barge fit out

Featured Posts

We are in the process of fitting out a wide beam canal boat and would like to hear from anyone who has fitted and is using a composting toilet!

We've bought a Separett, but I only started installing it last weekend so can't comment from direct experience.

We chose the Separett because:

- We wanted a composting loo, having tried both pumpout and cassette.

- We know of two succeful installations, one on a barge, one on land.

- Separating liquids from solids at source so to speak addresses the 'overwet compost' issue.

- Its not huge like some of its competitors, much the same size as a cassette loo.

Price was encouraging too. We bought from Kernowrat via ebay and scored particularly as we just happened to get a PayPal 10% discount voucher.

If you care to wait a few months we can provide a detailed report with pictures.....

We are in the process of fitting out a wide beam canal boat and would like to hear from anyone who has fitted and is using a composting toilet!

I did a 'report' on the Separett toilet which was installed in conjunction with an Ecosave filtration and disposal system. That was in October 1987 and you can (hopefully) see it at:

http://n4.nabble.com/Report-on-Separett-to...70.html#a238370

(This is on the DBA website - if you can't see it without registering let me have your email and I'll try and send it)

Perhaps you could email Andrew Sadler for more information via: http://nl.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-sadler/9/81/332

Bear in mind that things may have altered.

In summary, at that time I didn't find anything that truly ticked all the boxes due to either cost, space, power consumption or efficiency. However, other people have them and seem happy.

83Ah/day - that's a huge drain for an 'eco' system.

Spec for the Villa 9010 here Separett gives operating current as 12v / 210mA, which I make just over 5AH per day. Not a lot considered against a typical boat's daily power usage.

Although there does seem to be a discrepancy between the Specification table (2.5W) and the descriptive text (22.5W).....

Edited to add:

83AH / day implies a 40 watt fan. I wouldn't want to sit above that for long! :-)

Edited by barge sara

83Ah/day - that's a huge drain for an 'eco' system.

To check these figures you're best to contact Andrew Sadler.

The 'Eco' system is a seriously large piece of kit. It handles all fluid waste and, when 'cleansed' pumps it over the side. The actual cleansing process (through filtration then aeration) takes 6 or 7 hours (from memory).

The toilet and Ecosave unit are two distinctly separate pieces of kit. In Groningen, where we saw the set-up working, many live-aboard boats are hard-wired into the city's sewage system and this set-up was possibly intended to replace that.

Edited by Boaty Jo

You'll perhaps note that the regulations concerning waste water have now come into effect. The problem is the infrastructure to dispose of 'holding-tank' waste. There simply aren't enough disposal points.

That was Holland and the same is true now in France.

Despite this there is / will be a place for a good composting system. When we last looked however, no total solution was good enough. We have a sea-toilet and if necessary will fit a cassette-type until we find an adequate composter. I say again though that people do have them and seem happy so make your own mind up.

i looked at all the options when i fitted out our wide beam, my solution was; i fitted a pump to my waste out pipe, i bought an aqua roll from the caravan shop (40 litres) i then pump waste into the aqua roll, and tip at elsan point. cheapest and easiest of all solutions . . . . i think anyway

i looked at all the options when i fitted out our wide beam, my solution was; i fitted a pump to my waste out pipe, i bought an aqua roll from the caravan shop (40 litres) i then pump waste into the aqua roll, and tip at elsan point. cheapest and easiest of all solutions . . . . i think anyway

Probably fair to say if you do mean 40 litres that many people would not relish trying to lift approximately 40 kilograms (plus container) of toilet contents into many of the available facilities, (have you seen some of the newer ones where the receptacle is more than "work top height", and where there is nothing to balance the container on when tipping).

I'm no weakling, but the average cassette is not even half that weight, and many people struggle with them.

The bog roll.

Probably fair to say if you do mean 40 litres that many people would not relish trying to lift approximately 40 kilograms (plus container) of toilet contents into many of the available facilities, (have you seen some of the newer ones where the receptacle is more than "work top height", and where there is nothing to balance the container on when tipping).

I'm no weakling, but the average cassette is not even half that weight, and many people struggle with them.

It could be part filled depending on your gorilla/wimp factor + by the time you're at disposal point it will be macerated!

Edited to add: you can fill it with drinking water for return journey :lol:

Edited by nb Innisfree

It could be part filled depending on your gorilla/wimp factor + by the time you're at disposal point it will be macerated!

True,

But I suspect the main reason most Thetford cassettes hold only 17 or 19 litres full is not just about size, but also about what it's easily possible to empty.

A 40 litre container is only going to hold two cassettes worth.

Far easier in my view to simply empty two cassettes than to get involved in "decanting" poo!

Still, whatever one prefers, I guess !

We've bought a Separett, but I only started installing it last weekend so can't comment from direct experience.

We chose the Separett because:

- We wanted a composting loo, having tried both pumpout and cassette.

- We know of two succeful installations, one on a barge, one on land.

- Separating liquids from solids at source so to speak addresses the 'overwet compost' issue.

- Its not huge like some of its competitors, much the same size as a cassette loo.

Price was encouraging too. We bought from Kernowrat via ebay and scored particularly as we just happened to get a PayPal 10% discount voucher.

If you care to wait a few months we can provide a detailed report with pictures.....

Thanks for everybody's comments on composting toilets. I will be interested in hearing from Barge Sara on their Separett installation as soon as convenient!!

• 1 month later...