Continuous Cruisers Housing Act 2004

KenK

Featured Posts

So, nobody is keeping chickens on the towpath then?

Seen it, but it's not an issue any more than a dog on the towpath since the wired run can be lifted on and off the boat. It's not as if a coop has been built on the towpath.

Carl's voice of experience seems to hold this to be a falsehood.

And my experience as a councillor upholds it. There is always the option of living in the street instead but by and large it can be said that those in dire housing need go where the LA sends them and that is usually the most undesirable housing on their books.

And my experience as a councillor upholds it. There is always the option of living in the street instead but by and large it can be said that those in dire housing need go where the LA sends them and that is usually the most undesirable housing on their books.

I think smelly was referring to my experience with "Wheeled" travellers.

The travellers are evicted from the location, not their homes, they were free to move their homes anywhere they wished and the process began again.

My mother's job was to find options, other than the most undesirable housing, for the most difficult to house sector of society, the single homeless people. Perhaps your council lacked the initiative or political will, that hers did.

Those very recent reforms removed the right to social housing, you now have to show a need, so a couple of hundred quid in the bank would mean you can raise a deposit and access to the social fund would provide rent in advance, bang goes any priority for social housing, go and rent privately...

For anyone interested a copy of the letter is available on the Bargee Travellers Association website. Follow the link below, copy and paste it into Google (other search engines are available) and click on the PDF. Having read it I don't see that either local councils or BW have much to worry about.

http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/wordpress/?p=594

Ken

Well, for a start, where on earth did I suggest that this was removing them to traveller moorings. I suggested craning them out and putting them on traveller sites.

They never move anyway so they won't notice the difference.

As to the "if only BW would provide cheap moorings they wouldn't bridge hop". Where do I begin to explain why this won't work?

If BW provide these moorings, those who are on moorings that they think are expensive will try to move to these new cheap moorings, and they will consequently be in short supply.

Perhaps they will only be available to reformed bridge hoppers, but that would be invidious, as we are rewarding people for breaking the rules.

In any case, the provision of very cheap moorings will cause the price of moorings to fall generally, and if the price falls, no new moorings will get built because people aren't going to invest in them.

You appear to think that all moorings are equal.

Moorings close to parking and public transport and other facilities (pubs?) are much more desirable than moorings without these advantages. So the former will always command a premium.

Marinas will continue to attract custom because they offer additional facilities like electricity and running water.

The simple fact is that there are not enough moorings to go round, which is why they are so expensive.

In an earlier thread you mentioned that BW takes a cut of all nearly all mooring fees. This is another factor that pushes up mooring costs, for no good reason.

And you must know that it would be wholly impracticable to remove boats to land-based traveller sites. Do you really think that the councils that own them would permit that?

Now, if you want to be useful, start lobbying BW to make more moorings available, and also to increase the number of short-stay moorings at Whaley Bridge, or wherever it is that you wish to visit.

S

You appear to think that all moorings are equal.

Moorings close to parking and public transport and other facilities (pubs?) are much more desirable than moorings without these advantages. So the former will always command a premium.

Marinas will continue to attract custom because they offer additional facilities like electricity and running water.

The simple fact is that there are not enough moorings to go round, which is why they are so expensive.

In an earlier thread you mentioned that BW takes a cut of all nearly all mooring fees. This is another factor that pushes up mooring costs, for no good reason.

And you must know that it would be wholly impracticable to remove boats to land-based traveller sites. Do you really think that the councils that own them would permit that?

Now, if you want to be useful, start lobbying BW to make more moorings available, and also to increase the number of short-stay moorings at Whaley Bridge, or wherever it is that you wish to visit.

S

It's not just the shortage of moorings, many marinas have spaces, but the shortage of residential moorings. This problem lies with the planning departments rather than with BW.

Sue

For anyone interested a copy of the letter is available on the Bargee Travellers Association website. Follow the link below, copy and paste it into Google (other search engines are available) and click on the PDF. Having read it I don't see that either local councils or BW have much to worry about.

http://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/wordpress/?p=594

Ken

I've tried a couple of times to read the above site but it seems so disjointed it is unreadable, or is it me?

Sue

The sub-headline says: The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has ruled that ‘bargee travellers’ are covered by Section 225 of the Housing Act 2004 which defines who is a traveller.

What the letter actually says is that "bargee travellers" are not necessarily excluded from the definition of "gypsies and travellers" so don't need to be the subject of a separate definition. A bargee traveller may or may not be a gypsy traveller as defined in the relevant section of the Housing Act but every case has to be considered on its merits.

That's my interpretation anyway.

Edited by journeyperson

The sub-headline says: The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) has ruled that ‘bargee travellers’ are covered by Section 225 of the Housing Act 2004 which defines who is a traveller.

What the letter actually says is that "bargee travellers" are not necessarily excluded from the definition of "gypsies and travellers" so don't need to be the subject of a separate definition. A bargee traveller may or may not be a gypsy traveller as defined in the relevant section of the Housing Act but every case has to be considered on its merits.

That's my interpretation anyway.

Sorry it was the site I didn't understand rather than the contents of that letter. Many thanks for the reply though.

Sue

But people who are evicted from their non-mobile home are forcibly relocated to whichever sink estate the council can't get people to live in voluntarily.

Do you know how this feels?

Have you ever had to live in a place like that?

Having to walk your Mrs down the stair cases of the urine stinking stair wells armed with a 12 inch kitchen knife afraid that you may get beaten up and she may get raped.

And thats just to get to the car to start a days work.

Then having to do it all over again that evening only to get in the flat and try to reassure her sobbing heart that your going to make it all right trying not to show her the tears you cry every night yourself?

Somehow I doubt it based on the opinions you so freely post with disregard for the feeling of others circumstances.

God forbid you loose your home,job,cant afford the mooring and just don't have the strength to want to live anymore other than you cant put her through killing yourself never mind move the bloody boat after two weeks.

Edited by OffGridManc

Having to walk your Mrs down the stair cases of the urine stinking stair wells armed with a 12 inch kitchen knife afraid that you may get beaten up and she may get raped.

Then having to do it all over again that evening only to get in the flat and try to reassure her sobbing heart that your going to make it all right trying not to show her the tears you cry every night yourself?

Somehow I doubt it.

God forbid you loose your home,job,cant afford the mooring and just dont have the strength to want to live anymore never mind move the bloddy boat after two weeks.

VIOLINS

Your problem is that you don't read the Daily Mail. If you did, these things would not happen to you, they would only happen elsewhere, to other people, and you could tut about it over breakfast. And form informed opinions about the situation, it's causes, and how the solution is so simple, that you don't understand why the government has not yet done something about it.

Bring back national Service....

Bring back the birch...

Bring back hanging....

Nurse....

Your problem is that you don't read the Daily Mail. If you did, these things would not happen to you, they would only happen elsewhere, to other people, and you could tut about it over breakfast. And form informed opinions about the situation, it's causes, and how the solution is so simple, that you don't understand why the government has not yet done something about it.

Bring back the birch...

Bring back hanging....

Nurse....

Yep did the Army...

Ironically that was my plan to solve our housing problem.

As for the guy with the Violins well ahem......

Ill resist the temptation of getting myself a full ban just for now.

Edited by OffGridManc

Yep did the Army...

As for the guy with the Violins well ahem......

Ill resist the temptation of getting myself a full ban just for now.

NOT GUY thanks for the rude pm.And yes i would know as i grew up on the worst council estate in england.And if your mrs was in such a state then you should have moved her from there.Simples

Bring back the birch...

Bring back hanging....

Nurse....

Is this what it's all about, the haves and the have nots? Maybe the waterways is one walk of life where people who would usually revolve in different circles come into close proximity with other groups and even compete to occupy the same bit of real estate.

I think in reality the vast majority of boaters are in the middle and have less rather than more but want to have equal access to the canal and river bank.

NOT GUY thanks for the rude pm.And yes i would know as i grew up on the worst council estate in england.And if your mrs was in such a state then you should have moved her from there.Simples

I did in fact.

Worse council estate in England lol.

Go on do tell me where this place is and please dont even bother replying if its anywhere south of the midlands.

Tuck your ego away with the daily mail.

Simples?

Oh you are so full of it arnt you?

Is this what it's all about, the haves and the have nots? Maybe the waterways is one walk of life where people who would usually revolve in different circles come into close proximity with other groups and even compete to occupy the same bit of real estate.

I think in reality the vast majority of boaters are in the middle and have less rather than more but want to have equal access to the canal and river bank.

As strange as it may seem I don't look at life like that.

Not that IM saying you are directing your post towards me.

Edited by OffGridManc

Oh we are getting on so well now.Mills and Boon aint got nothing on you

You are on a roll write a book while you are at it why don't you.

Whenever I hear old people say ''this country needs a war'' I think of people like you with Tony Blair and the BNP right up there in front but behind you of course on the front line.

Edited by OffGridManc

You are on a roll write a book while you are at it why don't you.

Whenever I hear old people say ''this country needs a war'' I think of people like you with Tony Blair and the BNP right up there in front but behind you of course on the front line.

Your the one with the poetic license.I think you may be wondering off topic old boy,now back to your sob story.Chapter two.

Somehow I doubt it based on the opinions you so freely post with disregard for the feeling of others circumstances.

God forbid you loose your home,job,cant afford the mooring and just don't have the strength to want to live anymore other than you cant put her through killing yourself never mind move the bloody boat after two weeks.

OK, sO I watch too much tv, BUT THIS POST put me in mind of my reaction to AUSTIN MITCHELL'S attitude on the new Monday night prog 'Tower Block of Commons'.

I found his smirking, and reluctance to follow the notion of the show - ie live amongst families in dire tower blocks - was so rude. As I have posted elsewhere tonight - I don't believe all I see on tv, but there seems to be some grains to consider - and consider I will next week when the MPs move to new families.

I need to give thanks for not being in the position of the people who HAVE to live in those blocks.

OK, sO I watch too much tv, BUT THIS POST put me in mind of my reaction to AUSTIN MITCHELL'S attitude on the new Monday night prog 'Tower Block of Commons'.

I found his smirking, and reluctance to follow the notion of the show - ie live amongst families in dire tower blocks - was so rude. As I have posted elsewhere tonight - I don't believe all I see on tv, but there seems to be some grains to consider - and consider I will next week when the MPs move to new families.

I need to give thanks for not being in the position of the people who HAVE to live in those blocks.

I watched that as well in fact i grew up in one of the tower blocks right where one of the mps are staying.He is a patronising git

Bring back the birch...

Bring back hanging....

Nurse....

Trouble is no govt of any persuasion has got the balls or money to do it!

Twill be us - well you, cos I'm now retired, who will pay up.

Oops - just rem - I am getting taxed on my pension - there was an item on radio4 Money Box that Loads of dud tax numbers have recently been issued - so many that WE can't get thro to their help lines to squeal, and it will be ages before they get em all sorted.