Portaloos

owenk

Featured Posts

Can't believe this hasn't been done before, but I couldn't readily find anything.

Apologies also for raising this subject so early on a Saturday morning.

Being new to all this boating malakey we are learning the ropes with regard to our portaloo. One thing I guesss only experience would tell would be how long one can be left before it creates issues.

For example, if we were using the boat tonight, overnight, so that tomorrow when we lock up the loo will be carrying only a light load, how long could this be left before it started to create "issues" in terms of odour etc. All I am thinking is if we are going to be back again next weekend it seems a waste/not very green emptying tomorrow. Conversely I don't want to get back to an "atmosphere" next weekend.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Can't believe this hasn't been done before, but I couldn't readily find anything.

Being new to all this boating malakey we are learning the ropes with regard to our portaloo. One thing I guesss only experience would tell would be how long one can be left before it creates issues.

For example, if we were using the boat tonight, overnight, so that tomorrow when we lock up the loo will be carrying only a light load, how long could this be left before it started to create "issues" in terms of odour etc. All I am thinking is if we are going to be back again next weekend it seems a waste/not very green emptying tomorrow. Conversely I don't want to get back to an "atmosphere" next weekend.

You don't say what sort of loo you have, but if it is a portapotty type you are only emptying the contents whether full of half doesn't make a difference.

It also depends on how good the seals are and the chemical used.

Trial & error I suggest.

Sue

As Sue has said it depends on the type of toilet. My experience with Thetford cassette toilets and spare cassettes was that it was Ok to leave them under the circumstances you describe. It is not likely to be a problem in the cooler winter weather anyway. In the summer though there is a tendency for the contents, or even the residual water and air after an empty out, to expand/gas a bit and you can find the cassette slighty 'ballooned'. This soon vents when you open the slide so my recommendation is to vent the tank before filling the area above the slide otherwise it tends to blow back :lol: . I have never experienced any problems other than this.

Roger

Edited by Albion

As Sue has said it depends on the type of toilet. My experience with Thetford cassette toilets and spare cassettes was that it was Ok to leave them under the circumstances you describe. It is not likely to be a problem in the cooler winter weather anyway. In the summer though there is a tendency for the contents, or even the residual water and air after an empty out, to expand/gas a bit and you can find the cassette slighty 'ballooned'. This soon vents when you open the slide so my recommendation is to vent the tank before filling the area above the slide otherwise it tends to blow back :lol: . I have never experienced any problems other than this.

Roger

That does not paint a pretty picture... must have been quite a shock...

:lol:

That does not paint a pretty picture... must have been quite a shock...

:lol:

Ah yes, the trick was to remember each time. Once you'd had a pee there was no way of venting the tank without risking a bit of a blow back. Many times I said to myself "Damn, I should have remembered!" :lol:

Luckily it wasn't too over-pressurised on most occasions.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Roger

Roger, psssst!! please tell us, do you always sit down for a pee, is your aim that bad? :lol:

As someone famous, once reflected, it is strange, that as a boy, I could a knock a fly off the urinal wall, form 10 feet away first aim, now 40 years later, I cannot hit first time a circle nearly two feet in diameter, from less than 2 feet away, it is as if my knob has been fitted with a random direction sprinkler system. :lol:

Rob

Edited by Byeckerslike

Roger, psssst!! please tell us, do you always sit down for a pee, is your aim that bad? :lol:

Rob

Err, no you cheeky sod. Unfortunately, due to the installation in the boat, the lever to operate the slide was down behind the bowl and that meant leaning over the bowl to operate it, which got my face a tad closer to the bowl than I would otherwise have liked under the circumstances :lol:

Roger

Err, no you cheeky sod. Unfortunately, due to the installation in the boat, the lever to operate the slide was down behind the bowl and that meant leaning over the bowl to operate it, which got my face a tad closer to the bowl than I would otherwise have liked under the circumstances :lol:

Roger

Shut the lid or get a "Pump Out"

Owen

Bit of local knowledge, keep it to yourself.

The owner of the farm where you are going to moor, allows you to empty your 'mobile' loo in his septic tank, but only if you use an additive that is not loo blue, say, green, which is rather more suitable for a septic. We have a 'pump out' so have never used this option.

By all means ask first but this is what he told us when we moved there 4 years ago.

Martyn

Owen

Bit of local knowledge, keep it to yourself.

The owner of the farm where you are going to moor, allows you to empty your 'mobile' loo in his septic tank, but only if you use an additive that is not loo blue, say, green, which is rather more suitable for a septic. We have a 'pump out' so have never used this option.

By all means ask first but this is what he told us when we moved there 4 years ago.

Martyn

So that's two of you I need to watch out for next time I go south

Roger

The cs 200 cassettes have a vent which is opened by the action of inserting the cassette into the toilet, and closes again as the cassette is withdrawn. On those toilets at least, you shouldn't get "blowback".

MP.

The cs 200 cassettes have a vent which is opened by the action of inserting the cassette into the toilet, and closes again as the cassette is withdrawn. On those toilets at least, you shouldn't get "blowback".

MP.

Yep, that is indeed the theory, but for some reason in practice it didn't work out that way, despite having paid attention to the working of the vent valve (removing and cleaning).

Roger