What do you remember?

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

Wow :lol:

I think I know what you mean!

Seems that for the first 24 episodes he was just 'The Ranger', then he got given the name Smith, and the fans retro called him Smith thereafter. I couldn't remember that one.

And pre-Supercar - 'Four Feather Falls'? I can still remember the signature tune (This is getting a bit sad) - and the quip advertising Farrow's tinned Peas:

(Crow skwarks) "Waark - Where's my dinner"

"Sorry mate - you're too late, the best peas went to Farrow's!"

How about the Johnson's furniture polish tune?

I did warn you . . .

Edited by Derek R.

Swot.. :lol:

I remembered it too. But not was not quite sure as Smith is so common. What about 'the Range Rider. His sidekick was Dick West - the all American boy (?). The punch ups were good in that - one per story Then there was the Cisco Kid who was with Puncho and their talk sounded camp, thinking back, though at the time (to a kid) they just talked funny. As for Hopalong Cassidy my mum told me they kept a wheelchair for him as he was so old when doing his programs.

We used to go after school to an old herbalists shop and sit up on high stools drinking sarsparella (sp?)

Four Feather Falls

The 5 boys chocolate which was mentioned previously, my sister used to call it Jo's boys because it was my favorite chocolate (my name is Jo)

Being genuinely excited to get chocolate or sweets because it was a treat

Torchy the battery boy

Going out playing for the day down the woods and no-one worrying if you did not come back till teatime

Almost all the adults I knew were smokers

Men in turbans going door to door selling things from a big bag

The first supermarket opening in our town and us being amazed at all the things under one roof

Knowing everyone on the street, they had lived in the same houses for years and years

I am not exactly ancient but things are so different now - my daughter used to love asking me what we did not have when we were children that we have now... Once when I was picking a visitor up from the train station for my parents (they were in their late 60's) my daugther asked me 'is he the man who shot the video at grandma's wedding?' !!

Beano and Dandy. Corona with lever type stoppers. Taking a coupon book to get meat. 1/3 pint milk bottles at school. Rag and Bone man. Steam trains - especially the ones we got to go from Oxford to Dunster for our holidays. Car-spotting and train-spotting.

Jubilee?? Jubbly - "L-u-vly, J-u-bbly - Luvly Jubbly Orange juice" So went the jingle, and frozen ones were the best! Three cornered cartons, held about half or third of a pint.

Don't remember Cherry ones?

D.

4 corners. 4 faces. Like a pyramid but all faces were triangles.

Lets not forget Wally Whyton and Willum the Pussy Cat And Muriel ?????

Pinky and Perky first arrived on TV in 1957

Topo Gigio

The revolving stage at the Palladium

Little Monica on Opportunity Knocks

The Light Programme Uncle Mac

The Heinkle and The Messerschmitt Three-wheel 'bubble' cars.

Edited by Maffi

Green shield stamps

Coin meters for the electric

Ena Sharples

A time when if you told anyone you had just BOUGHT a bottle of water you would have been sectioned

The national anthem at the end of the evenings tv

liberty bodices

Boys wearing shorts no matter how cold it was

Sunday best clothes

The local chemical works hooter going at 5 and hundreds of men walking out of the gates to go home.. all silent now

Edited by Water Woman

This thread has made me think of all sorts of things that I thought I had forgotten about my childhood in Barnton, near Northwich. I have really enjoyed other peoples memories too. Some of the stuff I can remember make me feel a bit ancient, and I really don't feel it. Best not to look in the mirror!!!

This thread has made me think of all sorts of things that I thought I had forgotten about my childhood in Barnton, near Northwich. I have really enjoyed other peoples memories too. Some of the stuff I can remember make me feel a bit ancient, and I really don't feel it. Best not to look in the mirror!!!

Lor! Yes.

The first episode of Coronation Street, Ena, Minnie Caldwell, and Martha Longhurst. Jack and Doris(?) at the Rover's, Elsie Tanner, Mr Swindley, Albert Tatlock, and Ken. (B&W).

An organist at the Wurlitzer disappearing below the floor before the films.

Half day closing.

EVERYTHING shut on a Sunday (Save where I worked at the Zoo).

Proper hats on Postmen and Bus crew.

Royal Mail that didn't lose 5% of our items :lol:

Twizzle - yes, but not whose toy he was. :lol:

Life without a TV or a phone - comics, toys, a bike, and the park.

Park Drive, State Express 555, my mates Dad's Passing Clouds, Sweet Afton, Black Sobranie, Tobacconists - with bowls of Nutty Flake and Old Shag in the window display.

Getting beaten up in the street for being on anothers patch - no knives, and definitely no guns!

Ben Truman, Bass, Mackeson, Black & Tan, Bitter topped. Lager - what's that - Gerry pistol?

Francis Barnett :lol: New Imperial, OK Supreme. Dommie's, Bonnie's and Matchbox's - The Ace Cafe. Some legends have grown.

But that was after the Janet & John books!

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

Me too. No one I ever met has heard of Twizzle. Question who's toy was he?

Twizzle was the one who could expand his arms and legs and is maybe out of the same stable as torchy, the battery boy. With five boys chocolate I used to eat all round the boys then bit their heads off. O the fun! I just looked up the fruit gums advert and that was Dennis Waterman asking mum not to forget the fruit gums.

4 corners. 4 faces. Like a pyramid but all faces were triangles.

Lets not forget Wally Whyton and Willum the Pussy Cat And Muriel ?????

Pinky and Perky first arrived on TV in 1957

Topo Gigio

The revolving stage at the Palladium

Little Monica on Opportunity Knocks

The Light Programme Uncle Mac

The Heinkle and The Messerschmitt Three-wheel 'bubble' cars.

Muriel Young and don't forget Burt Weedon (whose 'how to play the guitar launched a thousand pop groups). The program itself included an early TV appearence with their new singl (Love me do.) of the Beatles . Ringo had a snare drum and a symbol to mime with. I thought they were awful - not a patch on 'The Shadows' - especially the one playing the mouth organ and leering at the camera when not looking bored.

At one time there was an hour long cowboy adventure ever night. Ones like Tenderfoot, Cheyanne, Mavervik, The Outlaws, Bronco.

As for Soap Corrie was on and another night there was Emergency Ward Ten. Back then Arther Lowe was in Corrie as Mr Swindley with the gel who fancied him - Miss Nugent. Of course Ken Barlow was there - Mr boring of 3 marriages and countless love affairs since.

God, I watched a lot of TV then. But then there were only two channels so that is what I watched. As for how much - 4 hours then and 4 now - so there.

Edited by Tiny

I filled my new house oil tank with 600 gallons for £19. in 1964.Last delivery1000 litres for£492.45.

First car Austin Seven nippy in 1950 from Birmingham'bomb site' car dealer in Bristol Road £17 and I expect he thought he had rolled me over.

My new wife and I built our first bungalow in 1954 for £1800, land £200, sold for £14,000 in 1964.

Bought Vesta in 1961 from Stewarts and Lloyds, Halesowen for £200 with 70 gallons in large tank and two spare reconditioned National engines in the front hold.Should have purchased the fleet.

Bought two Andrew Barclay 13 ton 2 foot gauge locos from Stewarts and Lloyds Bilston in the 1950's for 2, yes 2 , pounds each and gave them away to fellow enthusiasts Now Gertrude and Doll are worth about £ 150,000 each.No regrets, they are giving enormous pleasure to youngsters who have never seen a panting monster, and a happy old man.I stopped at 13 locos when canals came along for my young family.

Edited by Max Sinclair

No one has mentioned 'Mrs. Dale's Diary'!

"I'm worried about Jim . . ." What was the Mother-in-law's cats name - Bosun or Captain?

I remember when Megs Jenkins took over the part - Mr's dale that is, not the cat (the bar maid in 'Painted Boats').

And in the Archer's - Mrs. 'P's pony that pulled her trap - 'Beauty' or 'Cherry'?

Dan & Doris (that's where I got 'Doris' from, and not 'Annie' Walker), and Walter Gabriel.

I listened avidly - primarily as a delaying tactic to put off having to start 'homework'! Then to bed in tears as I still could not work out quadratic equations, and my parents had never heard of them. Their world was one of hand tools and steering wheel; the floor mop and the gas stove.

Derek