Home made fruit booze

Kez

Featured Posts

I made Sloe gin, Elderberry liqueur, Damson sherry and vodka in time for christmas and we drank it, so what can I make now that theres no sloes etc?

My winery is empty apart fron one bottle of oak leaf wine! Ideas please :lol:

I made Sloe gin, Elderberry liqueur, Damson sherry and vodka in time for christmas and we drank it, so what can I make now that theres no sloes etc?

My winery is empty apart fron one bottle of oak leaf wine! Ideas please :lol:

Anything!

My in-laws used to say "if it rots, you can make wine with it".

Apples are cheap, easy and successful

Richard

Guest wanted

I made Rasberry vodka- gone

Blueberry Vodka- a little left

Cranberry Vodka- Still 'brewing'

Sloe Gin, Nearly ready!

I fancy the idea of ruhbarb vodka?

Charlotte wants to try the more traditional, 'skittles' vodka :lol:

Turbo cider,Lidl pure apple juice and yeast.Very violent fermentation and very dry when finished.

Wine using fruit juice from Lidl,should be a recipe on some homewine website or forum.

Fresh fruit from supermarket say plums and sugar and spirit,same way as sloe gin

Not a lot around at the moment, plenty of parsnips and cheap carrots but you're looking at 6-12 months to make anything decent from them.

For a fairly quick and stupidly easy wine which is ready for drinking in 1-2 months, is surprisingly good and usually works out around 45p a bottle, take a look at Wurzel's Orange.

Ignore the brand names, any supermarket juices will do just fine.

1 litre white grape juice

1 litre orange juice

around 750g sugar

Pectolase, tannin (or a mug of strong black tea), yeast, nutrient and glycerine.

Simples :lol:

Edit: Alternate link

Fruity pink variant, half way down the first post. I've just started 6 gallons but quantities can be scaled down.

Edited by Moley

Great idea Moley. I'm just about to start the last bottle of elderberry I made in September. (decanting before drinking helps the vino with such a short bottling life but a girl gets desparate on a cold night)

'Self sufficiency' update:

This years wine making will be more planned but deffo ++++ elderberry. An easy wine to make.

The blackberry produced a bit of a weedy wine so will use them for more jam & stewed fruits in the freezer.

The 36 new rhubarb plants have all rotted in my damp garden so that was a disaster.

Sloe Gin - brilliant but I must learn more restraint and not drink it within the month of bottling :lol:

Runner beans were excellent (var. Lady Di) with loads still in small meal sized bagfulls in the freezer.

Sweet Chestnuts: In the end we flogged £225 worth at £2 a kilo but good nut years only happen every 3 years or so.

This is always a good standby: Prison Wine :lol:

Ive been out collecting rosehips, Ive put them in a bucket with half a bag of left over cranberries from christmas. Every day I collect a small bag when out walking the dog and pop them in the freezer till I have enough.

Bridgit

Ive been out collecting rosehips, Ive put them in a bucket with half a bag of left over cranberries from christmas. Every day I collect a small bag when out walking the dog and pop them in the freezer till I have enough.

Bridgit

What are you going to do with them? Itching Powder was always good fun!

Christine, rosehip wine can be a cracker, although I am surprised that there are any still left that are worth bothering with. Mine has finished, is crystal clear and could probably be bottled now.

• 13 years later...
On 05/01/2010 at 21:02, Moley said:

Not a lot around at the moment, plenty of parsnips and cheap carrots but you're looking at 6-12 months to make anything decent from them.

For a fairly quick and stupidly easy wine which is ready for drinking in 1-2 months, is surprisingly good and usually works out around 45p a bottle, take a look at Wurzel's Orange.

Ignore the brand names, any supermarket juices will do just fine.

1 litre white grape juice

1 litre orange juice

around 750g sugar

Pectolase, tannin (or a mug of strong black tea), yeast, nutrient and glycerine.

Simples :lol:

Edit: Alternate link

Fruity pink variant, half way down the first post. I've just started 6 gallons but quantities can be scaled down.

Bumping this recipe as it's back on topic

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

pineapple winr works out very well, I used cartons of unsweetened juice, the fermentation was so violent it feremted out in less that a week, I had to change the airlock everyday as it was like a eruption.

It made a very strong dry wine.

Yeah, I did a Wurzel's with pineapple once.  Then I cleaned up and painted the ceiling again ... 

• 1 month later...
On 16/09/2023 at 11:00, MtB said:

Wurzel's orange link doesn't work!!

Try these

...and I'm thinking... on the one hand I've got some 5l and 25l bottles, how hard can it be? but on the other hand progress of fixing things on the boat is unlikely to speed up any if I float down that river!