I dont know whether to laugh or just give up

romarni123

Featured Posts

Just to put the cat amoung the pigeons.

Too many assumtions here. Iced in? The op never mentioned iced in they mentioned finding the notices when returning from a trip to fetch water. Iced in or ok to the water point and back? can we have clarification please. 48hr mooring, been there since last december, iced in? please can we have the full story?

Too many assumtions here. Iced in? The op never mentioned iced in they mentioned finding the notices when returning from a trip to fetch water. Iced in or ok to the water point and back? can we have clarification please. 48hr mooring, been there since last december, iced in? please can we have the full story?

The OP never said they took the boat to the water point either though, I think.

I (perhaps wrongly!) assumed they had gone to fetch some water without the boat, as the implication seemed to be that they came back to find a note, attached (presumably) to their boat - obviously not possible, if the boat was not at the mooring.

Also posters mentions others on 48 hour moorings, but does not I think say the status of the mooring she is on.

As you say, clarification required.

Just for clarification went for water in the car, have been iced in since december, have been here since16th december, no Iam not on a 48hr mooring am nowhere near a BW visitor mooring So no cat and no pigeons

Evening to you all

This is what the letter states

Dear boat licence holder

We have recieved a complaint from a member of the public about boats moored at fazely the complaints are as follows

That running of engines and generators is causing a noise disturbance

That persistant chimney smoke is adversely affecting air quality in the neighbour hood

That personal property was left on the towpath

The complaint did not identify any particular boat so this is a reminder that your boat or visitors donot cause a disturbance to other people.

We try not to get involved in neighbour disputes but we are obliged to respond to complaints and if these persist at a location we sometimes have no alternative other than to take action which could result in the cancellation of a boats licence we hope this does not reach this stage at fazely.

Then the letter just waffles on about terms and conditions.

The generators is a far point if you are right outside someones house(I dont use one before we get on to that).

Everyone has to run their engine at some point

THIS is the part which bothers me the persistant chimmney smoke how can they even responed to that complaint is beyond me.

Attached to the letter was a mooring guidence for continuous cruisers and also a summery of rules and regs for minimising the risk of neighbour complaints

Wot is all the fuss about? It seems to me that BW are just reminding boaters of some of the rules ( and i use the term loosly) and cocequenses of the actions of some of the moorers in the area, (There are allways a few who like to push thing to the limit just to see how far they can), and that they have received some complaints form a few home owners and as no boats where named in the complaints they have had to remid every one in that location.

Edited by F DRAYKE

Evening to you all

This is what the letter states

Dear boat licence holder

We have recieved a complaint from a member of the public about boats moored at fazely the complaints are as follows

That running of engines and generators is causing a noise disturbance

That persistant chimney smoke is adversely affecting air quality in the neighbour hood

That personal property was left on the towpath

The complaint did not identify any particular boat so this is a reminder that your boat or visitors donot cause a disturbance to other people.

We try not to get involved in neighbour disputes but we are obliged to respond to complaints and if these persist at a location we sometimes have no alternative other than to take action which could result in the cancellation of a boats licence we hope this does not reach this stage at fazely.

Then the letter just waffles on about terms and conditions.

The generators is a far point if you are right outside someones house(I dont use one before we get on to that).

Everyone has to run their engine at some point

THIS is the part which bothers me the persistant chimmney smoke how can they even responed to that complaint is beyond me.

Attached to the letter was a mooring guidence for continuous cruisers and also a summery of rules and regs for minimising the risk of neighbour complaints

Wot is all the fuss about? It seems to me that BW are just reminding boaters of some of the rules ( and i use the term loosly) and cocequenses of the actions of some of the moorers in the area, (There are allways a few who like to push thing to the limit just to see how far they can), and that they have received some complaints form a few home owners and as no boats where named in the complaints they have had to remid every one in that location.

Edited by F DRAYKE

*dons Devil's Advocate's cape..*

Just look at it from the other side for a moment.

A number of boats are moored outside, or near, your home, which have been there for a long time, obviously living on the cheap, and breaking the rules. They run generators or engines (because they don't move, but still need to charge batteries) at all times, and create a lot of low floating smoke. because they are exempt from the clean air act, they use what ever suits them, and get away with it. don't forget that your chimney is by neccessity at little above ground level. It is not unlike your neighbour lighting a smoking bonfire in his garden (something which I believe is governt by law). Complaining to the authorities (any authorities..) is fruitless, because they all pass it on as 'not our responsibility'..

Just because the canal was there 200 years ago, doesn't give you a statutory right to create a nuisance to the locality. It could be argued that the canal was created to transport goods, not for (cheap) housing or leisure, and since it is no longer used for transporting goods.. etc .. etc...

*dons tinhat and starts to dig....*

I wonder whether the boats in question have been mored in the same spot for ages and only recently been iced in. It isn't clear from the post. The bit about the smoke, i'd ignore that, it's ridiculous, but it does show a hint of what BW may want to introduce in the future.

I had the same problem "with smoke"when I parked the other side of the bridge at Newbold moorings-I wondered why no one was there! It is where u can run aground if u r not careful!- BW said the houses complained of smoke from the woodstove-Just dont feel wanted as though we are a "nuisance" and are moved on constantly....

LOL, we are in the middle of one of the worst winters in 3 years, there is snow everywhere and black ice, the hospitals are crowded with people thats fallen and broken bones but somehow some jealous homeowner/dog owner finds they can manage to get out to complain, what a sad life some poeple really do have..i am sure if they said nothing till after the thaw the problem would have disappeared anyway..ps. keep and eye out for the dog owner and when he dont clean up after it report him so he gets a fine...i moored up in aspley marina in huddersfield and its disgusting how much dog poo is on the towpath, we have a dog but we know how to clean up after it...

I was wondering who would be the first to pick up on this.

The OP claims to have been moored there since mid december, the big freeze didnt start until christmas week so even if they where on a 14 day mooring they would have been overstaying (or on the verge of overstaying) befoe the freeze started. Even in the firstv week of the freeze most waterways where still navigable through a this layer of ice.

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye (or than we are being told)

I was wondering who would be the first to pick up on this.

The OP claims to have been moored there since mid december, the big freeze didnt start until christmas week so even if they where on a 14 day mooring they would have been overstaying (or on the verge of overstaying) befoe the freeze started. Even in the firstv week of the freeze most waterways where still navigable through a this layer of ice.

I think there is more to this story than meets the eye (or than we are being told)

Phylis there is a difference between overstaying and on the verge of overstaying.If you add 14 days to the 16th you will find it is the 30th december and if you care to check I think you will find that most of the canals in the system were frozen and still are

Some insight into your psychology.

Get into work, log on, kick at a done to death topic to see if you can get a fight going to liven up your day.

There's always more than meets the eye, we don't know what colour the OP's boat is.

Whether it leads the discussion any further.....

Shall we formulate a new forum theorem;

Phylis' Law: When Phylis enters a discussion, it signals that everything that could be said has been said.

You really do remind me of the last aggressive person left at a party looking for a fight, anyone will do...

*dons Devil's Advocate's cape..*

Just look at it from the other side for a moment.

A number of boats are moored outside, or near, your home, which have been there for a long time, obviously living on the cheap, and breaking the rules. They run generators or engines (because they don't move, but still need to charge batteries) at all times, and create a lot of low floating smoke. because they are exempt from the clean air act, they use what ever suits them, and get away with it. don't forget that your chimney is by neccessity at little above ground level. It is not unlike your neighbour lighting a smoking bonfire in his garden (something which I believe is governt by law). Complaining to the authorities (any authorities..) is fruitless, because they all pass it on as 'not our responsibility'..

Just because the canal was there 200 years ago, doesn't give you a statutory right to create a nuisance to the locality. It could be argued that the canal was created to transport goods, not for (cheap) housing or leisure, and since it is no longer used for transporting goods.. etc .. etc...

*dons tinhat and starts to dig....*

Okay but works the other way as well, say person A has a mooring and has done so for years and person B comes along and builds houses next to canal where your mooring is and the people who live in the houses then start to complain about your fire smoke in the winter what would you do A -leave your mooring B -Not light your fire C- Tell them to fox trot oscar guess who BW would be moving and supporting.

Some insight into your psychology.

Get into work, log on, kick at a done to death topic to see if you can get a fight going to liven up your day.

There's always more than meets the eye, we don't know what colour the OP's boat is.

Whether it leads the discussion any further.....

Shall we formulate a new forum theorem;

Phylis' Law: When Phylis enters a discussion, it signals that everything that could be said has been said.

You really do remind me of the last aggressive person left at a party looking for a fight, anyone will do...

Hit a nerve have i Chris or is it a little closer to the truth than you would care to admit?

We know very little about this story yet almost everybody has taken the stance that BW must be to blame. How can that stance be justified from the sketchy information provided by the OP.

And just to go off topic slightly it seems to me that RULE breaking is a matter of interpretation. People who live on non residential moorings,people who live on boats but pay no council tax,people who live in marinas and go off for a jolly and cant live without shore power so are quite happy to run gennys when it suits them.Hello pot this is kettle.

I must be muchly 'cracking up' - for almost the first time ever I agree with Ph*lis (and for several threads have heartily disagreed with Chris PInk). Are Chris's Pink and W both sides of a mask of Janus?

It must be the start of a good year :lol:

And just to go off topic slightly it seems to me that RULE breaking is a matter of interpretation. People who live on non residential moorings,people who live on boats but pay no council tax,people who live in marinas and go off for a jolly and cant live without shore power so are quite happy to run gennys when it suits them.Hello pot this is kettle.

So what are you saying now?

That people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones.

I am and always have been very open about my regulation breaking, i dont try to hide it behind smoke screens nor do i cry unfair play by BW when caught.

I take the punishment dished out with no complaints and then move onto enjoying more boating.

I take it by using this tactic you are working up to the fact that actually you have been caught out by BW?