pat used to get his shells from a father and son team (Peter Bellaire, I think was the name of the father) but they went bust a couple of times and Pat had other one man band suppliers around who I never knew. Our first nb was a Buckle build and Keith did some of the fit out on it. I would be looking for shell builders not too far from Peterborough/Stibbington if I were you.

Roger

Keith Woods used to buy his shells but built his own shells from at least when he took over Peter and Kevin Bellaire's workshop at Darke Tech's premises in '03 IIRC

Keith built my sailaway shell about four years ago from the yard on the A1 at Stilton. I am very pleased with the design and standard of build.

I saw him and his wife Kath on his wide beam at his moorings on the Nene a few years back and he was enjoying his retirement.

• 3 years later...

Keith built my sailaway shell about four years ago from the yard on the A1 at Stilton. I am very pleased with the design and standard of build.

I saw him and his wife Kath on his wide beam at his moorings on the Nene a few years back and he was enjoying his retirement.

HI Im looking at a Keith woods shell is it a make you would recommend

We have a Keith Woods shell. Solidly built, nice design. The fitout was Nene Narrowboats which wasn't quite as robust but the KW shell I am really pleased with - the surveyor was too.

My shell was built by Ward Marine in the early nineties. I was told that Keith Ward also worked with Pat Buckle but can't confirm this.My boat is similar to a lot of Pat Buckle boats I have seen, very solidly built but doubt it would win any beauty contests.

My shell was built by Ward Marine in the early nineties. I was told that Keith Ward also worked with Pat Buckle but can't confirm this.My boat is similar to a lot of Pat Buckle boats I have seen, very solidly built but doubt it would win any beauty contests.

Keith Ward fitted boats out for Pat Buckle before starting out on his own

• 8 months later...

Keith wood made his own shells in a workshop in Holme village nr Yaxley Peterborough also fitting them out,

I work for him for two years having had our 45' narrowboats built and shown at the Crick boat show, Sadly he died 5th February 2012

A great guy who love working with wood

His last-ever boat 'Spud' is moored a mile or so down from us, at Outwell. She has an unusual shape - very short snub bow - which must be a space-saver in a short(ish) boat.

Chatted to the owners of that, The said the bought it at a very good price, They also said that the bow had been worked on to improve it. She wasn't in love with the shape but for the price she paid she cold live with it.