Hatch Runners

Featured Posts

We have a rear hatch that currently run steel against steel making it quite hard to open/close and impossible to do so quietly. I notice that most boats seem to have thin steel strips both on the hatch and on the boat. Where would I source these from and how would I attach it (adhesive?).

Many thanks,

Matt

We have a rear hatch that currently run steel against steel making it quite hard to open/close and impossible to do so quietly. I notice that most boats seem to have thin steel strips both on the hatch and on the boat. Where would I source these from and how would I attach it (adhesive?).

Many thanks,

Matt

Sometimes candle wax and a polish helps .......

Sometimes candle wax and a polish helps .......

Most boats run on brass strips often drilled and tapped into the angle runners with countersunk screws another alternative is brass blocks with a slot in that are fixed to the hatch these fit over the outside edge of the angle which in turn has a brass chanel fitted over it I hope this helps you can by brass flat bar from B and Q Regards Martin

Edited by Martin Kedian

Another (unusual) alternative in the last paragraph here:

http://tuglyranarrowboatcharles.blogspot.c...-and-hatch.html

T.

If fitted with those you could have fun trying to close the hatch by accelerating and open the hatch by stopping quickly. I'm very good at the latter, usually with the help of lock gates, banks, other craft, walls, etc.

It would be interesting to hear how this idea is performing, after 3 years.

I was wondering the same thing. Those runners are only thin steel - wouldn't they have rusted through by now?

Many rear hatches use brass strips and bearings of some kind. Brass on brass is "slippery" as the metal doesn't grab itself (like mild steel does) but with frequent use will burnish.

Chandlers sell such things. the runner strips can be screwed or pot riveted to the boat both would need to be counter suck of course.

See here for two slightly different options for brass hatch runners.

http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/HATCH-RUNNERS_B215D5.aspx

They don't have pics of them but it will give you an idea of cost. One type uses a "C" section brass length that fits to the edge of the boats raised section for the hatch runway and the brass bearings attach to the hatch and run along either side of the edge.

The other method uses a flat brass strip on top of the boats raised hatch runway section and the bearings run along the top of this but also go under neat the runway so that the hatch can't be lifted off.

In choosing it is a case of deciding if the hatch is wide enough to fit the edge "c" section method or not.

Edited by churchward

It would be interesting to hear how this idea is performing, after 3 years.

Fine Carl, working just fine, the rear hatch runners are a form of very hard plastic that I got from Puffer Parts chandlers, one less thing to polish I thought, however next time I would chose brass runners, the front are the same however I used the wheels as described on the blog, no problem, the do run freely but the weight of the hatch means you have to push it open and closed, you cant give it a push and let it run itself to the stops

BTW its for sale on the duck!

Charles

Many thanks,

Matt

I had the same problem.

Got some 1mm Tufnol cut into 25mm strips and stuck to the existing steel runners on the boat and hatch.

Slides much better now.

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/

I had the same problem.

Got some 1mm Tufnol cut into 25mm strips and stuck to the existing steel runners on the boat and hatch.

Slides much better now.

How did you attach it? Will it glue?

T.