Signwriting your boat

heyjude999

Featured Posts

I have browsed the net quite a bit looking particularly for pictures of the sign writing/artwork on boats.

I want to have a good overall idea of what can be achieved.

Can anyone point me to any good websites or books that would help me decide what my boat name should look like?

I have taken lots of photos myself but remain undecided.

My new build in underway and whilst colours have been decided upon the sign writing and artwork is still open to suggestion.

Thank you.

Get a copy of "Colours of the Cut" and a copy of Tony Lewery's book. The former contains a huge number of pictures of working boat colour schemes and signage and the latter has a brief discussion of signage.

Colours of the Cut will have to be a visit to the library at £167.00 new.

But again thank you for the tip I will definately look them out.

Get a copy of "Colours of the Cut" and a copy of Tony Lewery's book. The former contains a huge number of pictures of working boat colour schemes and signage and the latter has a brief discussion of signage.

Just looked on Amazon at new not been on the other sellers.

Even at £40, I think I will be using the library, every penny counts and goes on the boat build.

Cheers

Don't know where you shop but it's forty quid new on Amazon

Tim

I have browsed the net quite a bit looking particularly for pictures of the sign writing/artwork on boats.

I want to have a good overall idea of what can be achieved.

Can anyone point me to any good websites or books that would help me decide what my boat name should look like?

I have taken lots of photos myself but remain undecided.

My new build in underway and whilst colours have been decided upon the sign writing and artwork is still open to suggestion.

Thank you.

have a look on SM Hudson Boatbuilders website, thers a section on their that shows a little bit of signwriting and painting, quite nice actually.

regards,

Guzziman

..Can anyone point me to any good websites or books that would help me decide what my boat name should look like?

Play.com .........£18.99 Free Delivery

RRP: £24.95 | You save: £5.96 (23%)

Usually dispatched within 6-8 weeks

Any good? Never had probs with Play.com, but this does seem a lengthy delivery time!

I have heard of Play but never looked at the site, I think I will be visiting again and have bought the book from there.

It makes me wonder where some people get their prices.

I buy a lot of books and will be comparing prices on this site in the future, but you are right the dispatch time is a bit crazy.

My boat will probably be almost complete by the time it arricves let's hope they fulfill the order before then.

Thank you for your help.

Play.com .........£18.99 Free Delivery

RRP: £24.95 | You save: £5.96 (23%)

Usually dispatched within 6-8 weeks

Any good? Never had probs with Play.com, but this does seem a lengthy delivery time!

I have heard of Play but never looked at the site, I think I will be visiting again and have bought the book from there.

It makes me wonder where some people get their prices.

I buy a lot of books and will be comparing prices on this site in the future, but you are right the dispatch time is a bit crazy.

My boat will probably be almost complete by the time it arricves let's hope they fulfill the order before then.

Thank you for your help.

Perhaps it takes that long to photocopy?

Richard

:lol:

Perhaps it takes that long to photocopy?

Richard

:lol:

Play are excellent - often cheaper than Amazon too - they are Channel Island based which allows them to operate some loop hole in the VAT regs.

Delivery is normally super fast _ I suspect the time quoted above is because it is not actually in stock and they will have to order in. When I've done this with them it has only been a couple of weeks rather than the extended stated time.

Edited by MJG

Almost every part of the journey is exciting, can't wait for the book now as I cannot contain myself about the build and when it will be completed.....that first journey will be one to remember for all the right reasons I hope.

And with your assistance it will be painted perfectly.

Hi

All good advice here in my opinion. If you're going for a traditional look to your lettering you won't go far wrong. Things developed over a long time and you have a degree of protection in holding to proven layouts. I'm not bidding to letter your boat....but I respectfully suggest that you talk to your intended writer and canvass opinion as to shading colours etc; most us have a sound idea of what works thro' sheer experience, an expertise that the customer doesn't always have. The result should proclaim pride of ownership and turn heads for the right reasons. Good luck!

Cheers

Dave Moore

We have not met the painter yet but have seen his work.

I have bought the book now from Play - sorry. Looks like one to keep anyway.

We have a friend who customises and has extrordinary talent and we plan to have his artwork on the side opening hatch and back doors.

Hoping we can pull off the blend or old and new.

Been to see our boat today and it is starting to look like a boat now, so excited.

does your painter not have a copy you could look at?