London 1924

dove

Featured Posts

Found this http://www.youtube.com/user/HuntleyFilmArc...2/0/0jZWDVrHk3k

Watch out for the shot of Columbia when it was a Horse boat

Andrew

We have been showing Barging Through London on a continuous loop at the London Canal Museum for the last twenty odd years and it is still probably our most enjoyed exhibit.

We also sell it on a DVD

Tim

Found this http://www.youtube.com/user/HuntleyFilmArc...2/0/0jZWDVrHk3k

Watch out for the shot of Columbia when it was a Horse boat

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Bloody fantastic - You can still recognise some the locks

It all seem such a long time ago, but it was filmed when my dad was 23 years old.

How times have change - in only one life time.

Alex

Conerted to a motor, http://models.bipolar4all.co.uk/fmc%20motors.htm

Think it was at Braunston this year.

Andrew

The shot in the 1924 film shows Columbia which gives the impression of being a wooden boat.

But the motor Columbia was built in 1929 at Saltley as an iron composite. Sure you have the right boat?

I think you are looking at two different boats.

Derek

The shot in the 1924 film shows Columbia which gives the impression of being a wooden boat.

But the motor Columbia was built in 1929 at Saltley as an iron composite. Sure you have the right boat?

Derek

Hi Derek,

According to my readings, it was built in 1907 as a horse boat and converted in 1937.

If you look at the film at 06:07mins you can see about 6 rivets just in front of the fore cabin.

But aint going to argue, I'm sure someone more quallified will be along soon.

Andrew

Derek

COLUMBIA 151 was built at Saltley by Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. as an iron horse boat. It was completed in May 1907 at a cost of £200. COLUMBIA 151 was health registered as Birmingham 1189 on 14 June 1907 as a fore cabined horse boat (approved for 4 persons), B.C.N. gauged on 23 May 1908 (B.C.N. 20608) and Grand Junction Canal gauged on 18 November 1908 (G.J.C. 11617).

COLUMBIA 151 was one of twelve Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. horse boats to be converted to counter sterned motor boats by W.J. Yarwood & Sons Ltd., Northwich in the late 1930's (in two batch's) and was completed in January 1939. The motor boat COLUMBIA 346 was health registered as Birmingham 1623 on 03 February 1939 (approved for 3 persons - fore cabin removed) and B.C.N. gauged on 31 July 1939 (B.C.N. 2069).

COLUMBIA 346 was sold to 'British Waterways' in January 1949 and was latterly used in their maintenance fleet. Unfortunately the maintenance boat COLUMBIA was one of about 6 to have its fore end cut off at Northwich, being rebuilt as a trip boat when sold by B.W.B. in 1979. After a rather chequered history COLUMBIA has recently been rebuilt as a full length motor boat incorporating a new 27' fore end built by Dave Thomas, Braunston (non replica). COLUMBIA was for sale last year.

The COLUMBIA shown in the 1924 film is undoubtedly the Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. horse boat COLUMBIA 151, and although I do not like to be considered as a rivet counter they can be seen on the fore end top bends at the 6 minute mark.

Edited by pete harrison

Well that cleared that up then

Thanks Pete

Andrew

Good 'ol Pete! I was trying to get back into that film for a better look, but the damn thing would'nt play ball, so chanced my luck.

Serves me right eh!

Should' have known better - Derek

I think I might have been misled a little bit by the Fuller's list, I thought I read Saltley, and 1929 in the same sentence. I haven't checked though.

Off to bed!

Edited by Derek R.