Anything you can do...

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

Having prepared a lock on Leeds Liverpool yesterday, I was just getting back aboard my 50' narrowboat when I noticed a small tupperware cruiser approaching at speed from behind. Flying past me, he pulled a couple of donut spins in the pound before entering the lock ahead of me.

As I pulled in behind him, being sure not to crush the poor little mite he leant over to me and said "I bet you wish you could do that!?"

I replied, "Not really, but I bet you wish you could just do what I just did."

"What did you do?" he asked.

"I popped into my galley to make a cup of tea and rolled myself a ciggy before having a bit of a nap on an actual bed."

He didn't get it.

I pulled a doughnut on the Coventry a couple of weeks ago.. in a winding hole it was, ok took a couple of forwards and backs and a couple of 'ard overs and took about 5 minutes but a doughnut it was at least in narrow boating terms it was. :lol:

I like the idea of the steps beside the kitchen unit so that one can do the cooking sitting down!

Reminds me of sitting in the centre cockpit of the instructor's cruiser while I was doing the IWHC/CEVNI course recently. While we were waiting for the other guy to turn up the instructor said "Feel fee to have a look around."

I couldn't help thinking "But I can see it all from here - everything's just a few feet away!" :lol:

During the course he told us that the best way to get off the bottom if you're grounded is to get the crew to stand on the other side of the boat, even though he knew that the other guy on the course owned a 38m barge! :lol:

Edited by blackrose

Ah, a nice Fairline 19. We looked at a couple when we were buying our first boat. I was impressed with the one with a 3.odd litre engine swinging a set of Volvo duo props.

Mind you it would fit in the tender garage of some of Fairline's more recent output.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Reminds me of sitting in the centre cockpit of the instructor's cruiser while I was doing the IWHC/CEVNI course recently. While we were waiting for the other guy to turn up the instructor said "Feel fee to have a look around."

I couldn't help thinking "But I can see it all from here - everything's just a few feet away!" ;)

During the course he told us that the best way to get off the bottom if you're grounded is to get the crew to stand on the other side of the boat, even though he knew that the other guy on the course owned a 38m barge! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Either mangled in the duo props or drowned :lol:

:lol: I'm sure you realised that I meant the "Not enough room to swing one" sentiment....!

Whilst I appreciate that Cal is a lovely cruiser, I can't help drawing a comparison with her and a footballer's wife; An exterior that exudes a feisty and racey attitude, always ready for a good time, but, with an interior that lacks both class and character!

You should be very proud of her.

Coat anyone..?

Phylis,

I notice from your photos (nice boat by the way), you appear to have a Jabsco manual flush toilette. (Could have been a toilet but I am feeling french aujourdui today.

Could I be so bold as to ask if you have been satisfied with its performance? Does it pump to a holding tank / overboard/ both? Does it cope well with solids?

I ask because my newly acquired (well, ok I've not paid for it yet) boat has a similar device.

K

Phylis,

I notice from your photos (nice boat by the way), you appear to have a Jabsco manual flush toilette. (Could have been a toilet but I am feeling french aujourdui today.

Could I be so bold as to ask if you have been satisfied with its performance? Does it pump to a holding tank / overboard/ both? Does it cope well with solids?

I ask because my newly acquired (well, ok I've not paid for it yet) boat has a similar device.

K

AFAIK it doesn't need to deal with solids as Fils diet consists entirely of fizzy continental nonsense.

LOL

Phylis,

K

It performs very well. It is rigged so that it pumps to a holding tank or overboard and also has a pump to eject the contents of the tank where permitted overboard.

We try not to use it for solids, however as an emergency measure have on occasion had too and it manages well.

The one thing we did find was that the flush, which is rigged to use canal/river water, can create an unpleasant smell during the summer so we flush it through with fresh water only now.

Is this some kind of "spot the 10 differences" competition, or is there some subtle joke here I am missing ?

hee hee! my engineers brain does not seem to function so well in IT mode. btw what does IT stand for?.......

Yes they did thanks.

good stuff, again, i feared i may have been lacking somewhat in the dreaded IT department.

Ah, a nice Fairline 19. We looked at a couple when we were buying our first boat. I was impressed with the one with a 3.odd litre engine swinging a set of Volvo duo props.

Mind you it would fit in the tender garage of some of Fairline's more recent output.

some of the fairline 19/20's had some tasty motors driving an outdrive. this one is my brothers family 20. it only has a 9.9 fourstroke johnson though.

if you look on their website fairline link there is a good shot of a 19 beside a modern one click on the heritage link if it doesnt work here . to celebrate 40 years of boat building fairline restored a 19 only link i can find is here 

i have my eye on this one when little brother moves on to a bigger boat.

Ah yes, a quick burst of nostalgia! :lol: Our first boat was a Fairline 19. Rambled all over the place from Lymm to Sharpness in it for six years until we bought a giant Buckingham 25 with full standing headroom. :lol: Great little boat, though, even though we only had a Honda 7.5 hung over the back end. Happy Days!

Ah yes, a quick burst of nostalgia! :lol: Our first boat was a Fairline 19. Rambled all over the place from Lymm to Sharpness in it for six years until we bought a giant Buckingham 25 with full standing headroom. :lol: Great little boat, though, even though we only had a Honda 7.5 hung over the back end. Happy Days!

the grp boats are still providing affordable boating to many people. not needing remedial welding works seem to help :lol:

i was at hardley dyke and oulton broad at the weekend, thought it was about time i visted my dad and brother. the conversation turned to boats, as it normally does :lol: as far as they are aware, there are 5 narrowboats on the southern rivers and none on the northern rivers.

lots of fairlines, weston 670, buckingham 25, dawncraft, elysian, seamaster, birchwood, hampton safaris and lots more assorted broads boats, thats before you look at the rag and stick brigade!! the sports cruiser sector is alive and well too.

i had forgot how pleasant broadland can be, dont go up there enough really

edited to change do to go...

Edited by gazza