Dongle

nb Innisfree

Featured Posts

At the moment to get a usable signal I am having to place my 3 dongle on the other side of the boat which entails draping the cable over the aisle. Is there such a thing as a battery powered thingy that the dongle will plug into and then re-transmit (via wi-fi or bluetooth?) to my laptop?

At the moment to get a usable signal I am having to place my 3 dongle on the other side of the boat which entails draping the cable over the aisle. Is there such a thing as a battery powered thingy that the dongle will plug into and then re-transmit (via wi-fi or bluetooth?) to my laptop?

Panorama antennas.com

So that I can google it what would such a device be called?

3g broadband router would be a good start, to be honest the best solution would be to go down the external aerial route. The newer dongles have a connection for aerials, it's worth replacing the dongle for one of these if yours doesn't. Even if you want wifi (multiple devices / wireless, etc) it's worth going down the aerial route as well.

Edit to say this is battery dongle thingy I found http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/content/...mp;NewsAreaID=2

Edited by Robbo

3g broadband router would be a good start, to be honest the best solution would be to go down the external aerial route. The newer dongles have a connection for aerials, it's worth replacing the dongle for one of these if yours doesn't. Even if you want wifi (multiple devices / wireless, etc) it's worth going down the aerial route as well.

Edit to say this is battery dongle thingy I found http://www.threemediacentre.co.uk/content/...mp;NewsAreaID=2

Thanks.

Will have to wait to see what xmas brings :lol:

Hi we use a boaters phone co booster, this can be a magnetic mount unit through a window or roof vent. www.boatersphone.com

Just found this on a `3` forum

Re: Help with poor 3 USB dongle connection

Before anyone reads this thread I would like to make it perfectly clear that other than purchasing the USB cable that is the only connection I have with the supplier.

I needed an extension USB cable for my 3 mobile broadband dongle. This would help in my connection to 3 mobile broadband.

Did a search and started with Currys. For a 2 metre USB2 extension they quoted £24.99.

Upon further surfing came across http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/ was a bit suprised that they quoted approx 92p for the same bit of equipment.

Yesterday at 13.00 hours ordered 2 metre extension from cable universe and paid including postage about £3 (0.92p for cable). Today at 9.30 a.m. the postman arrived with my order. Less than 24 hours.

Excellent service.

I can wholeheartedly recommend http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/

Its always worth a look at their site.

I use a rubber sucker (4 for 99p at Morrisons) high up on the window. Use one of those wire ties that come wrapped around wiring when you buy a new pience of electrical equpment, threaded through the end of the dongle. I have found it increased the number of bars by one or two. Works great when there is an actual Network available.

£40 on evilbay :lol:

Its quiet easy to find a 5m usb extn cable for under a fiver in town or online.

This is the max length usable, but adequate to wrap in a plastic bag & hang from tv aerial/broom handle/tree or whatever :lol:

Just found this on a `3` forum

Re: Help with poor 3 USB dongle connection

Before anyone reads this thread I would like to make it perfectly clear that other than purchasing the USB cable that is the only connection I have with the supplier.

I needed an extension USB cable for my 3 mobile broadband dongle. This would help in my connection to 3 mobile broadband.

Did a search and started with Currys. For a 2 metre USB2 extension they quoted £24.99.

Upon further surfing came across http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/ was a bit suprised that they quoted approx 92p for the same bit of equipment.

Yesterday at 13.00 hours ordered 2 metre extension from cable universe and paid including postage about £3 (0.92p for cable). Today at 9.30 a.m. the postman arrived with my order. Less than 24 hours.

Excellent service.

I can wholeheartedly recommend http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/

Its always worth a look at their site.

I use a rubber sucker (4 for 99p at Morrisons) high up on the window. Use one of those wire ties that come wrapped around wiring when you buy a new pience of electrical equpment, threaded through the end of the dongle. I have found it increased the number of bars by one or two. Works great when there is an actual Network available.

WOW!

What a snip. I have just paid £7.99 for 1.5 metre at Maplins but it has "gold plated connections" and "fully shielded cable for error free transmissions"

Dekker

:lol:

Sounds just the job, £54.99 for existing customers. Not battery powered but plug in though that will be no prob.

Thanks everyone for contributing :lol:

Just plugged in my new router! Magic! :lol:

£51.38 from '3' shop in Burton on Trent, last one in stock, works a treat. It runs of a 230v power supply which is 12v output, warns not to use any other supply so I don't think I will risk any battery connection yet.

Its quiet easy to find a 5m usb extn cable for under a fiver in town or online.

This is the max length usable, but adequate to wrap in a plastic bag & hang from tv aerial/broom handle/tree or whatever :lol:

Why not compare apples with apples and not pears?? :lol: Your talking about a USB cable i am talking wireless router :lol:

Edited by Dutch

I have got a 9db gain magmount on the roof ... fleabay gsm antenna (search words, phone antenna) running to a connector (l00k under connectors) from panorama antennas.com to the USB. The (in my case E160) number of the dongle comes up on the (in my case vodafone) screen.

This works well on windows.

It works better on Linux Ubuntu , which is a free source program not micro soft.

As Ubuntu is a more simple program than windows it is easier to transmit and receive. ie. you get a much better reception on Ubuntu.