Consumables

tillergirl

Featured Posts

You've not seen the inside of our tank... :lol:

Mind you, nor have we, and there lies the problem!

PC

Bottled water on the whole is just safer (you would hope) then many years of scum in the water tanks. We just dont like the idea of drinking water from the tank. We will boil it for coffee though.

I guess it partly depends on your definition of "proper"!

This old girl is on Apolloduck at the minute

Workboat

I've seen odd ones on the Warwickshire Fly Boat Company site though they've usually been "historic" which probably means there are going to be bigger calls on your takings to keep them going!

I'm keeping an eye out myself but any pointers would be welcome!

Andy

Now that would be a very interesting boat to start with. I wonder what the accomodation is like? The hold would be a perfect place for water and waste tanks etc, and the front looks like it may be a good place to keep something like the freezer...

You're likely to have as many, if not more maintenance issues with an ex BW floating skip, as a well kept 'historic' ex-working boat.

A 'floating skip'....? well, I supose. But on the other hand, I don't expect that you will find a 'historic ex-working boat', for that kind of money. :lol:

Having spend so many years driving, and 'living' (at least during the week) in what amounts to a large filing cabinet, parked in lay-by's with other HGV's driving past at 56mph, I'm not fussy what the thing looks like.... as long as the doors lock, and the bed is fairly comfortable, I'm happy. :lol: Same will go for a boat, if it does the job, reliably, I'm not to worried about the outward appearance.

Now that would be a very interesting boat to start with. I wonder what the accomodation is like? The hold would be a perfect place for water and waste tanks etc, and the front looks like it may be a good place to keep something like the freezer...

That's the kind of boat that the chap uses in the centre of Birmingham to do diesel and pump-outs. Away2serve or something like that

Richard

You're likely to have as many, if not more maintenance issues with an ex BW floating skip, as a well kept 'historic' ex-working boat.

Do you really think so Carl? That's a genuine question by the way - not a challenge! I know you know a great deal more about these things than I do!

The boat I've been looking at was something BW picked up from elsewhere by all accounts, and though not quite armour plated, it has something like a 16mm bottom on it. It doesn't leak and the metalwork all looks reasonably clean, and the engine has low hours on it, if the counter is to be believed. There's not a great deal else on it apart from a bilge pump and a toilet, so I'd be interested to learn what the maintenance issues would be likely to be.

My main concern would be the carrying capacity I think. Is there any way of working this out without loading the boat up and taking measurements - would I need to calculate the volume of the hull in the water when empty and go from there?

Andy

A 'floating skip'....? well, I supose. But on the other hand, I don't expect that you will find a 'historic ex-working boat', for that kind of money. :lol:

if it does the job, reliably, I'm not to worried about the outward appearance.

The "accomodation" such as it is - would hardly be luxurious, but if this one is anything like the ones we have up here, it will probably have an Epping stove in it and a couple of bench seats. The toilet is usually accessed from the hold, rather than the cabin so best "go" before you turn in at night! Are you planning on living aboard whilst working?

As far as appearance goes, I will admit to being rather fond of these boats. I know they're not pretty and don't have fine lines etc, but there's definitely "something" about them that appeals. I always feel a bit sorry for many of them which seem to get very neglected. In the days of lengthsmen when the guys all had "their own" boat, painting was an annual job on all the boats, so they were much better looked after. These days the boats are just another tool, and can be used by any number of people, so they don't get anything like the same level of care and attention.

Andy

Do you really think so Carl? That's a genuine question by the way - not a challenge! I know you know a great deal more about these things than I do!

The boat I've been looking at was something BW picked up from elsewhere by all accounts,

Most of the BW built ones are total rubbish and should have been weighed in years ago.

If it was built elsewhere it may be worth a look.

The one in the Apollo Duck ad says:

Built by BW when they knew a bit about canals and boats (!).

I'm unsure which period of history this was but it can't have been long enough to build a whole boat. :lol:

Most of the BW built ones are total rubbish and should have been weighed in years ago.

If it was built elsewhere it may be worth a look.

I hear what you're saying but can you expand a bit please? Most of our boats up here like the Apolloduck one were built in the mid seventies, and have been in regular use ever since. Could you explain a bit on what the problems are likely to be - things I (and possibly our friend down on the K&A) should be looking for?

I know they don't handle anything like a traditional boat for starters, but are there basic faults with them apart from that?

Andy

The "accomodation" such as it is - would hardly be luxurious, but if this one is anything like the ones we have up here, it will probably have an Epping stove in it and a couple of bench seats. The toilet is usually accessed from the hold, rather than the cabin so best "go" before you turn in at night! Are you planning on living aboard whilst working?

As far as appearance goes, I will admit to being rather fond of these boats. I know they're not pretty and don't have fine lines etc, but there's definitely "something" about them that appeals. I always feel a bit sorry for many of them which seem to get very neglected. In the days of lengthsmen when the guys all had "their own" boat, painting was an annual job on all the boats, so they were much better looked after. These days the boats are just another tool, and can be used by any number of people, so they don't get anything like the same level of care and attention.

Andy

Yes, I do plan on living on the boat during the time I'm out, how much that is remains to be seen. As long as I can create a space in which I can sit, cook, eat and sleep, I'm happy. If this works out, I will be spending my days out on the deck at any rate, so I don't need a very large area for living space. And on the plus side, a smaller space is easier to keep clean, and to heat... :lol: Who wants to be indoors anyways?

I rather like the look of these 'skips' to be honest. I don't have a, rose tinted or otherwise, pre conceived idea of a working boat, and these boats do look like they will do the job with ease. The fact that a tank can be placed in the middle should make weight distribution much easier, especially when you consider that the weight gradually changes when the waste tank fills, and the fresh tank empties. The flat deck should also make live much easier when you are lugging pipes about, to connect to the other boat. In fact, if I was in the market for this right now, I would consider this boat.

So Carl, if a boat like this was owned by a caring operator, rather than a 'employee', and looked after with due care, what are the specific problems that one should look out for?

Got a few pictures for you Luctor et emergo (do you have a shorter name like "Bill" or something?!)

Only off my phone but will give you an idea of the space.

Pic-0015.jpg

Pic-0033.jpg

Pic-0032.jpg

Pic-0035.jpg

Can you come back to this thread Carl and enlighten us a bit regarding problems etc mate?

Cheers,

Andy

Got a few pictures for you Luctor et emergo (do you have a shorter name like "Bill" or something?!)

Bill is fine by me Andy. It's short for William after all.

Can you come back to this thread Carl and enlighten us a bit regarding problems etc mate?

I would appreciate that too

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks Andy, that is a great help. Looks like a good starting point for a conversion, bed/seat on one side, cooker/cupboard on the other, and a stove in the middle. I take it that the toilet is behind the stove?

As a matter of fact, that looks like a mine range.. that woud save on the need to install a cooker, or even the need for a gas system altogether...

"Bill"

Edited by luctor et emergo

Hi Bill,

The toilet is technically behind the stove, but there's no access from inside the cabin - you get in via a door accessed from the hold.

The Epping is a mini range - with a very small "oven" and a hot plate - but no idea of the practicality for cooking anything. They do a good job of keeping the interior warm though!

Any more pics/details you want just shout up!

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Bill,

The toilet is technically behind the stove, but there's no access from inside the cabin - you get in via a door accessed from the hold.

The Epping is a mini range - with a very small "oven" and a hot plate - but no idea of the practicality for cooking anything. They do a good job of keeping the interior warm though!

Any more pics/details you want just shout up!

Cheers,

Andy

Access to the head would be sorted during a re-fit. I presume that it will get a complete new 'suite' anyway. I would like to install a shower if possible.

Cooking on that seems no problem, it is large enough for a frying pan (breakfast.. :lol: ) and a kettle, and dinner can bubble away in a large pot during the day. One Camion Stew coming up...

Forgot to mention before - my mate in the pics there is about 5'9" ish - and he could lie down quite comfortably in the cabin. The toilets in most of them are actually quite decent marine type affairs with an electric flush into a holding tank.

Might get a few more pics tomorrow with a little luck.

Cheers,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
The bloke who sells ice cream off his boat at dundas does alright.

We have a floating ice cream boat on the upper Bure 17ft launch and boy does he nip around also years ago in the 30s there was a floating grocers boat, my mate has a photo of his aunt buying stuff from the boat. The grocers boat is now in "The Museum of The Broads" at Stalham