Blacking

Mary 1

Featured Posts

I am not sure if that is the correct term, but you know which part of the boat I mean, They only black up to a certain part of the hull, so I am doing the rest, I was told to use hammerorite, not sure if this is the correct thing to do, please can you advise me. The thing I want to be able to do is use an aero spray to touch up scuffs, instead of brushing it on. or am I silly to do this.

many thanks

Mary 1

I am not sure if that is the correct term, but you know which part of the boat I mean, They only black up to a certain part of the hull, so I am doing the rest, I was told to use hammerorite, not sure if this is the correct thing to do, please can you advise me. The thing I want to be able to do is use an aero spray to touch up scuffs, instead of brushing it on. or am I silly to do this.

many thanks

Mary 1

Myself in the company of, I think, an increasing number of others use blacking on this part of the hull, easily touched up and/or reblacked. In fact I also black sidececks. For anyone doing a lot of cruising, gloss paint here is a lot of hassle, tho I am sure some will disagree

Myself in the company of, I think, an increasing number of others use blacking on this part of the hull, easily touched up and/or reblacked. In fact I also black sidececks. For anyone doing a lot of cruising, gloss paint here is a lot of hassle, tho I am sure some will disagree

Bitumen goes dull very quickly and that, I suspect, is why some people use gloss paint between the gunwale and the top guard. However, if you simply want to restore the just-blacked look, dilute the bitumen to the consistency of water. You can cover the area in no time and the resultant shine seems to last as long as full strength coating.

many thanks

Mary 1

Not silly but you'll never get the perfectly sprayed effect you're looking for from an aerosol can. Just rub down scuffs, use a good primer and then brush or roller on the top coat. I don't know who told you to use Hammerite but I wouldn't!

Edited by blackrose

I am with you on this one

I use Wickes's non-drip black gloss. You can get huge tins on 'special' offer and its as good as anything .

I rub it down...red oxide prime...and hand brush it whenever it gets scraped (often ) and it always looks nice and fresh and shiney.

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

I use this which does the job. Decent finish, dries quickly cheap enough not to hurt when I touch it up 3 or 4 times a year. the one drawback is it's solvent based so white spirit isn't much help so I just buy cheap brushes and bin 'em afterward; after all it'll only get battered again.

Graham Booth, in the Narrowboat Builder's Book, equates putting expensive paint on your gunwhales with putting the indicators in your bumpers, i.e. destined for unecessary expense. I'd second that.