TESCO

Dalesman

Featured Posts

What has that got to do with anything, I don't work in a supermarket.

But for the record my work performance is monitored and a lot of work I do is subject to scrutiny by my manager/supervisor and subject to both audit by internal audit and external audit and unannounced external inspection - I don't see that as being 'spied' on, just it being verified that the job I am being paid to do I am doing. (which BTW if you are a UK taxpayer you're paying me to do)

We also use CCTV for security purposes (Like I would guess 99% of all organisations).

Fair enough, I personally don't like the misuse of CCTV.

:lol:

seems like you were in the minority and the locals have voted for Tesco

Except the 'vote' and public consultations were held 20 miles away from the town on a Thursday afternoon, I am sure a lot of people said they would like a big town supermarket, Tesco and the like spend millions of pounds convincing people that they are needed.

Except the 'vote' and public consultations were held 20 miles away from the town on a Thursday afternoon, I am sure a lot of people said they would like a big town supermarket, Tesco and the like spend millions of pounds convincing people that they are needed.

Millions of people use Tesco's although there is plenty of other choice. Maybe they are getting something right.

Sue

I was not talking about the application, I was commenting on your post where you said local shops were closing down because people were now shopping at Tesco.

And of course the Butchers are struggling the Cheese shop has been replaced by an estate agents and the bakery is now flats. Every little bit helps!

Waitrose practically give their out of date stuff away.

When I lived in Palmers Green, our local Morrisons used to mark down all the out of code ready meals to 20p each after 9pm each night - I would buy them and freeze them.

When we were really skint about three years ago, I only had about £20-£25 a week to spend on groceries, so I didn't really bother with Tesco, I cycled to the indoor market in Edmonton (very poverty stricken area in North London) or to Walthamstow market and bought all my food there. It wasn't rubbish - we ate really well - lots of veg curries, because there are plenty of Indian shops there that don't charge you the earth for the curry spices. Tesco is expensive, much more expensive than markets - the Turkish veg shops in North London are always cheaper for veg and theres one on most corners so not inconvenient. The Turkish shop will do you 10 lemons for £1.50, in Tesco it's 39p for one.

Has anyone noticed how M&S has started selling marked down food now? That never used to happen? I was in the West End yesterday and really pushed for time, so I bought some food from M & S rather than detour to Lidl on my way back - for once I didn't find it a rip off in there - they had offers!

When I lived in Palmers Green, our local Morrisons used to mark down all the out of code ready meals to 20p each after 9pm each night - I would buy them and freeze them.

When we were really skint about three years ago, I only had about £20-£25 a week to spend on groceries, so I didn't really bother with Tesco, I cycled to the indoor market in Edmonton (very poverty stricken area in North London) or to Walthamstow market and bought all my food there. It wasn't rubbish - we ate really well - lots of veg curries, because there are plenty of Indian shops there that don't charge you the earth for the curry spices. Tesco is expensive, much more expensive than markets - the Turkish veg shops in North London are always cheaper for veg and theres one on most corners so not inconvenient. The Turkish shop will do you 10 lemons for £1.50, in Tesco it's 39p for one.

Has anyone noticed how M&S has started selling marked down food now? That never used to happen? I was in the West End yesterday and really pushed for time, so I bought some food from M & S rather than detour to Lidl on my way back - for once I didn't find it a rip off in there - they had offers!

I used to live In Palmers Green, really miss the cheap veg shops, I used to frequent the Salisbury on the Green lanes and Yasir Halim's was 'the' shop to go, good cheap veg, and amazing bread. Then meat land on the way home, no need for the supermarket. I think M&S are struggling a bit, didn't the one in p. green shut down?

Anyway Norf Landan=happy days

Millions of people use Tesco's although there is plenty of other choice. Maybe they are getting something right.

Sue

Plainly Tescos are doing something right; at least in the eyes of their shareholders as the profits and turnover year on year has grown stupendously. I would question whether there is plenty of other choice in many areas and Tescos (and others of the big supermarket conglomerates) have also actively stifled other outlets. But it is surely desirable and healthy that a growing number of people prefer to source their food (and other goods for that matter) from small local concerns. I can swear that the food I buy, almost all of it from an array of local outlets and producers, is of better quality, and it is a myth that I have to pay more to do so. I am possibly lucky that I live in an area where the land is productive, and that there are a good number of small scale producers. But it is not just that: I lived in London for many years, and as Lady Muck points out, the markets there offer a cheap and fantastic array of produce at far cheaper prices than the Big 5.

Added to that is the social aspect of such shopping. You meet people and talk to them at markets and small outlets. In the supermarkets there seems to be little or no social interaction apart from trolley rage and anger at the person with 40 products at the 10 items or fewer check out till.

I would never criticise anyone for getting all their groceries from a major supermarket, but I would certainly encourage them to try an alternative.

I don't know if it was company policy, but in our area M&S used to give short date pastries and sandwiches etc to local homeless peoples hostels etc.

The sandwich chain 'Benjis' used to do that in London, too, but IIRC 'liabilities' got in the way after someone got food poisoning.

I don't know if it was company policy, but in our area M&S used to give short date pastries and sandwiches etc to local homeless peoples hostels etc.

The M&S in Ashton used to do that, too. I know, because I drove the van round to collect it a couple of times. But they suddenly stopped doing it, which made quite a difference to the homeless charity concerned. I assumed it was because M&S were going through hard times and were trying to sell the stuff instead.

I still like Tesco

I also like the Co-op. They did my father proud at his funeral

Good to hear.

They did mine too, I ordered the Daimler, and they turned up with a Morris Oxford complete with brown trim around the wheel arches.

Didn't like to make a fuss, and Dad didn't say anything.

Service is only as good as the people who arrange and deliver it. But general policies can affect that greatly.

Derek

I used to live In Palmers Green, really miss the cheap veg shops, I used to frequent the Salisbury on the Green lanes and Yasir Halim's was 'the' shop to go, good cheap veg, and amazing bread. Then meat land on the way home, no need for the supermarket. I think M&S are struggling a bit, didn't the one in p. green shut down?

Anyway Norf Landan=happy days

Yes, I used to do all my grocery shopping in Yasar Halim, really miss the 1kg of mixed olives for about £4. We are spoilt for choice in North London!

I wonder if that's more to do with the pressure to stop throwing away perfectly good food?

They used to only offer it to employees out the back and keep the retail stuff all at full price. It never went on display. I think they are now having to offer markdowns to the general public in order to get some customers back in the shop.