Window Privacy

kendo

Featured Posts

When I bought Jade, the first thing I did was to chuck out the curtains and nets, I hate nets. I have made very nice new curtains now and also learnt why they had the nets! I now have mobile net curtains on bungies, they just hook on to the windows on the tow path side to stop people looking in when we are moored up. Then I take them down when not needed so we can appreciate the view.

I have also noticed that if you put something to actually look at in the window, nosey parkers will be drawn to that first and not look inside. Cabin lace seems to be good for that purpose.

What on earth has age got to do with it?????

Hi Juan. I think that's probably my fault. I joked that only people beyond

a certain age prefer net curtains. My grandmother loved them, and washed them

religiously. But I can't stand the things, myself.

@Tanis + Water Rat

Thankyou for the insights, and helpful suggestions.

Leaning towards the quickly deployed bungie solution,

which could be stowed easily when not needed. Cheers..

why isn't one way glass used on liveaboard boats?

it would be nice to see out and admire the scenery, but not to be gawped at.

is it because people would use the windows as mirrors? floss their teeth, pick their nose,

and all manner of grooming which would probably be more galling than somebody sneaking

a quick glance out of curiousity.

is it a "there is nothing to steal here" strategy? i guess the downfall of mirrored glass,

would be that a potential scrote might get curious about what valuables there could be

in your boat. even if you don't have any. is it better to let them see that your boat is a

bit scraggy inside. i suppose that it is. but i figured i would ask.

I understand that people pull down their blinds on the towpath side for a bit of privacy.

but as a depressive, i am not a big fan of curtains, or shutting out light if it is avoidable.

cheers..

We fitted a tinted plastic film to our windows which acts like mirrored glass. It is multi purpose as it not only stops people peeping in but cuts down on solar gain and does not effect the overall level of light in the boat.

Phil

Hi Juan. I think that's probably my fault. I joked that only people beyond

a certain age prefer net curtains. My grandmother loved them, and washed them

religiously. But I can't stand the things, myself.

@Tanis + Water Rat

Thankyou for the insights, and helpful suggestions.

Leaning towards the quickly deployed bungie solution,

which could be stowed easily when not needed. Cheers..

We have portholes and bungs, but the bungs only go in when we go to bed. If people have nothing better to do than look at me on the computer and her doing cross stitch, O not forgetting the dog sleeping or scratching its their problem.

I have to admit im not at all a fan of priv glass, net curtains, or that horid frosted glass.

- Needs must at times (ground floor loo on a busy street, etc) but in all honesty ive never a had a problem privacy even while in a marina for the weekend. Lifes just too short. Isnt that why your on a boat anyway!

Daniel

I don't really mind people looking in, well not usually. I keep my hatch open on the canal side as often as I can and am happy for other boaters to comment on what I am having for dinner etc, it is just being sociable. However, if I was in a house I would not be impressed if someone came and pressed their nose up against my dining room window. Maybe I am more relaxed living on a boat. I have heard strange comments that hve either made me cross or made me smile as people pass by. But generally I am fine with people looking in:)

Isnt that why your on a boat anyway!

not really

I'm living on a boat because i can't bear other people's bullshot.

Fully appreciate "life is too short" and am making the most of it.

grateful for the options, disadvantages and instructive comments

people have made here. mental illness isn't something i normally

laugh at, but as it's my own... feel free. I do.

regards to all.

:lol:

i have bp as well.

as for tinting/pimping the windows

if you use the tint film it helps keep heat in in the winter and cooler in the summer. if some scote breaks a window to try to get in the film will hold and keep them out.

you dont have to have dark limo tint or mirrored. my fav is the rain drops hollow gram. you cant see in but the windows look wet like its just rained. when you look out its like clear glass.