Hello, new to the forum and i have a question.....

Eddie

Featured Posts

I'm new to the forum so i'd just like to say hi and start my first post with a question (sorry if this is in the wrond part)......

i'm looking into renting a barge(in the Norfolk Broads), along with a few friends, the only problem is that we're all 16 and we want to rent a barge for next july(meaning we'd all be under 18 :lol: ). We're not looking for a snazzy luxurious boat, just one which floats lol. Is this possible for under 16??

any info welcomed!

Ed

We're not looking for a snazzy luxurious boat, just one which floats lol. Is this possible for under 16??

31622[/snapback]

I suppose if it didn't float, it'd be classed as a submarine!

Seriously, not sure about the age requirement when hiring, someone else might be able to help?

Try and make contact with some hire bases, such as Alvechurch, Black Prince, etc. They should be able to help.

If you want to stick to the broads, find out which hire companies operate and just put the question to them. It can only be a yes or a no. I suppose there's a way around it. You could ask someone which is older than 18 along, and have them act as your guardian or whatever.

Eddie Welcome to the forum

I doubt whether it will be possible to hire anything, let alone a boat for a group of sixteen year olds. You are all upright standing citizens no doubt but that is not the way hire companies will see it, you need 'a responsible adult' to be in charge and that would mean over 18.

Even a group of 18 year olds would probably have to be mixed. :lol:

I doubt whether it will be possible to hire anything, let alone a boat for a group of sixteen year olds. You are all upright standing citizens no doubt but that is not the way hire companies will see it, you need 'a responsible adult' to be in charge and that would mean over 18.

Even a group of 18 year olds would probably have to be mixed.  :lol:

31624[/snapback]

If I remember correctly the main hirer of the vessel must be 21 years or older

Edited by steveh

31624[/snapback]

Yeah i fully see where your coming from. I'm still trying to find a company who will :D :D

we want to celebrate the end of our GCSE exams and we thought renting a barge would be good idea, so if any one has any links (the boat can be really tatty we really don't mind) etc it would be much appreciated

edit: are there any different laws in other countries, with regards to age of the hirerer?

Ed

Edited by Eddie

Always use to be 21 years old and no all mail or female groups.

I stood for 2 hrs  for a day boat only to be turned away when i got to the front of the queue, at 19 years old

31629[/snapback]

Just checked Black Prince, Alverchurch and Viking Afloat 3 of the larger NB's hiring companies they all say 21 minimum.

You might find that it is slightly different for the broads as most of the boats are plastic and bouce well! :lol: where as NB's don't

Have you tried blakes holidays?

I think its great that you want to hire a boat at the end of your GCSEs (im 18)

- And would understand if you didnt want to take your (pa)rents with you!

Do you or any of your friends have an uncal, older brother, who could hire the boat for you?

- Or take liam!

Daniel

yeah we do have brothers that could take us but, no one really wants to take their bros, nor do our bros want to shell out 200 odd quid

Well, i know what you mean, but you might have to, if you cant find anyone else.

- Why would your bro have to pay £200, thats your job!

Daniel

Nah they'd probably get round the corner from the hire base and then make me walk the plank... sailing off into the sunset laughing.

The only thing I suggest you do, is save the celebrations until you're 21... :lol:

31624[/snapback]

It's not always such a bad thing that they insist on mixed crews. There was this girl we always took along as the "token female" - after a few trips we had to change the cabin arrangements because she and I got married, and 29 years later we're still married (and she STILL can't ever remember which top paddle to open first!)

We can't wait 5 years  :lol: we are prepared to pay under the table!

Ed

31652[/snapback]

I doubt if that would be acceptable, for one thing you wouldn't be covered by insurance and it would also be illegal.

Edited by Bernie

Willow Wren will hire to 18 year olds - or at least they did to the Year 13s that I toook when they were in Year 12. They loved it so much that they booked again on the spot, and WW said because they had been through the school with no deaths etc, then they could book at 18.

Not sure if they would have been able to if a bunch of 18 year olds they didn't know just turned up...

:lol:

Anglowelsh are the only hire company with boats large enough for our requirements that would accept single sex 18 year old groups that I could find. Since turning 18 in September 04' I have been out for two week long holidays with them and will be doing another couple of 1 week holidays next year. I would thoroughly recommend both Anglowelsh and their very high quality boats, but alas this does not help the OP and so it looks like patience is the key :lol:

Willow Wren will hire to 18 year olds - or at least they did to the Year 13s that I took when they were in Year 12.

- Not sure if they would have been able to if a bunch of 18 year olds they didn't know just turned up...

Well its good that they let them, and also good that there are 18yo's that want to hire narrowboats, and behave sensably.

- The more that there are like that, the more hireconpanys will be happy to hire to the younger generation, and the most younger people on the canal, which is good in my opinon.

Anglowelsh are the only hire company with boats large enough for our requirements that would accept single sex 18 year old groups that I could find. Since turning 18 in September 04' I have been out for two week long holidays with them and will be doing another couple of 1 week holidays next year. I would thoroughly recommend both Anglowelsh and their very high quality boats.

Well, atleast theres some. Assuming it works out ok for them, others may well follow in the long term. Maybe?

It such a shame when people get all uptight about letting younger people like us do things, i just doesnt help. Espcially when its an insurence/health&safty issue.

Daniel