LATE LICENCE PENALTY

long john

Featured Posts

SHOULD A POOR MAN WHO HAS A GENUINE WATER LIFESTYLE AND AN EXPIRED BOAT SAFETY THING HAVE TO PAY MUCH MORE MONEY FOR A LICENCE EVEN IF HE HAS SAVED FOR IT AND PREPARED TO PAY FOR IT , BUT UNFORTUNATELY CAN'T GET THE WORK DONE IN TIME FOR THE SAFETY THING ? WHY SHOULD THIS MAN PAY MORE THAN THE MAN WHO HAS MONEY AND CAN AFFORD IT?

THE LAWS YOU ARE IMPLEMENTING ARE REMOVING THE BEAUTY OF OUR WATER, THE WATER ACCOMODATES EVERYONE ESPECIALLY OUR POOR, OUR WILD AND THE FREE.

It makes no sense it makes life harder for the needy, is this a good thing? even if they are prepared (though not always able) to pay their way?

Rules are rules and the law is the law. Unfortunately this is life and the way it is!!!! Unless we feel the need to expend energy to change the things that we don't agree with - things will just stay the way they are.

My mother always used to say 'If you don't like it, do something about it or put up and/or shut up'. Sounds a little defeatist but I am quite happy settling for a quiet and simple life (thats just me).

I don't pretend to know the exact circumstances of the post, but I think I understand where your coming from - Sorry mate, thats just life!!

Especially, I have found, life on the water!!!!

I'd agree with Phylis and Blackelle except I'm not sure BW have any legal right to impose late payment penalties.

We were recently told that we have to pay the total amount of BW licence fee, when we previously had agreed a standing order(and there had been some sort of admin C#ck up). When speaking to the relevant person, calmly and without ranting and raving, we got it sorted. Sometimes, calm and rational doe's actually pay off.

We were recently told that we have to pay the total amount of BW licence fee, when we previously had agreed a standing order

Blimey, I spent years trying, unsuccessfully, to negotiate a standing order agreement, rather than Direct Debit.

How did you manage it?

We were recently told that we have to pay the total amount of BW licence fee, when we previously had agreed a standing order(and there had been some sort of admin C#ck up). When speaking to the relevant person, calmly and without ranting and raving, we got it sorted. Sometimes, calm and rational doe's actually pay off.

Totally agree, communication is key.

Try and speak to someone at BW and calmly explain your cicumstances. If there's been an oversight in getting things sorted on time for renewal, be prepared to eat a little bit of humble pie and acknowledge it. I'd reckon you've a far better chance of a sensible resolution if they at least know you're getting it sorted and are fully aware of your particular circumstances. Oh, and make sure you make a note of the person's name you speak to and/or a reference for the call.

Blimey, I spent years trying, unsuccessfully, to negotiate a standing order agreement, rather than Direct Debit.

How did you manage it?

They wanted DD on a certain day of the month, which meant that we would incur charges (every blooming month and got in pickle). We suggested that the only way it could be done successfully was for us to set up the SS and remain in control of timings of payment (due to irregularity of income). After some discussion, some crossed wires and a little of 'if you want it paid and we want to pay it - this is the only way we can do it' - Success!!!! Smiley happy people all round :lol:

I do think it depends on finding someone who will actually listen, talk to and understand what you are trying to achieve. First name terms and talk to the same person everytime!!!!

Edited by blackelle123

SHOULD A POOR MAN WHO HAS A GENUINE WATER LIFESTYLE AND AN EXPIRED BOAT SAFETY THING HAVE TO PAY MUCH MORE MONEY FOR A LICENCE EVEN IF HE HAS SAVED FOR IT AND PREPARED TO PAY FOR IT , BUT UNFORTUNATELY CAN'T GET THE WORK DONE IN TIME FOR THE SAFETY THING ? WHY SHOULD THIS MAN PAY MORE THAN THE MAN WHO HAS MONEY AND CAN AFFORD IT?

THE LAWS YOU ARE IMPLEMENTING ARE REMOVING THE BEAUTY OF OUR WATER, THE WATER ACCOMODATES EVERYONE ESPECIALLY OUR POOR, OUR WILD AND THE FREE.

It makes no sense it makes life harder for the needy, is this a good thing? even if they are prepared (though not always able) to pay their way?

I suppose a way of avoiding this is to get a pre-BSS inspection, so you know what sort of work MIGHT be required (or go through the BSS paper work on the BW site) so the money for the work can be saved up in advance. Then, it is possible to get the inspection itself done up to three months in advance which will then give three months for the work to be actually carried out before the new certificate has to be issued.

As for late payments, I suppose the way to get around it is make sure the boat licence and BSS aren't due at the same time - rather like TAX and MOT on a car?

As for the implementation of late payment, it is interesting that it cant be enforced, if that is the case should it really be allowed to be impliemented.

Edited by Bones

I have always found the administative staff in the BW Licencing Office to be very helpful. I am certain that if you phoned them and explained your situation, they will look upon it sympatheticly.

You will probably have to back date the licence payment when you are eventually able to pay it, but that would be no different than if you were able to pay for it when it was due.

On the other side of the coin why should BW care that you cant afford to pay. It isnt their problem. Im sure if you rang them they would be sympathetic, however at the end of the day you knew that the BSS and the Licience needed renewing so why wait until the last possible moment. The BSS lasts for 4 years it isnt something sprung on you.

Thats just the way it is. If the BSS was due for renewal the work should have been doen before the expiry of the licence. There are no exceptions for people who are hard up. We all play by the same rules.

If only that were true :lol:

Hi Long John.

Are you the "poor man" you are referring to?

Richard

You do know you can have the BSS done some time before the date and have the certificate post-dated, don't you? (BW usually explain this and state the time allowed when they write to remind you that your next renewal will need a new BSC).

The other useful thing is to get hold of the guide and do your own inspection first, any time you like, so that you will find anything that is non-compliant and deal with it. That way, you only get the surveyor once and only pay for a pass. Arguably, doing this regularly will also keep your boat safer (although to be honest I wish the BSS would confine itself to things that could hurt other people - gas and petrol really - and allow us to asphyxiate, electrocute or drown oursleves in our own boats as we wish, the way that sea-going types can. I do find it bizarre that I am trusted to use radioactivity, lethal chemicals and live viruses on my lab bench with far less nannying than I get just for cooking and staying warm on a boat. I also wonder whether the recent spate of fires, CO poisonings, and now portable gas cylinders going 'boom', partly result from people having a boat certified as 'safe' and therefore not thinking about what they are doing. Educating people about dangers - and the BSS site does do a good job with that to be fair to them - but reminding them that they are in a potentially dangerous environment and therefore have to think about what they do, may actually do more good than certifying the place as safe and encouraging complacency. "Education rather than legislation". Then, I suppose that's another topic...).