Why do they do it ...

Tullz

Featured Posts

By the by PB, do you think Waterways World will want to review Cobbett? My hinges cost 6.5p each from Screwfix and I've painted her myself ... quite badly ...... !

You painted her yourself in then end?

She must be nearly ready now :lol:

I think the OP point has provided a good debate.

Think of it as a pub, this sort of question gets asked without a blink amongst groups of people.

Just because it's a forum, there is no need to 'av a lttle go at him! :lol:

Mark

I think it's a valid question tbh. There do seem to be lots of people who buy boats then decide they don't like it pretty much straight away (as evidenced by the huge amount of nearly new boats on the market), but I'd guess they're not the sort of people who post on here. People who use the forums are pretty much by definition interested in the hows and whys of living aboard and are making slightly more informed decisions.

Edited by deletedaccount

It is all very well for contributors in this topic to cite cases where people have got married or bought a house without trying it first, but these matters are very different to giving up a home on the land and moving into the constraints of a floating steel tube.

Most of us grew up in a house and were nurtured by parents who, even if not married, would have given us a fair insight into the benefits and pitfalls of such relationships. Very few members on this forum will grown up in a narrow boat or even holidayed on one as a child, so for the vast majority, the boating environment is not something with which we were already familiar.

Now consider the financial aspects, a house generally holds its value (even in these troubled times) but a boat purchased new is very unlikely to be worth anything near what you paid for it in a few years time. And unlike owning the freehold of a house, unless you extremely fortunate, you will not own the water the boat floats on and will have to pay for the privilege - at the moment we pay more than £2,000 a year for that privilege (BW licence and mooring) and I don't think anyone expects it to go down!

So, in conclusion, whilst admitting that it is a truly great life if you enjoy it, if you make this jump without fully researching it first, there is a chance that it may not be for you and, in these circumstances, it may cost you a lot of money to be miserable afloat.

To be fair, I didn't sell my house to fund Dao. And I knew I'd be able to sell her for about the same as I bought her if I hated it. Such are the benefits of a decent second hand boat.

I think it make a lot of sense to buy a good pre-owned boat before committing to a new build - in the four years that we have owned 'Alnwick' a lot of our ideas have changed and we are so glad that we made the decision to buy from someone with more than 20 years experience of living aboard.

High, if you don't do a lot of fieldwork too.

I dare to differ here - keeping the thread polite and friendly like.

I had never set foot on a nb. never seen inside one. Never worked a lock. Never even knew what a canal was until 10 years ago.

Sold the flat in three days, the MB took three months to build from a sailaway shell the beauty that Twakkie is now. I set my foot on a narrowboat for the first time when she was delivered.

That was 3 years and four winters ago. I would not change it for the world, did the safety training, did the lock training etc, and learned to do everything including change a gas bottle.

I think its wrong to take on particular stance on this. Everyone is different. Some are cautious (and thank heavens we have them) and will try something out before taking that leap.

Others like me, will pack up kids and 3 suitacases and cros the world. Sell all their worldy possessions and move onto a floating railway carriage. Maybe we are just the type who take a leap of faith more easily.

I am not saying that either attitude is wrong, but there is space for all different types boater out there.

I dont know what you are all moaning about.

The brave/stupid people that sell their houses to buy boats without ever having stepped foot on a boat before, keep the rest of us in a nice supply of 1 and 2 year old boats. :lol:

Oops edited to add - I did not sell my home however, I kept that and do still have it, so maybe not quite as idiotic as you might all thing.

No Phyllis, I'm not selling you mine - :lol:

Edited by kiki

Is buying a narrowboat any different than upping sticks and moving abroad because you've had a nice holiday there? Living on a boat means you have to adapt, as does moving abroad. Even if you don't adapt, you've still learnt a lot yourself and will appreciate what you've got - even if it means returning to what you left and looking at it with fresh eyes. Mind you, there are some people who'll never be happy....

I think its wrong to take on particular stance on this. Everyone is different. Some are cautious (and thank heavens we have them) and will try something out before taking that leap.

There we were, all having jolly larks casting nasturtiums on each other's lifestyles, and kiki goes and spoils it by being reasonable.

Actually, before I had kids I did the sensible thing and borrowed someone else's for a fortnight. That way I got the hang of things a bit and learned what I did and didn't like about children, which came in handy later when I finally "commissioned" my own.

Is buying a narrowboat any different than upping sticks and moving abroad because you've had a nice holiday there? Living on a boat means you have to adapt, as does moving abroad. Even if you don't adapt, you've still learnt a lot yourself and will appreciate what you've got - even if it means returning to what you left and looking at it with fresh eyes. Mind you, there are some people who'll never be happy....

No it isn't but then a lot of people have made themselves very miserable by doing that too!

I just say that no one should make the 'leap of faith' with their eyes completely closed to what they are letting themselves in for. And if you can afford to buy a boat and keep one foot on the land, that is probably the best option.

I bet there are a few people who invested in Spanish property and have moved there who would love the chance to escape and come back here to live on a NB.

I can only speak for myself, obviously, but I knew I'd have a completely different mind set if I'd just 'holiday'd before buying.

Difficult to really explain, but I knew I'd get more out of going directly on-board rather than having the 'backup' of a holiday company and the enforced time-table of a holiday turn-a-around.

Not necessarily a route I'd advise for others, but it worked for me.

I think that all the hiring in the world will not prepare you for when all the electrics 'just die' on you in February in the middle of a cold snap and you can't get anyone out to look at them. You either have the spirit of adventure to cope with it or you don't.

I'm still undecided as to whether I think I could permanently cc (no ties / not employees so we could easily do it), we did six months in total away from the mooring this year and loved it but I was very glad to get back and on the mains hook up once the nights started drawing in. It's a whole different ball game, the cc-ing lark, can be much harder, especially when things go wrong - either with the boat or other stuff such as family stuff or serious illness, or even pets getting sick.

Thats a relief :lol:

:lol: pppttttttttttttt ( a zerbit to you to start off your weekend )

There we were, all having jolly larks casting nasturtiums on each other's lifestyles, and kiki goes and spoils it by being reasonable.

Actually, before I had kids I did the sensible thing and borrowed someone else's for a fortnight. That way I got the hang of things a bit and learned what I did and didn't like about children, which came in handy later when I finally "commissioned" my own.

I admire your far thinking (is that the correct word) - if more people could borrow someone else's kids, there would be no population left !!

But like borrowing someone else's kids, you can't treat them the same as you would your own - locking them in the airing cupboard on bread and water for a week is not really allowed with other peoples kids.

Sorry for being sensible, just sent a Zerbit to Phyllis so hopefully I am back on track.

It certainly is.

Wow

Dave and Phyllis on one wharf - OMG it would certaily liven things up.

Now consider the financial aspects, a house generally holds its value (even in these troubled times) but a boat purchased new is very unlikely to be worth anything near what you paid for it in a few years time. And unlike owning the freehold of a house, unless you extremely fortunate, you will not own the water the boat floats on and will have to pay for the privilege - at the moment we pay more than £2,000 a year for that privilege (BW licence and mooring) and I don't think anyone expects it to go down!

Of course but this paints it all a bit black and white, not all people put 100% of the proceeds of their house sale into their boat and a good secondhand boat is a lot less to buy than a house. The option I chose was to use about 50% of my capital and invest the rest on the stock market for an income and future growth.

It's fine to point out the downside of costs but weigh it up also against the cost of repaying a mortgage and home ownership. Personally I've found living aboard very rewarding, it more than makes up for the planning and energy involved.

I think that all the hiring in the world will not prepare you for when all the electrics 'just die' on you in February in the middle of a cold snap and you can't get anyone out to look at them. You either have the spirit of adventure to cope with it or you don't.

I'm still undecided as to whether I think I could permanently cc (no ties / not employees so we could easily do it), we did six months in total away from the mooring this year and loved it but I was very glad to get back and on the mains hook up once the nights started drawing in. It's a whole different ball game, the cc-ing lark, can be much harder, especially when things go wrong - either with the boat or other stuff such as family stuff or serious illness, or even pets getting sick.

Getting rid of the car was a great relief to us tho like most things it is a double edged sword, being able to escape whenever you choose or nip off to have a job done would be nice but it would come with strings, mot, servicing, repairs etc. (A relative spends £2000 pa just running his 12 year old Rover) We spend approx £1500 per annum on hire cars (good old Enterprise - where would we be without them) but I console myself with the comfort of knowing we are saving money and can just hand them back with no worries.

One advantage with just having a boat and nothing else is being able to spend more on solving problems like replacing batteries etc. still cheaper than running a house and car.

We have no pets so that makes things much easier I guess.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Getting rid of the car was a great relief to us tho like most things it is a double edged sword, being able to escape whenever you choose or nip off to have a job done would be nice but it would come with strings, mot, servicing, repairs etc. (A relative spends £2000 pa just running his 12 year old Rover) We spend approx £1500 per annum on hire cars (good old Enterprise - where would we be without them) but I console myself with the comfort of knowing we are saving money and can just hand them back with no worries.

One advantage with just having a boat and nothing else is being able to spend more on solving problems like replacing batteries etc. still cheaper than running a house and car.

We have no pets so that makes things much easier I guess.

You are right about the pets - on the subject of car hire, we don't have a car and have given up on hiring because of the fines we get if there is even one solitary dog hair on the seats (despite us using a seat cover and me going over it with sellotape and a brush). I can't join the streetcar scheme in London either because they specify no pets. Its not that I disagree with it, I can understand why they do it, but it makes it damned inconveinent for us!