Coventry Basin

Billypownall

Featured Posts

My family were molested late on Saturday night by drunken youths while moored with six other boats in Coventry Basin.They climbed onto the boat trying to get in. We have had no trouble there in the past and if this is a new trend it needs stamping out straightaway. If this is not done the already under used basin will quickly become empty. This would be a real shame as it is an excellent mooring, unusually quiet for a city centre, and with plenty to see and do nearby. I hope someone in authority can sort things out otherwise we will have to cross Coventry off our list.That would be a shame.

My family were molested late on Saturday night by drunken youths while moored with six other boats in Coventry Basin.They climbed onto the boat trying to get in. We have had no trouble there in the past and if this is a new trend it needs stamping out straightaway. If this is not done the already under used basin will quickly become empty. This would be a real shame as it is an excellent mooring, unusually quiet for a city centre, and with plenty to see and do nearby. I hope someone in authority can sort things out otherwise we will have to cross Coventry off our list.That would be a shame.

I have moored their twice and had no issues. I thought they had CCTV in the basin but may be mistaken. It's a great shame and I hope the experience wasn't too bad and no one was hurt. As you say it will be a shame if this becomes a problem area as it really is the only place to moor on the last bit of the Coventry and is great for visiting the city.

I hope you reported the incident otherwise the authorities may not know they have a problem to solve.

Edited by churchward

I'd echo Churchward's thoughts.

I hope OP has informed Police and BW of the incident.

More important, in my view that such things get formally reported, than the actual passing on of the knowledge here.

I know you can end up feeling "why did I bother", but if the "authorities" can claim very few reports in an area, they can largly ignore the issue.

If everyone who has trouble makes a nuisance of themselves, it's harder for them to do.

I like the basin, and would hate to see people scared off doing the arm, or overnight mooring, because of a few prats.

I've moored in Coventry basin three times over the years, the last time was two years ago. The second time we were there a similar thing happened. It just so happened we were an all male party as the two ladies had gone back to work on the wednesday.

The drunken youth (no doubt after two pints of cider) climbed on the boat around 2am. When 1,2,3,4,5,6, and the 7th male emerged from the boat looking grumpy he beat a hasty retreat.

Not a pleasant occurence I am sure if you are a family group. Its difficult to know how to stamp this out. You can turn the basin into a barbed wire enclave I guess, or employ a security guard (they can sometimes attract trouble merely by being there) The chances of trouble happening in a city are higher, and this sort of thing could happen in any city centre I guess. No doubt the plod were busy in the city centre dealing with fights etc.

I once worked as a manager in the lesuire industry in a city. One example of a Friday night would be an occasion when a customer was badly verbally abused by a group of youths, who I threw out and advised the Security staff who patrolled the complex. This was at 11.30pm.

The customer demanded I called the police, which I knew would be of little value, but I called them anyway. They asked if anyone had been hurt/anything been stolen or damaged. No, was the answer. The control centre advised me that we were 25th in the lists of priorities. To be fair, they did actually turn up at around 1am when we were on our way home. They had clearly had a difficult night in town.

In my experience if its chucking it down with rain they are more likely to head for the nearest kebab house. Ever seen a riot on TV in the pouring rain?

Not much help for your experience I know. As has been said Coventry basin is quiet and in the great scheme of things I doubt the security of overnight moorers figures any higher than anyone else in the city.

Certainly it should be reported to BW (and the hire company if applicable). If its nots reported - it doesnt exist!

Edited by waspexile

When we moored in Coventry Basin, we did not have any problem from drunks, although there were a few sitting in the small garden near the bridge all night. However, we daid have consistent problems all afternoon and well into the evening with a group of teenage boys who were clambering all over every ones boat. I managed to persuade all but one of them that it wasn't a good idea, but the one individual, who I am convinced had insufficient inteligence to understand what I was saying, continued to act like an idiot all day, with his mates just watching and sniggering.

When we mentioned the previous day's problems to a security man touring the basin the following morning, he informed us the the CCTV cameras are only linked to the local 9am to 5pm security office, and are not linked to the Police control desk, so no one can see what is happening on them during the evenings, So a bit like burgler alarm box without any contents!!!!

It would be a shame to write off every city/town centre mooring just on the off chance that a drunken youth might appear.

Some of the best moorings we have found have been in town and city centres. There is something quite nice about "rolling" into a town centre, finding free parking and bringing your own accomodation with you. Yes there is an increased risk of disturbance when compared to country or in the sticks moorings, you just have to accept that is case.

When we moored in Coventry Basin, we did not have any problem from drunks, although there were a few sitting in the small garden near the bridge all night. However, we daid have consistent problems all afternoon and well into the evening with a group of teenage boys who were clambering all over every ones boat. I managed to persuade all but one of them that it wasn't a good idea, but the one individual, who I am convinced had insufficient inteligence to understand what I was saying, continued to act like an idiot all day, with his mates just watching and sniggering.

When we mentioned the previous day's problems to a security man touring the basin the following morning, he informed us the the CCTV cameras are only linked to the local 9am to 5pm security office, and are not linked to the Police control desk, so no one can see what is happening on them during the evenings, So a bit like burgler alarm box without any contents!!!!

Ah not so good then. I thought I recalled seeing CCTV but obviously they are not being used as effective as they could be. We too have seen some young folk hanging around the end where the bridge entrance is but thus far have never had an issue with any of them. The males seemed more interested in the females that were with them if you catch my drift. :lol:

It would be a shame to write off every city/town centre mooring just on the off chance that a drunken youth might appear.

Some of the best moorings we have found have been in town and city centres. There is something quite nice about "rolling" into a town centre, finding free parking and bringing your own accomodation with you. Yes there is an increased risk of disturbance when compared to country or in the sticks moorings, you just have to accept that is case.

Ever been to Coventry basin Phylis? It is fairly unpoulated place during the day, with almost all the shops and commercial units empty, but at night, it can become a decidedly unfriendly place if you are there on your own, there were several boats moored when we stayed, but they were all unoccupied.

I actusally like industrial towns along the canal but I would not go there again, the fight through rubbish soup for three miles was not worth it. Pity really because Coventry itself was really interesting.

I agree and the Coventry arm is a good example of what you say normally. You are in the heart of the City and can walk to the main centre. I think if the basin became a place not to moor it would pretty much signal the end of the arm with regard to boat traffic. There are no desirable places to moor otherwise between Hawkesbury and the Basin so people would just stop using the arm. Few do anyway although I think they are missing out if they don't.

I agree!

Its the risk thats increased, not that it WILL happen. We've been unhitched and set adrift two miles from the nearest town (drunk on a bike) and had stones thrown from the top of a tunnel. But as a hirer I can say we have had four "dodgy" incidents in about fifteen holidays. I reckon thats better than most other types of holiday.

Ever been to Coventry basin Phylis? It is fairly unpoulated place during the day, with almost all the shops and commercial units empty, but at night, it can become a decidedly unfriendly place if you are there on your own, there were several boats moored when we stayed, but they were all unoccupied.

I actusally like industrial towns along the canal but I would not go there again, the fight through rubbish soup for three miles was not worth it. Pity really because Coventry itself was really interesting.

I agree that the shops and facilities around the basin haven't worked out like the council hoped it is just too disconnected from the main shopping centre to attract non-boating footfall.

I think you paint an over black picture of the arm though. I have never had to fight my way down the arm through rubbish. There is rubbish of course and the last section of the arm is not very attractive I grant you but If you want to visit the City (the motor museum is great!) it's a great way to do so.

In the last year we have had no dodgy incidents from youths or otherwise on any mooring we have used. We had inquisitive youths when we pulled into Selby but a few questions later they got bored and buggered off. We have moored in some places, mainly town or city centres, that many boaters have warned are bad but have yet to have trouble. The one most people seem to dislike is Newark Town Centre, opposite the castle outside the park. We have spent 4 or 5 trouble free days here this year with no incling of trouble. Everybody likes a different mooring i suppose.

Ever been to Coventry basin Phylis?

No.

I think, compared to when I lived there, in the 80s, Coventry has improved immeasurably.

The city centre has been revitalised, pretty much shedding it's 1960s concrete gloominess and it is a much safer place to wander round, at night, now.

When you went into town, in the 80s, on a weekend, you went to one pub, stayed there all night and got a taxi from the pub door to the night club door.

I think, compared to when I lived there, in the 80s, Coventry has improved immeasurably.

The city centre has been revitalised, pretty much shedding it's 1960s concrete gloominess and it is a much safer place to wander round, at night, now.

When you went into town, in the 80s, on a weekend, you went to one pub, stayed there all night and got a taxi from the pub door to the night club door.

No longer a Ghost Town, not so much fighting on the dance floor?

Richard

I agree that the shops and facilities around the basin haven't worked out like the council hoped it is just too disconnected from the main shopping centre to attract non-boating footfall.

I think you paint an over black picture of the arm though. I have never had to fight my way down the arm through rubbish. There is rubbish of course and the last section of the arm is not very attractive I grant you but If you want to visit the City (the motor museum is great!) it's a great way to do so.

Well maybe we were unlucky, but there was so much rubbish and green weed at the Coventry end that it stopped the boat completely, and we had to put an enormous amount of power on to get through the entrance bridge.

We did find out that the "Warden" who is normally based in the office in the basin had been on holiday for a week, so no clearing had been done for about ten days, but for that much rubbish to accumulate in ten days, does not say very much for those people who live alongside the Canal.

On our way out we actually counted more than ten Sofas and Armchairs half floating in the water between Coventry and Hawkesbury not to mention the hundreds of coconuts.

Three years ago we travelled through Stoke on Trent and passed through mile after mile of industrialized and developement areas, but the water was clean, and virtually rubbish free. if some cities can do it, why can't others?

Edited by David Schweizer

Well maybe we were unlucky, but there was so much rubbish and green weed at the Coventry end that it stopped the boat completely, and we had to put an enormous amount of power on to get through the entrance bridge.

We did find out that the "Warden" who is normally based in the office in the basin had been on holiday for a week, so no clearing had been done for about ten days, but for that much rubbish to accumulate in ten days, does not say very much for those people who live alongside the Canal.

On our way out we actually counted more than ten Sofas and Armchairs half floating in the water between Coventry and Hawkesbury not to mention the hundreds of coconuts.

Three years ago we travelled through Stoke on Trent and passed through mile after mile of industrialized and developement areas, but the water was clean, and virtually rubbish free. if some cities can do it, why can't others?

Yup that does sound bad I have not seen that level of rubbish but there has indeed been some.

I do agree that compared to other city/town places it is not the best. I was pleasantly surprised with the T&M through Burton on Trent which I thought was pretty good.

Just coconuts :lol:

Yup! :lol: