2 weeks in May

Graham Davis

Featured Posts

Found out this week that our timeshare boat is moving from Nantwich to Gayton this year, so I have now got to replan our jaunt for the year.

We prefer a ring journey but looking at the map there doesn't appear to be much suitable. We are both quite experienced, with 30 years behind us, and don't mind locking, preferably on narrow canals, but SWMBO doesn't do early, so probably would be on the go for about 6 hours a day. We do like good pubs and reasonably good food most nights and since we are on holiday don't often cook on board.

I know we can't use tidal waters, so that takes the Trent out of the picture. So has anyone got any suggestions?

Found out this week that our timeshare boat is moving from Nantwich to Gayton this year, so I have now got to replan our jaunt for the year.

We prefer a ring journey but looking at the map there doesn't appear to be much suitable. We are both quite experienced, with 30 years behind us, and don't mind locking, preferably on narrow canals, but SWMBO doesn't do early, so probably would be on the go for about 6 hours a day. We do like good pubs and reasonably good food most nights and since we are on holiday don't often cook on board.

I know we can't use tidal waters, so that takes the Trent out of the picture. So has anyone got any suggestions?

Two weeks is ample for the Thames loop (Gayton-Braunston-Oxford-Brentford-Gayton or vice-versa). The short section from Teddington to Brentford is tidal but for most purposes has a sort of honorary non-tidal status.

Two weeks is ample for the Thames loop (Gayton-Braunston-Oxford-Brentford-Gayton or vice-versa). The short section from Teddington to Brentford is tidal but for most purposes has a sort of honorary non-tidal status.

or Leicester T&M Birmingham Warwick Braunston

or Leicester T&M Birmingham Warwick Braunston

The more relaxed version would be return via the Coventry and North Oxford

I think the Thames ring is pushing it at six hours a day for two weeks

I know it's out and back, but the Nene might be worth a try, not that I've done it though

Why can't you use tidal waters? Most insurers include tidal waters (for access). It seems a pity that you are missing out some of the best bits of the system (York, Chesterfield, Witham, etc.). I would have suggested going down the Nene and up the Ouse and Cam, but with that prohibition, you can't.

Our insurers don't seem to allow any tidal use, so that is why the Trent is out.

Looks like it is going to be a gentle ramble down to Oxford and back, but if we do things quicker than we thought then might have a little tottle up the Thames for a day or two.

Any recommendations of good real ale pubs, reasonable canal side fooderies and even some folk clubs would be nice. Pretty please??

Our insurers don't seem to allow any tidal use, so that is why the Trent is out.

Cant you ring them an ask?

Failing that the Trent down to Cromwell is very pretty in places (and non tidal) with some nice pubs along the way :lol:

Phylis,

the boat is one of 2 owned by the Holiday Owners Club, and we only own a share in them. I have spoken to the "boss" and I get the impression that they hadn't thought it would ever be needed, so haven't included it. They are probably right, most users aren't as adventurous as my wife and I.

Phylis,

the boat is one of 2 owned by the Holiday Owners Club, and we only own a share in them. I have spoken to the "boss" and I get the impression that they hadn't thought it would ever be needed, so haven't included it. They are probably right, most users aren't as adventurous as my wife and I.

Seems a shame really.

Anyhow still you can do the non-tidal bits of the Trent. Would be a shame to miss them out completely.

"I think the Thames ring is pushing it at six hours a day for two weeks"

I gave myself two weeks to do the Thames Ring last year. I was home two days early. Two weeks is plenty enough!

Would you be willing to give me some rough ideas of where you stopped, and how long you were on the go each day?

"I think the Thames ring is pushing it at six hours a day for two weeks"

I gave myself two weeks to do the Thames Ring last year. I was home two days early. Two weeks is plenty enough!

I normally respect your opinion but...

Total distance is 247 miles, ¾ flg and 175 locks. There are at least 28 moveable bridges of which 19 are usually left open; 5 small aqueducts or underbridges and 2 tunnels.

Made up of 49 miles, 3½ furlongs of narrow canals; 98 miles, 5¼ furlongs of broad canals; 0 miles, ¾ furlongs of small rivers; 93 miles, 6½ furlongs of large rivers; 5 miles, ¾ furlongs of tidal rivers; 39 narrow locks; 102 broad locks; 33 large locks.

This will take 117 hours, 31 minutes which is 13 days, 31 minutes at 9 hours per day.

from Canalplan AC AND there is fuve miles of tidal water

I normally respect your opinion but...

Total distance is 247 miles, ¾ flg and 175 locks. There are at least 28 moveable bridges of which 19 are usually left open; 5 small aqueducts or underbridges and 2 tunnels.

Made up of 49 miles, 3½ furlongs of narrow canals; 98 miles, 5¼ furlongs of broad canals; 0 miles, ¾ furlongs of small rivers; 93 miles, 6½ furlongs of large rivers; 5 miles, ¾ furlongs of tidal rivers; 39 narrow locks; 102 broad locks; 33 large locks.

This will take 117 hours, 31 minutes which is 13 days, 31 minutes at 9 hours per day.

from Canalplan AC AND there is fuve miles of tidal water

I've completed the Thames ring several times, and always in well under 2 weeks. Our local hire company frequently hires its boats out for people to complete the journey in a fortnight with no problems.

Canalplan seems to be misbehaving at the moment for me, but I wonder what speed was assumed for the river section in your calculations? Travelling downstream it would be easy to have an average speed of 5 or 6mph between the locks.

I've completed the Thames ring several times, and always in well under 2 weeks. Our local hire company frequently hires its boats out for people to complete the journey in a fortnight with no problems.

Canalplan seems to be misbehaving at the moment for me, but I wonder what speed was assumed for the river section in your calculations? Travelling downstream it would be easy to have an average speed of 5 or 6mph between the locks.

I usually find Canalplan overestimates the times for our trips. For instance our 24 hours on the BCN Canalplan estimated at over 30.

Richard

okay, sorry to start a scrap BUT I like long days cruising and my wife doesn't. SIX HOURS a day, not seven and a half, not eight, lets say, pull the pins at ten, stop one til two, moor for the night at five

If you could AVERAGE four miles an hour and six locks and hour you'd just do it at six and a half hours a day for fourteen days, but two weeks isn't fourteen days unless it's your own boat, it's thirteen and a half, and those figures assume a lock in ten minutes. A Thames Lock in May, one every ten minutes? I suspect not. And down the Oxford at an average of 4 mph, nooooo.

Time your days, from the moment you pull the pins out or loose from the rings, until you tie up. Not we were underway by 9 (meaning not much after 8:30) and moored by 6 (meaning, well, we were in sight of the mooring by 6, took us another fifteen minutes to tie up). The OP has said six hours a day and no tidal water, the Thames ring falls down on both

"Would you be willing to give me some rough ideas of where you stopped, and how long you were on the go each day?"

No idea how long I was on the go each day, I never time it. I always start at 8am and travel till teatime. I don't usually stop for lunch, I just make lunch while I am in locks and eat it on long pounds. The first nine days were single handed, which is usually quicker for me, 'help' usually slows me down.

As already wisely pointed out, 'two weeks' for me as a boat owner means first thing Saturday morning to anytime on Sunday evening. This of course gives me 16 full days.

I am giving this illustration to counter the often forcibly presented opinion that canal boating is strictly a slow sedate process. It can be, and those who enjoy that are welcome to it. But if you are energetic, it can be far from sedate. This schedule is challenging, but I enjoy the actual boating and I am much less interested in the surrounds.

This was mid-August, peak school holiday time.

Day 1: Teddington --> Brentford

Day 2: -->Harefield (Coppermill)

Day 3: --> Hemel Hempstead (Fishery Inn)

Day 4 --> Marsworth Junction

Day 5; --> Fenny Stratford (stopped for lunch, extra hour)

Day 6: --> 'Middle of no where' (with an exploratory diversion up the Leicester arm - extra two hours)

Day 7: --> Napton (with an exploratory diversion up the GU Mainline - extra hour)

Day 8: --> Banbury

Day 9: --> Thrupp (Late start, went shopping)

Day 10: --> Oxford ( a very slow lazy day; crew came on board and slowed me down)

Day 11: --> Abingdon

Day 12: --> Reading (including a diversion up the K&A)

Day 13: --> Windsor

Day 14: --> Teddington (short day)

Edited by WJM

Thanks for that, WJM, but I don't think we will be doing it. As I said at the start SWMBO doesn't do early, and we normally manage about 6 to 7 hours a day, depending on weather, scenery, things to see, etc.

Still leaning towards the Oxford and back, with a jaunt on the Thames if time allows.

Thanks for that, WJM, but I don't think we will be doing it. As I said at the start SWMBO doesn't do early, and we normally manage about 6 to 7 hours a day, depending on weather, scenery, things to see, etc.

Still leaning towards the Oxford and back, with a jaunt on the Thames if time allows.

Oxford will hardly take you any time - I'd say it's a week trip. The Warwickshire Ring is lovely and you get to do Hatton. You can stop at Warwick Castle for a day which is really good and the Cape of Good Hope is a rather fine hostelry. If you're going to Oxford, there's a lovely pub at Upper Heyford which we went to when there was a power cut in the village and ended up sharing a table with a lovely local couple as it was so busy. Brilliant pub with a great desert menu! Thrupp has a couple of pubs, not fantastic for food the last time we went but it's a nice place. There's also a floating farmshop near the Hayfords if memory serves. Banbury has a range of good pubs, we found a nice one called the Woolpack but just walk in any direction from the canal really. Oxford would be a lot nicer if it weren't for the agenda 21 moorings which are like a squallid council estate (and one of the main reasons we haven't been as far as Oxford in a long time) but once you're past those it's really nice. You could think about going up the Thames to Lechlade to extend the trip slightly, it's a nice run and lots of places to stop.

Oh and Napton. Go to The Folly Pie Pub and have a pie

Thanks Cloud19.

Sheila doesn't want to do much of the Grand Union, as she doesn't like big locks, so it looks if we are going to do Oxford and up to Lechlade. Canalplan gives that as roughly 11 days, so plenty of time to stop and look at things. I certainly want to go to William Morris's house.

Thanks for the tips on the pubs; we do like to eat and drink!!

What is the licence fee for the Upper Thames?

Edited by Graham Davis

The locks aren't so bad when you go north but I can understand why she doesn't want to. The other thing you should do is have a quick trip down to Stoke Bruerne. It's only an hour from Gayton through the Blisworth tunnel. The Boat Inn is well worth a trip for drinking and chat although if I were you I'd eat either in the indian or at the Navigation

Well I've had a couple of pubs suggested in a PM, but I would still like some more info, please.

And reading Bones' column this month, would someone care to enlighten me about Shipton Weir Lock?

don't know what bones comment was but it's a funny shape.... (the lock, not Bones)

Although one of the downsides I find from having an encyclopaedic knowledge of the canals is I don't get surprises any more, which is why we'll be off to the norfolk broads and the Irish and French canals as soon as we can get hold of a trailable boat and suitable vehicle to pull it with