What do you remember?

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

My dad taking me onto HMS Eagle on a family day, as far as I was concerned it was his ship .... riding up onto the flight deck on the aircraft lift ... everything was huuuuuge !

Visiting the tutankhamun exhibition in London (the first one in the UK, 1972?) ... the solid gold death mask in a darkened room ... it was breathtaking.

Hurtling down a hill on my first two-wheeled bike and deciding for some reason to see what would happen if I let go of the handlebars (answer: a bloody nose, split lip and skinned knees and palms).

Climbing trees ... a lot.

The smell of my granfathers shed ... oiled tools and creosote and stored winter fruit and veg.

Fishing on a very picturesque disused canal with a spindly rod catching spindly fish ... seeing loads of water voles and thinking nothing special of them.

The death of my first pet (a cat).

Seaside and rockpools on an endless sunny day in summer on the south coast.

I remember when Mars bars were 65 grams then they went down to 62.5 grams then there was a fanfare and advertising saying they were 'bigger' when they went back up to 65g and I just bought one a few moments ago for the first time in about 15 years and they are a disappointing 58 grams. and 45p!!!

:lol:

its an outrage

Or as ad men would say

"New improved size"

News vendor outside Wood Green tube selling the Evening Standard and The Star with a "StaaaarEeestaandeeeeerd!"

On my first visit to Glasgow as a yoof, hearing blokes on the street corners shoutong "Pints! Fine ale!" and the disappointment of discovering they were selling the "Times, final" edition.

Mum's Shepherd's Pies - and Condensed Milk on Strawberries!

... and the strawberries were juicy, not crunchy, and tasted of, well, strawberries!

Spangles .......... Old English flavour were my favourite

Getting my long hair caught on the rear window catches in the back of Dad's 105E Anglia...........

The first time I ever saw a person with dark skin (probably aged around 4) I expect I embarrassed mum by gawping at her while we were waiting in the queue to pay for the grocery shop at "The Home & Colonial"

Being milk monitor - meant being entrusted with a pair of scissors to stab the foil tops on the milk bottles before adding a straw.

Books about Marmaduke (a cat)

Peg dolls

Mums hand made zip fronted crimplene tunic dresses.

My very first pair of hot pants - they were rasperry pink! I wore them with a white wide vinyl. decorated with gold hearts all the way round with an enormous gold heart shaped buckle in true Donny Osmond style

Old English Spangles! I'd forgotten those.

The Five Boys on the Fry's chocolate Creams.

Chocolate vending machines on platforms that robbed you rotten - or gave all with a thump.

You stabbed the flying saucers??????? We peeled them off and between first and second fingers gave them a flick and sent them flying - probably why you were instructed to stab them!!!

Hot Pants! I have a dream . . . .

Were the five boys on the Fry's chocolate cream wrapper? There was a Fry's Five Boys chocolate bar which showed the same boy in five different moods as his tantrum blackmailed his parents into giving him chocolate to shut him up. Each was labelled with an abstract noun: something like "Desperation, Pacification, Expectation, Realisation "It's Fry's", Mast......I may have remembered it inaccurately.

I suppose that there is an example of this wrapper on t'internet somewhere.

There was also a Fry's Five Centres bar which had the shape of Fry's Peppermint Crean, long and convex-topped, but had a different flavour - mint, orange, cofee, lime and strawberry from memory - in each of its five segments.

My favourite chocolate treat as a young boy was Peter's Milk Chocolate in a brown wrapper. I suppose that has long since vanished.

Edited by Athy

Were the five boys on the Fry's chocolate cream wrapper? There was a Fry's Five Boys chocolate bar which showed the same boy in five different moods as his tantrum blackmailed his parents into giving him chocolate to shut him up. Each was labelled with an abstract noun: something like "Desperation, Pacification, Expectation, Realisation "It's Fry's", Mast......I may have remembered it inaccurately.

I suppose that there is an example of this wrapper on t'internet somewhere.

It's " Desperation, Pacification, Expectation, Acclamation, Realization It's Frys"

Thanks Laurie, I found it on the web too! I also found that Peter's Chocolate does indeed still exist, though I think they are wholesalers to the confectionery and catering industries these days and you can't buy their chocolate bars in shops. Apparently the inventor, a Swiss called Mr. Peter. was helped in his r&d work by his neighbour - a Mr. Nestle!

Putting Iodine on bruises and Kaline&Morphine for a gypy tummy, oh and purple calpol!

I think that I still have a bottle of Kaolin & Morphine in a cupboard somewhere, wonderful stuff but immodium much easier to take. Is K & M is still on sale?

Tim

Hitchiking - killed off by cheap coach fares :-(

Tim

I think that I still have a bottle of Kaolin & Morphine in a cupboard somewhere, wonderful stuff but immodium much easier to take. Is K & M is still on sale?

Tim

Hi,

K&M is still for sale but usually kept behind the counter at the chemist - he will sell it to you, but for some customers he always gives the bottle a good shake before handing it over.

Leo

Fry's Chocolate Cream was the cause of my ongoing dislike of any cream centre chocolates.

Being a kid that was known to get very travel sick Mum would place a travel sickness pill in a square of Fry's Chocolate Cream for me to take. I would eat it knowing that at any moment my teeth would crunch into the tablet concealed in the otherwise sweet tasting cream.

It still has an affect on me - driving home after Christmas family visiting this year i dug my hand into a bag of Thorntons chocolates that had been given to me (share out the top layer said Derek - I will never get through them all otherwise)

I popped a chocolate into my mouth to take the tedium out of the A14 and almost gagged when I found a strawberry cream in my mouth - no matter how much I told myself it was delicious Thorntons chocolate with really rather good tasting strawberry filling I just could not stand the texture of it in my mouth and my poor little brain kept telling me I would be crunching into a tablet at any moment.

I blame my parents!

Just took my 40 yo daughter for her first visit to Grimsby, this week, to show her where I grew up. I remember the largest fishing fleet around and working as a kid on the fish docks. Very sad derelict place now. Forgotten how cold it is though, soon reminded.

Anyone remember Dodd Osborne??

We ate in the house, and used the outside toilet, thus keeping odours and germs away from the house. Today we use the toilet inside the house, and eat in the garden. There is progress for you. Weird :lol:

Torchy the battery boy.

Wagon train.

Bonanza.

First Coronation Street.

Gas lights at railway station, and three wheeled Scammel trucks.

Steam trains.

Cherry Jubilee drink in cartons.

Thieving empty pop bottles from the back of the local shop at night, then taking them back the following morning to get the threepence deposit on each one.

The bicycle grand prix from the local factory when the hooter went at 5-30.

Bond minicars.

Mopeds.

Motorcycle combinations.

White light from streetlamps.

Drinks frozen inside bedroom.

Chimney sweep.

Washing day.

Morris post office vans with rubber wings.

The Billy Cotton Band Show.

Finishing off parents Woodbines in shed.

The cane at school (never did me any harm.....)

Were the five boys on the Fry's chocolate cream wrapper? There was a Fry's Five Boys chocolate bar which showed the same boy in five different moods . . .

(snip)

You may well be correct - perhaps it was the chocolate bar.

X-Ray machines in Dunn's outfitters that showed your feet and the nails in your shoes . . .