Waterscape - Safe Boating

Geoff

Featured Posts

Just been having a few minutes browsing whilst at w**k

Went to the Waterscape Site and had a look at Safe Boating

http://www.waterscape.com/features-and-art...es/safe-boating

Using their own words

Cill accidents usually occur when boaters enter a downhill lock and let the boat drift too close to the bottom gate. In front of each bottom gate is a cill submerged below the water, which can jut out by up to 5ft. If the back of your boat comes to rest on the cill as the chamber empties, the boat will tilt forward dangerously and you’ll no longer be floating freely. You and the boat could be in serious danger.

Something we should be aware of ?? :lol:

Or possibly they don't know the difference between top & botton

Geoff

That explains why they put the signs on the wrong gates.

Sur

On the Wigan flight on one or two of the locks, they put 'only open the gate paddles when the lock is half full' on the bottom gates next to the bottom gate paddles. As there are no other paddles on the bottom gates, I'm intrigued to know how on earth one is supposed to drain the lock if you follow this advice when you are descending.

Edited by Lady Muck

Well, I looked at the page at around 8 o'clock tonight and "bottom gate" had been changed to "top gate".

Indeed it has!

I hope Geoff receives an email from BW thanking him for pointing out the error. :lol:

Stewey

We can laugh but I find it depressing. A waterway system run by people who have no clue about using it.

I'm usually the first to knock them, but do wonder if this was just a genuine error by somebody who did know what the meant, but managed to type the wrong thing ?

If you proof-read your own stuff in that kind of situation, you have a habit of reading what you think you wrote, not what you actually managed to write.

When driving and my navigator says "left", I feel quite sure they actually knew they meant "right", and intended to say it. :lol:

You, Alan Fincher, would do a far better job than anyone presently employed in senior BW managemant.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A frightening thought !

Although I can at least spell management, which is a start I guess :lol:

(And I accept that was a typo too!).

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A frightening thought !

Although I can at least spell management, which is a start I guess :lol:

(And I accept that was a typo too!).

Well, you would, wouldn't you? You have much to say about boating, and a lot of practical experience. So do I. Why aren't we asked?

Hope that escapes the spelling police; I've misload moi spics.

This isn't true either. You will be quite safe, on the lockside with a windlass and a horrified expression.

Not according to this page as "the steerer should never leave the helm". Tricky if you're single-handed.

I like the next bit though.

Trips and tumbles

During 2008 BW recorded 50 accidents that involved slips, trips or falls – the largest single cause of reported accidents.

Sometimes it can be quite easy to end up taking a spill on the towpath, as there are so many things to keep an eye out for. Bollards, ropes, and rings are the things you will need to look out for the most, but holes, uneven ground and slippery surfaces can also cause trips.

So; if trips and falls are the largest single cause of accidents, and bollards are one of the things to look out for the most, then why did BW ... ? You all know the rest. :lol:

On the Wigan flight on one or two of the locks, they put 'only open the gate paddles when the lock is half full' on the bottom gates next to the bottom gate paddles. As there are no other paddles on the bottom gates, I'm intrigued to know how on earth one is supposed to drain the lock if you follow this advice when you are descending.

Bucket.

T :lol: