Arguemenst for a back boiler or not...as the case maybe???

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Would you have a back boiler?

Do you have a back boiler?

Are they any trouble?

Many thanks

Yes

Yes

So long as you've enough rads to consume the heat no.

In answer to the title, I've got a 500 watt radiator in the bedroom; 4 metres, a wardrobe and a bathroom stand betwixt bed and burner... 'Tis a good thing! There's a 250watt rad in the bathroom as well that reduces the number of chilly showers I have to endure. It means when on hook up or running the genny we can go for about 5 days before needing to start the engine to heat the water up again.

Against... Well as we've a calorifier on the circuit as well it takes a long time to heat up from cold. Not just "nip out for a couple of pints" time, more like tomorrow morning when we stoke the fire again and the chill will finally depart.

I have just a fire with no back boiler.We dont get cold,Was thinking off putting in a back boiler and rads,but can you turn off the rads if it gets to hot or is it a case of if they are on they stay on

Hi

If u use the thermosyphon method you could turn them off tho it would probably be beneficial to leave one on say in the bathroom to dissipate heat from the back boiler.. :lol:

I have just a fire with no back boiler.We dont get cold,Was thinking off putting in a back boiler and rads,but can you turn off the rads if it gets to hot or is it a case of if they are on they stay on

Can you turn the fire off if it gets too hot? Surely that's what windows are for.

:lol: Surely we are talking boats here, they dont have windows they av portoles do they not......

we've got both... neurghhh

I know i take them out as well,Its an age thing cant stand the heat

I quite like a sauna at this time of year; it's kind of re-assuring.

On my widebeam I have a stove with a backboiler leading to 2 rads - one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. The system runs on convection/gravity (themocycling) and has been no trouble once I sorted out the best place for the header tank.

It's a great system and something I'm pleased with since I designed and installed it myself with no previous plumbing experience. Both rads get nice and hot.

However, my stove is centrally located and although the bedrrom is normally warm, when I shut the bedrroom door (it ususally stays open), to my surprise I found that it became cold and most of the heat was actually getting there by convection - not from the radiator.

My conclusion is that if the stove is centrally located in the boat a backboiler system doesn't achieve all that much - at least not on a widebeam where natural convection currents can easily move to both ends of the boat. For the same reason I also did away with my ecofans. They did nothing.

Edit: just to add that my interior is fairly open-plan. If your boat isn't then a backboiler and rads may be beneficial.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page there is a plan of my boat, so you can see that the heat convects down the corridor which is about 3ft wide..

http://www.barging.co.uk/BlackRose.htm

Edited by blackrose

On my widebeam I have a stove with a backboiler leading to 2 rads - one in the bathroom and one in the bedroom. The system runs on convection/gravity (themocycling) and has been no trouble once I sorted out the best place for the header tank.

It's a great system and something I'm pleased with since I designed and installed it myself with no previous plumbing experience. Both rads get nice and hot.

However, my stove is centrally located and although the bedrrom is normally warm, when I shut the bedrroom door to my surprise I found that most of the heat was actually getting there by convection - not from the radiator.

My conclusion is that if the stove is centrally located in the boat a backboiler system doesn't achieve all that much - at least not on a widebeam where natural convection currents can easily move to both ends of the boat. For the same reason I also did away with my ecofans. They did nothing.

Edit: just to add that my interior is fairly open-plan. If your boat isn't then a backboiler and rads may be beneficial.

If you scroll down to the bottom of this page there is a plan of my boat, so you can see that the heat convects down the corridor which is about 3ft wide..

http://www.barging.co.uk/BlackRose.htm

Looked at your build now i have boat envy (now shouting at hubby to get his finger out and finish the cupboards and shelves)Our fire is is the middle of boat and the heat goes down the back of boat so it always warm

Looked at your build now i have boat envy (now shouting at hubby to get his finger out and finish the cupboards and shelves)

And there was me thinking traditional gender roles were disappearing! Still, as long as he can shout at you to get the dinner on I suppose it's fair. :lol:

Edited by blackrose