FMC Tasmania

sociable_hermit

Featured Posts

In amongst the clone boats for sale at the Marina is an attractive looking trad with a large cratch.

Curiosity got the better of me in the end, so I went and read the blurb in the sales office. Turns out the boat is "Tasmania".

From the description it would appear that only the bows are original, although the Lister + Blackstone combination is also very "old school".

I know it's a much modified boat but it still seems to me like a lot of boat for the money, and with buckets of character. My biggest concern is the interior, which I haven't seen, as the blurb suggests it's rather basic and in need of tlc.

So, does anyone know anything about the recent history of this boat? And what do you think of it?

http://www.merciabrokerage.co.uk/stock_det....asp?bro_no=436

From the description it would appear that only the bows are original, although the Lister + Blackstone combination is also very "old school".

The FR2 is the same engine (and, I think, gearbox) that I have in Melaleuca. They are pretty uncommon and spares are not easy to get (though they are possible, if you know where to look.) If you get serious about the boat, and want details of what to look out for on the engine, let me know.

MP.

In amongst the clone boats for sale at the Marina is an attractive looking trad with a large cratch.

Curiosity got the better of me in the end, so I went and read the blurb in the sales office. Turns out the boat is "Tasmania".

I know it's a much modified boat but it still seems to me like a lot of boat for the money, and with buckets of character. My biggest concern is the interior, which I haven't seen, as the blurb suggests it's rather basic and in need of tlc.

So, does anyone know anything about the recent history of this boat? And what do you think of it?

A couple of years ago I spoke briefly to the (then) owner while he was moored on the T&M near Barton Turns.

He was working locally and living aboard at the time along with his partner, a BIG dog and a very nice tabby cat. At the time he was polishing brass and the boat appeared well cared for.

I'm sorry I'm not being very specific but it's a small piece for your jig-saw.

Hi ya,

Few years ago it was moored at Wootton (SoA) and I knew the previous owner (prior to couple with HUGE dog). I know it was in excellent condition then and was repainted to what appears to be the current colour scheme.

I always thought it looked great and when the then owner came to sell it was tempted myself. Engine sounded wonderful and it handled superbly, “turning on a sixpence”, but that may have been the man at the tiller!

Never did see inside but believe that it was a slightly unusual layout. Basic but very functional and well kept (the owner was a wiz with engines). What it is like now, couldn’t say.

When it the then owner sold it, it was through Apollo Duck and, I’m sure it was for less than the current asking price.

Cheers

Steve

More photos and more details Here :lol:

I do think that some of these Historic boats stretch creditability a long way. This boat is FMC Tasmania. Well, some of the bow is anyway :lol:

Richard

I do think that some of these Historic boats stretch creditability a long way. This boat is FMC Tasmania. Well, some of the bow is anyway :lol:

Richard

To be fair, it doesn't look as if they are trying to sell it as a historic boat - rather a boat with character and a 'bit of history' which sounds fair enough to me.

PS And it does look rather nice.

Edited by WarriorWoman

To be fair, it doesn't look as if they are trying to sell it as a historic boat - rather a boat with character and a 'bit of history' which sounds fair enough to me.

PS And it does look rather nice.

PPS and it does look to be very good value!

Richard

Richard

I agree in some descriptions of boats you would think they are near totally original but in this case I think they are being pretty straight forward and honest with the claims of being an old boat for example the text in the advert says this

"......Although the bow section is original the majority of the boat is circa 1998...."

That doesn't seem to be stretching credibility too much in my view. From what I have seen I would say there is a good chance that the boat is fairly priced too or at least a good starting point for negotiations.

PPS and it does look to be very good value!

Richard

Yup and if you want a boat with a real Josher bow then this is close you could get for the money I expect.

Mind you it doesn't look much like a Hudson fore end though does it? :lol:

.....Oh dear, I'll get me coat :lol:

Edited by churchward

Yup and if you want a boat with a real Josher bow then this is close you could get for the money I expect.

Mind you it doesn't look much like a Hudson fore end though does it? :lol:

.....Oh dear, I'll get me coat :lol:

Looks a lot like Cobbett's though!

(I'll get mine too :lol: )

• 10 months later...
Thanks for flagging that up so quickly!

I'm away at the moment but will have a look in the office when I get back.

There are many reasons why my existing boat is more suitable for my needs, but I'm still interested.

We were looking at a boat the other week at the brokerage there. Chap said that a boat called Tasmania was bought by his friend as it failed surver last year. It needed a lot of hull work doing to it which it has now had done. The chap just wanted something to do and is now selling it. He spends a lot of time doing up old working boats so that might explain the quick turn around.