Derelict London & waterways

Teakbank12

Featured Posts

Came across this site, dont know if its been posted before but i found it interesting.

http://www.derelictlondon.com/id53.htm

Excellent.

It helps to explain (to those who don't get it) that even in the good times some places were derelict and abandoned, it also explains why Ken Livingstone told the London Olympic Team if they wanted his backing it was the lower lea valley, he felt it needed the Olympics more than Wembley did.

Excellent.

It helps to explain (to those who don't get it) that even in the good times some places were derelict and abandoned, it also explains why Ken Livingstone told the London Olympic Team if they wanted his backing it was the lower lea valley, he felt it needed the Olympics more than Wembley did.

Interesting picture of the Olympic park clearly showing the three waterways passing/going throuth the site.

119767262.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

I too wasted, whoope I mean spent an instructive half-hour going through the trains and tubes section (it made a nice break from compiling the liner notes for a Laurel Aitken CD). I remember using Aldwych station, with its select little three-car trains, and also passing through Highgate on the top deck of the bus when i lived in Muswell Hill, and being intrigued by the "ghost" B.R. station on top of the tube station. But a few of those former stations I had never even heard of. The web site is just as much a discovery as the old buildings themselves, thank you for drawing attention to it.

:lol::lol:

I too wasted, whoope I mean spent an instructive half-hour going through the trains and tubes section (it made a nice break from compiling the liner notes for a Laurel Aitken CD). I remember using Aldwych station, with its select little three-car trains, and also passing through Highgate on the top deck of the bus when i lived in Muswell Hill, and being intrigued by the "ghost" B.R. station on top of the tube station. But a few of those former stations I had never even heard of. The web site is just as much a discovery as the old buildings themselves, thank you for drawing attention to it.

Highgate High Level Station. More information here:

http://underground-history.co.uk/northernh2.php

Hopefully there should be some further interesting pages in this site to while a way a minute or so! :lol:

Stewey

:lol::lol:

Highgate High Level Station. More information here:

http://underground-history.co.uk/northernh2.php

Hopefully there should be some further interesting pages in this site to while a way a minute or so! :lol:

Stewey

Souds fascinating; once I have finished my learned commentary on the works of Mr. Aitken 1957-1960 I'll dip into it!

Souds fascinating; once I have finished my learned commentary on the works of Mr. Aitken 1957-1960 I'll dip into it!

Make sure you venture into the Kingsway underpass, and Down Street Station!

Here's my old patch Noel Park & Palace Gates.

And getting back to Riverside locations, do visit Crossness engine video just two and a half minutes, then log onto their website for an education in London's sanitation! Full of . . . surprises.

Derek

PS Just been looking at the home page, and public transport - this is worth a serious look into! Excellent stuff! And some of the comments - in the 'Green' outlook of building the Olympic 'village' 500 mature trees were/are being felled.

Edited by Derek R.

Ive spent most of today going through the whole site :lol: then i go googling looking for more, its addictive !!

And if you still have time to burn there is always the Subterranea Britannica site to take a look at:

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/

Ideal for a wet weekend! :lol:

Stewey

Ho hum. So much for getting any proper work done tonight - I keep getting dragged further and further into links. Soon I may become lost and never emerge from this labyrinth of hidden tunnels.....!

I saw the biggest 'ghost station' in London today. We went to a launch by TfL to celebrate the opening of the massive new ticket hall and escalators and its artwork at Kings Cross. I've never seen so many signs deep underground indicating the direction to the Regents Canal. It puts Warwick Avenue in the pale!

The Northern Heights branch would have been a fascinating system, but its remains are equally as fascinating. Just imagine had the branch to Ally Pally been given over to tube trains there would have been a spectacular prospect looking across most of London as the trains approached the terminus.Such a view would have been unrivalled elsewhere on the tube system.

Here and there you can spot remains of the work that was done for the readiness of the Northern Heights tube services, including posts for carrying the traction supply power cables. The walk from the palace along the old line to Finsbury Park is a must.

Another good old railway route is the Crystal Palace high level branch. Parts of it are walkable. Some years ago we walked through the longest tunnel without any torches! Definitely mad it was but we got through safely!

Those early pioneering books with garish covers, entitled 'Subterranean London' and available for a cheap 50p years ago, put the spotlight on many of London's secret tunnels and derelict tube stations. Now we have the internet with yet more fascinating stuff.

PS The new Kings cross station extension opens Sunday morning (28th Nov) at the start of services.

Edited by fender

Very good site - have to confess to being a bit geeky about this kind of stuff, can study it for hours and have a couple of books too on abandoned tube stations in London and abandoned overground rail stations in the uk, not sure why it fascinates but it most certainly does. :lol:

Very good site - have to confess to being a bit geeky about this kind of stuff, can study it for hours and have a couple of books too on abandoned tube stations in London and abandoned overground rail stations in the uk, not sure why it fascinates but it most certainly does. :lol:

I must admit to owning books with titles like 'Forgotten Railways Of.....[insert region]', and to having walked the abandoned section of the Cromford Canal (well, most of it, I ended up getting lost in a field) inter alia. It must be a syndrome that goes with liking boats. Don't tell me you appreciate blues, steam power and real ale too? If so, there really is no cure for this syndrome, and I speak from experience here.

I must admit to owning books with titles like 'Forgotten Railways Of.....[insert region]', and to having walked the abandoned section of the Cromford Canal (well, most of it, I ended up getting lost in a field) inter alia. It must be a syndrome that goes with liking boats. Don't tell me you appreciate blues, steam power and real ale too? If so, there really is no cure for this syndrome, and I speak from experience here.

I'll go with the last two, but blues :lol: my taste in music is way too wide to try and categorise...

But your right - it all fits together - only yesterday I was doing this-

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...mp;#entry452129

Sad?? possibly but had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Edit for typos

Edited by MJG

I'll go with the last two, but blues :lol: my taste in music is way too wide to try and categorise...

But your right - it all fits together - only yesterday I was doing this-

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...mp;#entry452129

Sad?? possibly but had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Edit for typos

Yes, I saw the pix; they surprised me as, knowing little about the Pocklington, I mistakenly thought that it had already been fully reopened.

Musically, me too (though it helps if it's black), but blues has long seemed to me to be ideal music to drink beer to!