Middle Levels

Bones

Featured Posts

B.) it would take too long to get it there!

Depends on how you define how long.

As having just compleated March to the top of the Northampaton flight in only 3 days (82 miles 56 locks)

Now in need of a lie down to recover.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

When is harvest time?

We are coming in June is this a good time?

Thanks

Dekker :lol:

Your just in time

Firesprite

Middle Levels

Come on folks there's is only one level on the Middle.

Sue

Interesting. Historically that's true: it was all one level and drained through one outfall to the sea. The ongoing process of peat shrinkage and the advent of pumps has made things more complicated. The Middle Level now has at least four levels (King's Dyke, Well Creek, the stuff in the west beyond Lodes End lock and Bevill's Leam, and the main section) I don't know if that makes it permissible to refer to the Middle Levels or if it's still singular.

MP.

I am not taking my own boat.

Now this is just where my idea for boat swapping would work.

Is there a brainy person out there who would start this business up with me I wonder? If it works for houses why not boats?

I would certainly do it though my boat is small and a little scruffy inside but maybe another small, scruffy boat owner would swap. I mean small scruffy boat not small scruffy owner. :lol:

Edited by Water Rat.

There is one flaw in that plan. No hire boats in the area :lol:

No hire boats on the Fossdyke/Witham :lol:

A feeling of deja vue :lol:

edited to add there are hire boats at West Stockwith that are available for the Fossdyke

And Bones, you had this trouble last year, is there a reason why you have to go in October?

Edited by magpie patrick

Interesting. Historically that's true: it was all one level and drained through one outfall to the sea. The ongoing process of peat shrinkage and the advent of pumps has made things more complicated. The Middle Level now has at least four levels (King's Dyke, Well Creek, the stuff in the west beyond Lodes End lock and Bevill's Leam, and the main section) I don't know if that makes it permissible to refer to the Middle Levels or if it's still singular.

MP.

In their official name, the Commissioners are plural but their Middle Level is singular - odd, as you say, as the waterways in their care do flow at several different levelS.

A feeling of deja vue :lol:

edited to add there are hire boats at West Stockwith that are available for the Fossdyke

And Bones, you had this trouble last year, is there a reason why you have to go in October?

Ah yes.

The two boats at West Stockwith very rarely come off of the Chesterfield. I have yet to see one make it to the Fossdyke.

The Nene and the Ouse are each holidays in their own right (and the Nene is NOT fun whatever anyone else says).

What does this mean...???? Whats wrong with the Nene..??

what is realistic..???? Our original plan was to do the Thames ring this summer but have now postponed that until next year when we have more time, and more importantly, all parties can make it.

So for this year we was thinking about the Nene, middle levels, and across to the Ouse and back. We have 16 days....is this unrealistic...???

Edited by Evo

what is realistic..???? Our original plan was to do the Thames ring this summer but have now postponed that until next year when we have more time, and more importantly, all parties can make it.

So for this year we was thinking about the Nene, middle levels, and across to the Ouse and back. We have 16 days....is this unrealistic...???

We have travelled the Nene several times, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It used to be hard work at the locks - especially when they removed the handles off the winding mechanisms for Health and Safety reasons - but most of them are electrified now so it's a lot easier. In 2004 we also crossed the Middle Level and ventured up the Great Ouse as far as Kempston. Did we enjoy it? Well we're going back to do it again in July/August of this year, so I guess we must have done!

I have been told its lovely before. Glad you enjoyed it, and recently too, thats good enough for me. So whats this guy on about, winter months maybe...?

Blimey, whilst I was typing a reply to Bullfrog another one popped up...posibly see you there then 'Keeping Up'...1st 2 weeks in August for us.

Take no notice, the Nene is lovely.

You'll certainly get to the Ouse and back in 16 days, I doubt you'll have time to explore all of it and the navigable tributaries (Wissey, Little Ouse, Lark and Cam) Don't forget that you 'll have two tidal crossings which practically cost a day each way. Remeber also to give Stanground lockkeeper 24 hours notice as you come down the Nene.

MP.

Whats wrong with the Nene..??

I too don't think the Nene could really be called 'fun' in the way a heavily locked canal can be; there are a lot of locks, almost all of them slow-working guillotines and even though most are electrified they can become a chore. Mooring spots are limited and toilet facilities virtually non-existent - but the compensation is a beautiful river in lovely, rural countryside, pretty villages and some decent pubs. Well worth the visit.

The Middle Level 'through route' is pretty bleak apart from a nice run through Upwell and Outwell and the Great Ouse down to Ely is wide and largely uninspiring. BUT the tributaries off that stretch - Wissey, Lark and Little Ouse - are great and Ely is a wonderful place with lots to see and riverside moorings virtually in the city centre. In the time you've got that's probably what I'd try to achieve, with maybe a side trip from Ely on to Cambridge if the schedule allows.

Woo Hoo. Lots of interesting thoughts here, thank you. Irritatingly it looks as though boats are hired out until the end of September which isn't October...

It doesnt' sound optomistic for a trip across the wash, I would hire a pilot and I have no experience, but my crew does involve someone who sunk a ship....

do you know of any other boats like zinfandel? I had a look at it, but would like something a bit bigger.

I'm sure a chap I've met hired a pilot to cross the wash in his widebeam . . . . . (I believe the sum that changed hands was a 'ton' in used currency)

Would you like me to try and find his details for you Squire?

I'm sure a chap I've met hired a pilot to cross the wash in his widebeam . . . . . (I believe the sum that changed hands was a 'ton' in used currency)

Would you like me to try and find his details for you Squire?

And 'Granny Buttons' crossed the Wash in his nb last year with a pilot - you can look up the story on his blog.

I too don't think the Nene could really be called 'fun' in the way a heavily locked canal can be; there are a lot of locks, almost all of them slow-working guillotines and even though most are electrified they can become a chore. Mooring spots are limited and toilet facilities virtually non-existent - but the compensation is a beautiful river in lovely, rural countryside, pretty villages and some decent pubs. Well worth the visit.

The Middle Level 'through route' is pretty bleak apart from a nice run through Upwell and Outwell and the Great Ouse down to Ely is wide and largely uninspiring. BUT the tributaries off that stretch - Wissey, Lark and Little Ouse - are great and Ely is a wonderful place with lots to see and riverside moorings virtually in the city centre. In the time you've got that's probably what I'd try to achieve, with maybe a side trip from Ely on to Cambridge if the schedule allows.

absolutey what I was looking for...thanks very much.

Now this is just where my idea for boat swapping would work.

Is there a brainy person out there who would start this business up with me I wonder? If it works for houses why not boats?

I would certainly do it though my boat is small and a little scruffy inside but maybe another small, scruffy boat owner would swap. I mean small scruffy boat not small scruffy owner. :lol:

looks like someone's already beaten you to the idea

http://www.boatswap.info/