I dont know whether to laugh or just give up

romarni123

Featured Posts

I thought it would be something like that, I have to say I would personally find that more trouble than it's worth, especially with insurance difficulties due to "no fixed abode".

...but but but Mr Nibble, you have always said that so-called continuous cruisers are abusing the system because they get something for nothing.

Is this a modification of that view?

But - romarni123 has already mentioned that people have been living on the moorings and seem to have been given some sort of warden status by BW - the story seems to be pretty clear BW have people over staying, but don't seem to be actually dealing with the issue - and blanket targetting ALL boaters who have moored there with threatening letters claiming that their license will be revoked - This is sloppy and counter productive. BW have the means to deal with the situation but seem not to be, and are appeasing the local residence, rather than actually tackling the problem.

This is what happens here as i have said boats have been here for years the longest i think is 7 years some 2 years and all times in between and it is a 7 day mooring,I cant say it bothers me one way or another if they do, that is BW problem not mine Ihave a licence a bsc and insurance If people run gennys Im not bothered run engines the same.But when I get an enforcement notice telling me(and all the other boats)that we are upsetting the residents because of the smoke from our chimmneys and If the complaints continue we can have our licences revoked (Taking in to account that said boats have been there for years without BW useing there powers of overstaying) then I tend to get a bit miffed.

You ask for both sides of the story, but I suspect there are in fact many stories here and we are only getting one of them. The other stories belong to the other boats, who are not posting here.

Richard

Well of course there are, there are always many stories, needs, wants.

I think the nub of this issue is that the method BW have chosen as part of reconciling these groups of people is not fit for purpose and has been counter productive.

The mistake is that BW should have asked the complainant for boat names/offenders and only then action taken.

The threat of licence removal is one of the most important factors in this story.

Used as a blunt instrument "we don't like your behaviour we'll take your licence away" seems to me to ignore due process. This is unlawful.

Someone has complained.

BW have put a 'general' notice on all boats reminding them of their 'duty' to others in the locale and the CCing guidelines.

The mistake is that BW should have asked the complainant for boat names/offenders and only then action taken.

If the names/offenders could not be identified then BW should have informed the complainant that no action could be taken.

Such a incisive remark, I'm surprised none of the rest of us have really woken up to it until now, (or if they have, I missed it too!).

On re-reading, I can now see it is apparently just a single complaint, by a single member of the public, who has not said what boat(s) they are complaining about.

As you say, BW should have told them that without that information they would do nothing!.

Simple, innit!

We have recieved a complaint from a member of the public about boats moored at fazely the complaints are as follows

The complaint did not identify any particular boat so this is a reminder that your boat or visitors donot cause a disturbance to other people.

it would be a very sad individual indeed that had nothing better to do than report boats for producing smoke during the christmas/new year period.

I don't know which particular mooring Romani is on, but at Bathampton there is one canal side resident who notes the exact time of arrival of any boat, and 48 hours and 5 minutes later rings BW. Such people do exist although are thankfully few in number

Been out today for water and upon my return lo and behol theres an enforcment notice on the boats.A member of the public has made a complaint that the boats chimneys are adversley affecting their air quality and as a member of the public has complained BW say they have to respond, also the notice left is to tell us we are breaking the cc terms and conditions.It also states that if the problem with the boats continues BW will have to take action by cancelling the licences of offending boats.So do the boats not light the fires because said person wants to walk their dog up the towpath (letting it crap everywhere).And the last time i looked i was a member of the public as well, but not if you live on a boat your not, try complaining about someone in a house who makes noise as my friend did and you get short shrift.

maybe the person who complained could put you all up in there warm house until the weather improves!! and they wonder why people go abroad to live!!!

This is what happens here as i have said boats have been here for years the longest i think is 7 years some 2 years and all times in between and it is a 7 day mooring,I cant say it bothers me one way or another if they do, that is BW problem not mine Ihave a licence a bsc and insurance If people run gennys Im not bothered run engines the same.But when I get an enforcement notice telling me(and all the other boats)that we are upsetting the residents because of the smoke from our chimmneys and If the complaints continue we can have our licences revoked (Taking in to account that said boats have been there for years without BW useing there powers of overstaying) then I tend to get a bit miffed.

It was a 48 hour mooring earlier, have BW suddenly changed it?

Is the real issue that you see people getting away with overstaying (supposedly, however how do we know that they dont have some agreement with BW) yet you have been caught out?

I don't know which particular mooring Romani is on, but at Bathampton there is one canal side resident who notes the exact time of arrival of any boat, and 48 hours and 5 minutes later rings BW. Such people do exist although are thankfully few in number

HI ya some people have very little else to do sad really.

Well that's because it works, he's now had a whole stretch of 48 hour moorings and a multi-million pound 'mooring strategy' granted him by the targets of our forelock tugging.

Is the real issue that you see people getting away with overstaying (supposedly, however how do we know that they dont have some agreement with BW) yet you have been caught out?

OK, I'm going to say it too. Please go back and read all of this thread before making any more comments. You are making yourself look foolish now.

Richard

Well that's because it works, he's now had a whole stretch of 48 hour moorings and a multi-million pound 'mooring strategy' granted him by the targets of our forelock tugging.

Interesting that it is only the CCers who seem to have a problem with the new mooring strategy.

PHYLIS PHYLIS The mooring sign is a 48 hrs in the letter it says 7 days.Caught out at what may I ask pray do tell but please dont rehash old ground you know ccing rules over staying etc

NO i have not been here for ages although there are boats that have been here for years on a 48 hour mooring.

RWLP, I rest my case

PHYLIS PHYLIS The mooring sign is a 48 hrs in the letter it says 7 days.Caught out at what may I ask pray do tell but please dont rehash old ground you know ccing rules over staying etc

Well BW, as your regulating body, seem to have found something, probably in the "waffle" you failed to post.

Interesting that it is only the CCers who seem to have a problem with the new mooring strategy.

And your evidence for that is what ?

IMO you have lost it this morning, big time, but I'm sure me saying that will not discourage you one iota, from keep digging a whole variety of holes.

There are plenty of people on here who managed to get out and about over the christmas and new year period.

And there are plenty who couldn't.

Phylis, you've run some silly lines of argument in your time, but this one takes the biscuit.

You managed to cruise on a river. most canals have been iced up to the extent that it would be unreasonable to expect somebody to move on since Christmas.

RWLP, I rest my case

Well BW, as your regulating body, seem to have found something, probably in the "waffle" you failed to post.

Well phylis as you said earlier you often break the rules and just take your punishment and just get on with your boating,So pot kettle black still springs to mind.

Like a punch drunk boxer's last wild swing.

fish, price of?

What are you trying to say?

Edited by Chris Pink

Phylis, you've run some silly lines of argument in your time, but this one takes the biscuit.

You managed to cruise on a river. most canals have been iced up to the extent that it would be unreasonable to expect somebody to move on since Christmas.

No

It would have been an impossibility for us to have moved since Christmas. Removing blacking isn't an issue since moving is not possible.

Well phylis as you said earlier you often break the rules and just take your punishment and just get on with your boating,So pot kettle black still springs to mind.

As i said last time no, because i dont moan about it and pretend i have done nothing wrong

Not true 48 hours is an unreasonable limit at the place in question, particularly in mid december when it's snowing and blowing a gale

More interesting is Chris Pink knew exactly who I was talking about, and probably shares my view of the character, which is roughly "what did you buy a canalside house for?"

Before you get too superior about this, Phylis is known to have broken the rules once, been prosecuted for it and paid a fine. She has always been very open and honest about this. I'm not sure that trying to insinuate that she is a regular rule breaker is helping your argument.

Richard

As i said last time no, because i dont moan about it and pretend i have done nothing wrong

So phylis what have you been punished for, over staying, useing a jenny, running your engine out of hours Dont tell me you would commit anything more serious than this. And i dont need to pretend to to have done nothing wrong because if i had i would not be on here would I( doh) I would just look at the notice and ignore it Your arguments hold about as much water as a collinder