BW Local User Group Meetings

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

I have just been reading through the notes of local BW User Group Meetings. Does anyone on this forum attend them and, if so, what qualification is required to be invited to attend?

Think you need to know the secret BW handshake and password,and agree with anything that is proposed and most importantly you must know absolutely nothing about canals and have no consideration for your customers :lol:

I have just been reading through the notes of local BW User Group Meetings. Does anyone on this forum attend them and, if so, what qualification is required to be invited to attend?

Attended a number when I was a IWA Branch Chairman.

Attendees are normally representatives of local organisations that have an interest in the canals in question (IWA, NABO, HNBOC, Anglers, Cyclists etc)

BW got a lot of critisism at one time as using the meetings to tell us what they intended at length leaving little time for actual group discussions, don't know if this has changed.

Details of meetings at

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/listenin...tional-meetings

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Think you need to know the secret BW handshake and password,and agree with anything that is proposed and most importantly you must know absolutely nothing about canals and have no consideration for your customers :lol:

Completely untrue. I find the above insulting to the people who do take the time and trouble to attend. As Tim said most are members of various associations but they are all normal boaters. (That could be a contradiction in terms). If anyone would like to attend ask BW.

I don't attend now but I've been to enough to know what happens and who goes.

Sue

Completely untrue. I find the above insulting to the people who do take the time and trouble to attend. As Tim said most are members of various associations but they are all normal boaters. (That could be a contradiction in terms). If anyone would like to attend ask BW.

I don't attend now but I've been to enough to know what happens and who goes.

Sue

Well they promised me time and time again that I'd be invited to "the next meeting" but, eventually, was told by a patrol officer that it would never happen, unless I started tugging my forelock a bit more.

I was more than happy to attend, at any time, any location, but if you're not in the gang, you can't get in.

Well they promised me time and time again that I'd be invited to "the next meeting" but, eventually, was told by a patrol officer that it would never happen, unless I started tugging my forelock a bit more.

I was more than happy to attend, at any time, any location, but if you're not in the gang, you can't get in.

Exactly

I have no inclination to join any type of user group i would attend any user meeting in my area off my own back ,I could then ask my own questions .

If the meetings were for all users i am sure a lot more people would turn out,not just for those who want to be in a club

I have no inclination to join any type of user group i would attend any user meeting in my area off my own back ,I could then ask my own questions .

If the meetings were for all users i am sure a lot more people would turn out,not just for those who want to be in a club

The clubs have to be "recognised" by BW, too!

There is no place for groups that don't pass muster.

I didn't ask if you were a member of any user group. I asked if you had been refused attendance at a user group meeting a different thing altogether.

Sue

I didn't ask if you were a member of any user group. I asked if you had been refused attendance at a user group meeting a different thing altogether.

Sue

Attendees are normally representatives of local organisations that have an interest in the canals in question (IWA, NABO, HNBOC, Anglers, Cyclists etc)

and i belong to none of the above

Adrian Stott goes to various BW meetings and he isn't representing any group. I feel you are passing judgement without really knowing the facts.

Sue

Sue

I have been refused attendance but it helps your argument to ignore me, doesn't it?

I don't belong to any of the above, either, and nor do I represent anyone else, but that doesn't stop me attending local user group meetings.

The dates and venues of meetings are published in advance on the BW website here:

(local user groups listed in the right hand column).

I don't belong to any of the above, either, and nor do I represent anyone else, but that doesn't stop me attending local user group meetings.

The dates and venues of meetings are published in advance on the BW website here:

(local user groups listed in the right hand column).

Times have changed (and for the better!).

I used to be told, repeatedly, that I couldn't attend, without invitation, and had to be representing a group.

Wrong;;; thats the qualification you need to become a manager on Waterways

Times have changed (and for the better!).

I used to be told, repeatedly, that I couldn't attend, without invitation, and had to be representing a group.

Perhaps you're a known troublemaker?

:lol:

There may also be different policies in different areas. Some of the venues are not that big and they may be worried about too many people turning up. It makes sense to have people who attend representing some sort of group. If they insist that you have to represent someone, could you not attend, say, on behalf of the people who moor at your moorings, or on behalf of the members of CanalWorld Forum?

I have been refused attendance but it helps your argument to ignore me, doesn't it?

It makes no difference to my comments. You have been refused, Adrian is allowed. I have no knowledge on why or when this happened but Adrian has and is attending. When I checked attendees at one meeting I found 4 people representing Nabo. I only knew one of them.

Sue

Why did it take four people to represent nabo , did they not know or inform each other who was going where and who was doing what.

I can only assume they liked attending meetings. As I said I had no knowledge of them attending until I checked. They certainly never reported back.

Sue

I atended the recent K&A user group forum at Woolhampton representing Dba.

There was no requirement to be invited, the anoucement in 'The Butty' clearly said all welcome.

I was somewhat dissapointed by the turn out, as there are many things wrong with the K&A and if people don't take the opportunity to air their complaints then nothing will change.

I did feel there was something of a chummy clique going on especially when the subject of K&A200 came up which,to my mind, is something of a farce.

Keith.