Contents Insurance

Guest TowpathTownie

Featured Posts

Guest TowpathTownie

And yes, I've tried searching but all I get back are reams and reams of posts 'not' about insurance.

Any recommendations for boat and contents insurance?

I notice a lot I've been getting quotes for offer ridiculous contents cover. I'm not looking for a cheap policy but I am expecting cover for all my possessions and not just a fraction of them.

With regard to the cover for the actual narrowboat can I state a higher value other than which I bought the boat for... In 8 weeks time I will have spent a lot on a refit so would like that included in the value obviously. In other words, will I need an independant valuation once the work is complete?

I also notice that for any claims for contents they all want receipts. How do you fair if you've not kept receipts. After all, for any claim made on my household contents I've not had to provide receipts so have never kept them!

Hello,

We've had boat and contents insurance for our residential narrowboat from craftinsure.com for the last year, and just renewed it last week. I had to phone, rather than get a quote through the website, as it's not mentioned online, and they're nice, helpful people.

I spent some time last week gathering quotes from other companies for contents insurance, all of which were substantially higher than craftinsure's, hence staying with them for another year.

Haven't had to make a claim yet so can't tell you how good they are at that side of things, but I've had no problems (with my albeit limited experience of them) so far. :lol:

Hope it's helpful,

Becky

Guest TowpathTownie

Thanks Becks. Craftinsure is on my shortlist so I'll give them a tinkle tonight. Thank you for your helpful answer.. and you too deletedaccount (taking your 'advice caveat' into consideration lol - brilliant!) :lol:

Edited by TowpathTownie

The insurers will want to see a recent report and valuation. If you want to insure it for a higher value than that shown you will have to have it revalued. They are covering their own backs otherwise everyone would buy a scrapper for 10k, insure it for 20k and then lose it.

Guest TowpathTownie

I was recommended Towergate Mardon. They've done me a fully comprehensive policy covering the boat at the cost I bought it for plus the additional monies I will have spent in 8 weeks time (without proof) together with a decent coverage for contents including all my gadgets AND further cover for 'away from the boat'. Just like a household policy! Obviously more expensive than house cover but that's to be expected and I was happy with the premium. I'm all sorted! Thanks again everyone...

Edited by TowpathTownie

I was recommended Towergate Mardon. They've done me a fully comprehensive policy covering the boat at the cost I bought it for plus the additional monies I will have spent in 8 weeks time (without proof) together with a decent coverage for contents including all my gadgets AND further cover for 'away from the boat'. Just like a household policy! Obviously more expensive than house cover but that's to be expected and I was happy with the premium. I'm all sorted! Thanks again everyone...

I have just changed to them and saved a couple of hundred pounds

I have just changed to them and saved a couple of hundred pounds

Just out of interest what does a NB policy cost and what cover do they provide as standard. I was suprised when the OP said contents cover was not included. Looking through our policy contents are covered for an amount of upto 10k this was a standard item. Being a cruiser we dont have 10k worth of gadgets and gismos on board (nav gear is under a seperate condition)

Just out of interest what does a NB policy cost and what cover do they provide as standard. I was suprised when the OP said contents cover was not included. Looking through our policy contents are covered for an amount of upto 10k this was a standard item. Being a cruiser we dont have 10k worth of gadgets and gismos on board (nav gear is under a seperate condition)

NB policies vary from about £70 to £400

Many policies include limited contents cover, and 10% of the boat value for contents is typical. However if your contents are worth more than 10% of the value of the boat it can be tricky.

NB policies vary from about £70 to £400

Many policies include limited contents cover, and 10% of the boat value for contents is typical. However if your contents are worth more than 10% of the value of the boat it can be tricky.

Interesting. Had never really thought much about it. So our policy with a 25% contents cover is a little odd ball?

And yes, I've tried searching but all I get back are reams and reams of posts 'not' about insurance.

Any recommendations for boat and contents insurance?

I notice a lot I've been getting quotes for offer ridiculous contents cover. I'm not looking for a cheap policy but I am expecting cover for all my possessions and not just a fraction of them.

With regard to the cover for the actual narrowboat can I state a higher value other than which I bought the boat for... In 8 weeks time I will have spent a lot on a refit so would like that included in the value obviously. In other words, will I need an independant valuation once the work is complete?

I also notice that for any claims for contents they all want receipts. How do you fair if you've not kept receipts. After all, for any claim made on my household contents I've not had to provide receipts so have never kept them!

We use Haven Knox-Johnson (based in UK) as they give us cover for the boat and contents, and were very helpful. Mind you, we live in Ireland and did not have too many choices for companies that would cover us. Maybe worth a try for you though...

We've gone with Towergate Mardon (via Michael Stimpson) as well. I have a house insurance policy which includes the personal possessions away from home and that covers laptops, jewels (like we have any!), gizmos etc. wherever they are. But it doesn't cover the nb's removable items .... personal possessions left on the nb when we're not there. So we have contents cover added to the nb Towergate Mardon insurance policy.

In reading all the paperwork carefully in advance, the 'key facts' document from TM states: "You are not insured for the person in charge of the craft will be over the age of 18 years of age ....". It's a misprint, of course, but it reads as though anyone over the age of 18 is not insured! Michael Stimpson is getting the leaflet corrected and says noone else has noticed it despite years of sending out the leaflet. So I guess all the other TM insured boaters haven't read their documentation properly, hmmmmm??? :lol:

We've gone with Towergate Mardon (via Michael Stimpson) as well. I have a house insurance policy which includes the personal possessions away from home and that covers laptops, jewels (like we have any!), gizmos etc. wherever they are. But it doesn't cover the nb's removable items .... personal possessions left on the nb when we're not there. So we have contents cover added to the nb Towergate Mardon insurance policy.

In reading all the paperwork carefully in advance, the 'key facts' document from TM states: "You are not insured for the person in charge of the craft will be over the age of 18 years of age ....". It's a misprint, of course, but it reads as though anyone over the age of 18 is not insured! Michael Stimpson is getting the leaflet corrected and says noone else has noticed it despite years of sending out the leaflet. So I guess all the other TM insured boaters haven't read their documentation properly, hmmmmm??? :lol:

We've happily insured with Michael for decades. However we did actually read it this year when it appeared to have changed and noticed a number of contradictions between the policy document and the schedule which we insisted on getting clarified before renewing.

Tim