Heating water

Tomska

Featured Posts

OK, just about to tackle the plumbing for the boat and the plan was always to install a Morco or similar. Is there any reason why I shouldn't, apart from the fact that gas can go boom?

Or anything else that's a viable & reliable alternative?

Thanks,

Duncan.

There's no reason why anyone needs to choose between an instant gas water heater or a calorifier. By using a simple L-port valve between the two you can have both. Providing you have the space of course.

Edit: if you fit a calorifier and have shore power, be sure to install it so that its easy to fit an immersion heater later if you want one. Or just fit the immersion first before the calorifier is installed..

Edited by blackrose

OK, thanks. One supplementary question - is there any reason I shouldn't have the gas cooker and gas water heater in relatively close proximity (ie 3 feet or so from each other)? Obviously will get someone competent to fit it - just planning at the mo.

Thanks again.

blackrose - I have both but never use the gas because I don't have a clue where to look for the valve. Any hints for me please?

Try tracing pipes. If there's a charge-over valve it will have three connections: one connection to the top of the calorifier, on to the Morco and one to the taps. It quite possible that there won't be a change-over valve, just two ordinary ones, one in the pipe from the calorifier and one in the pipe from the Morco. To change you have to close one and open the other.

MP.

MoominPapa thank you. In your experience is this more likely to be near the calorifier or the gas water heater?

It's difficult to say, but if there are two separate valves, it's likely that you will find one very close to the heater and one very close to the calorifier. That's how ours is. Is the problem that you have too many valves to choose from and can't identify the right one(s), or that you can't find any valves at all?

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

MoominPapa thank you. In your experience is this more likely to be near the calorifier or the gas water heater?

Are you me?

It's taken us three years to get the Alde fixed and then figure out how it works. Yes that's three years without hot water (unlesss I ran the engine).

Are you me?

It's taken us three years to get the Alde fixed and then figure out how it works. Yes that's three years without hot water (unlesss I ran the engine).

By the sound of that it's quite possible I am you LOL! I have been about the same time in the same sitch. Luckily I shower at work on a daily basis but you don't want to come near me after a long weekend :lol:

It's difficult to say, but if there are two separate valves, it's likely that you will find one very close to the heater and one very close to the calorifier. That's how ours is. Is the problem that you have too many valves to choose from and can't identify the right one(s), or that you can't find any valves at all?

MP.

I'll take the 'can't find any at all' option. This is entirely down to me not really knowing where to look and what to look for. I've coped quite nicely without gas hot water but it might be nice to not have to boil a kettle to do the dishes at somepoint in the near future :lol:

blackrose - I have both but never use the gas because I don't have a clue where to look for the valve. Any hints for me please?

I fitted a single, lever operated L-port valve between the hot water out pipe from the calorifier and the hot water out pipe from the gas water heater. The third (middle) port on the valve is of course connected to the main hot water pipe leading to the taps and shower.

This seemed like the most sensible way to do it as it means you can only draw hot water from one system at a time. As others have said, the person who fitted yours may have installed isolation valves on the hot water out pipe from gas water heater and calorifier and then joined both pipes with a T.

There should also be water and gas isolators at the bottom of the instant water heater. Remember that even if you switch on the gas and light the pilot light, the instant gas water heater will not work until it has cold water going through it. That means you need to isolate any hot water coming from the calorifier so that cold water is drawn through the instant gas water heater. It sounds obvious and it is, but if you have separate valves it might be confusing until you work out which is which.

When you do it might be a good idea to label everything.

Edited by blackrose

I was thinking of installing a Morco in line with our calorifier without valves. Basically, the hot water out will go into the Morco. Therefore if the water is hot (due to cruising or having a fire) we won't light the Morco and the water will just pass straight through. If the water is cold (as it is most of the summer as we don't run the engine) then we'll light the Morco. Nice simple plumbing that way and no valves necessary. Also, there's no danger of putting hot water through the Morco as if the water is hot then we wouldn't light the pilot light (i.e. we only light the Morco's pilot light in order to have a hot shower and then turn it off afterwards).

Edited by tomandsophie

On Andante mine were under the sink.

I was thinking of installing a Morco in line with our calorifier without valves. Basically, the hot water out will go into the Morco. Therefore if the water is hot (due to cruising or having a fire) we won't light the Morco and the water will just pass straight through. If the water is cold (as it is most of the summer as we don't run the engine) then we'll light the Morco. Nice simple plumbing that way and no valves necessary. Also, there's no danger of putting hot water through the Morco as if the water is hot then we wouldn't light the pilot light (i.e. we only light the Morco's pilot light in order to have a hot shower and then turn it off afterwards).

But what if you did leave the pilot lit (that is after all what it's there for) - or a subsequent owner wanted to?

I always understood that you would then get dangerously superheated water. This at least was the reason given to me for always being sure to switch the supply (under the sink).

What about if the water in the calorifier is warm? I'm not sure there's any real advantage to that system. A single valve isn't that difficult to install or operate. In addition, I'm not sure about the having hot water running through the cold water inlet part of the Morco will do it any good? It's probably ok but you better check to see if there's a maximum water temperature for the supply.

Apart from the possibility that some have mentioned of ending up with dangerously hot water, don't forget that the flow rate through a Morco is highly restricted by it's design.

I'd be highly frustrated to only be able to draw off calorifier heated water at the maximum rate it can normally pass through a Morco.

This sounds a whole bad idea for a heap of reasons.

An L-port valve, and any extra fittings, will likely cost you less than £30, and is a very much better way of doing things, (but I would say that, having done it!).