Boat insurance - how much does it cost if I intend to let my boat out to tourists??

Dave 1

Featured Posts

I am currently considering buying a 32' boat to hire out to people on my local canal, and I am trying to find out how much it would cost me per annum for insurance.

If anyone could give me any clue it would be very very appreciated!!!

Many thanks, Dave.

P.s. Also if anyone could me an idea of other potential costs i'd be likely to incur that would be great!

I am currently considering buying a 32' boat to hire out to people on my local canal, and I am trying to find out how much it would cost me per annum for insurance.

Many thanks, Dave.

P.s. Also if anyone could me an idea of other potential costs i'd be likely to incur that would be great!

There are several considerations to take into account, you will require a commercial licence which costs about twice a cruising licence, you will need extra insurance, and your boat will need to pass a BSS Hire Boat Examination.

I am out of touich with the specific requirements nowadays, but you should be able to get the information from BW and your insurance company.

Edited by David Schweizer

There are several considerations to take into account, you will require a commercial licence which costs about twice a cruising licence, you will need extra insurance, and your boat will need to pass a BSS Hire Boat Examination.

I am out of touich with the specific requirements nowadays, but you should be able to get the information from BW and your insurance company.

and you also need a proper hire base with facilities. The vast majority of moorings cannot be used in this way - BW don't allow it and marinas don't allow it. The only way you could do it is by hiring via a third party, but even this can be a minefield. If you are struggling to pay to run your own boat, have you considered a share in a boat?

Many thanks, Dave.

Phone Knighthood and ask them..you will find insurance both public/third party/and craft is not cheap.

See here:Knighthood.

Hi

bit off topic but Do you need extra insurance to lend out the boat to friends and family for the odd weekend, Im in the middle of refurbishing mine and have got a nice bartering system going and offering the boat out in exchange for helping me out.

Thanks

Hi

bit off topic but Do you need extra insurance to lend out the boat to friends and family for the odd weekend, Im in the middle of refurbishing mine and have got a nice bartering system going and offering the boat out in exchange for helping me out.

Thanks

Depending on your particular insurance (some may have clauses), I undertand that it is generally not a problem to lend your boat, as long as you do not get a reward in return. How far the insurance considers a bit of bartering (you help me paint the hull, you get to use the boat for a week?) a 'reward' depends on the insurance. Call them to find out.

Depending on your particular insurance (some may have clauses), I undertand that it is generally not a problem to lend your boat, as long as you do not get a reward in return. How far the insurance considers a bit of bartering (you help me paint the hull, you get to use the boat for a week?) a 'reward' depends on the insurance. Call them to find out.

But don't forget that if you are a member of RCR, only the 'Gold' level covers for 'any driver'.

Mac of Cygnet

But don't forget that if you are a member of RCR, only the 'Gold' level covers for 'any driver'.

great , thanks for replies, will look at Insurance and RCR now before any more barters take place, may be back to baby/dog sitting offers.

Dave 1

British Waterways guidance on licensing here http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/license-...itions#business

and this is just the start:

Quote:

(a) car parking for customers;

(:lol: systems for the disposal of sewage from the Boat;

© drinking-water supply to refill the Boat;

(d) covered refuse disposal bins;

(e) a mooring berth which gives safe entry and exit to and from the Boat.

Edit: oops me b and c have gone all perculiar

Unquote

Edited by bottle