Any Creighton owners out there?

Dave Faulkner

Featured Posts

Having acquired a "Creighton" cruiser some 12 months ago now I'm curious to know what the history of these boats is and share any information / experience others may have regarding these craft.

Whilst mine is in need of a bit of tlc in the paint department it does seem to be fairly solid and has clearly seen plenty of use.

It's also had a refit inside at some point and may even have been converted from inboard to outboard.

Unlike other marques it seems there are no dedicated web sites so information is scarce (even though I've seen a few on the waterways).

So - over to you.

Ah, I had not read this before replying to your post concerning fuel along the waterways.

We too have a Creighton. Ours is a 27ft centre cockpit, built in 1966 with a fibreglass hull and plywood top.

I agree that finding information about Creightons is not easy, although we see many on the canals.

We have only owned ours since last September.

Just last week we met a lovely couple at Ruegeley who allowed us on board for a look at theirs to assist us with ideas of how they come in original form. Ours has been "got at" and we are in the process of refitting, although it is very useable with the work we have done so far. Their boat was built in 1974, and was in very good original condition inside.

There is another newish member on here with a Creighton. Here is a link to the post.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21882

Hope that link works.

Happy to share any information with you.

If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you some photos of ours, if it helps.

FirstMate.

Great to hear from you. One issue we had with ours was that the topside superstructure (GRP) was constructed in two halves with a join at the centre cockpit. Over the years leaks had developed both port and starboard at the joins. A serious amount of water had entered via this route and as a result the whole of the interior cockpit woodwork was seriously rotten (why didn't we notice when we bought it!).

Work over winter has cured the leaks and all the woodwork has been replaced so we're in better shape now! Still some finishing to do on the GRP repairs but everything is now bone dry inside.

We were also lumbered with a duff outboard (left adrift on the Trent with no engine first time out) so a second hand Honda 15 has been installed - bit iffy on engaging reverse but will do for now. The generosity of fellow boaters in coming to our assistance was very reassuring.

Lots of tinkering and TLC still to do but we're trying to do some cruising alongside the maintenance work!

Perhaps other Creighton owners will reply in due course - maybe start a new thread?

Anyway thanks fro the reply - I don't think ours is quite in need asof as much work as the link you added.

Regs,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Having acquired a "Creighton" cruiser some 12 months ago now I'm curious to know what the history of these boats is and share any information / experience others may have regarding these craft.

Whilst mine is in need of a bit of tlc in the paint department it does seem to be fairly solid and has clearly seen plenty of use.

It's also had a refit inside at some point and may even have been converted from inboard to outboard.

Unlike other marques it seems there are no dedicated web sites so information is scarce (even though I've seen a few on the waterways).

So - over to you.

Dave,

Found this site by chance the other day and am delighted to see other folks interested in Creightons.

I aquired what turned out to be a Creighton around 1998 very much in need of renovation. It belonged to the Linlithgow Union Canal Society here in Scotland and I think it belonged to one of their members before that.

I reckon it must be the smallest cruiser ever built for canal use, being about 5mtrs LOA.

The cabin top moulding is identical to ones I've seen for sale on the web, but there the similarity ends.

The hull is basically a square box with only a semblace of a bow at the front giving it a sawn off appearance

When I got it it had been sunk so I had to replace vitually all the cockpit woodwork, although inside the cabin is mostly original with a small heads and galley. Cockpit roof is a one piece moulding again identical to those seen on the web.

I know nothing about Creightons, but would really like to know where they were built and what sort of boats were in their production range.

We were also lumbered with a duff outboard (left adrift on the Trent with no engine first time out) so a second hand Honda 15 has been installed

Regs,

Dave

Lesson learned?

Always know your equipment well before attempting big rivers.

And remember where the shallow bits are, and watch out for low bridges.

They are all noted. Wont ground in the same locations again, wont hit the same bridges again :lol:

Engine checks before any journey are a must, hitting things is optional :lol:

Crieghtons were built up here, Nelson/Burnley way. There's a guy on Salterforth moorings who worked for them, engine department IIRC. They were bonny boats, I would have had one if I ever wanted a plastic. I even refloated one in 2007 to see if was a worthwhile restoration project. Alas BW decided to skip it before we could decide.

Phylis, dont fret, we all make mistakes....

Crieghtons were built up here, Nelson/Burnley way. There's a guy on Salterforth moorings who worked for them, engine department IIRC. They were bonny boats, I would have had one if I ever wanted a plastic. I even refloated one in 2007 to see if was a worthwhile restoration project. Alas BW decided to skip it before we could decide.

Phylis, dont fret, we all make mistakes....

Does anyone know how many models there were,

I have a midget at about 16ft , I've seen several 26/27?ft versions with outboards for sale and in fact am looking at one tomorrow, I've also seen a 32ft version which appears to have an inboard engine/stern drive. What size of outboard is the norm on the 26ft version?

Just for info, when I got the boat, the engine had been removed, but I seem to recall it was a small stuart turner petrol, I remember someone telling me it would barely make headway against the wind. I subsequently strengthened the transom and made an outboard bracket and have used it in this form successfully with an 8HP yamaha.

Eric the Bairn

Does anyone know how many models there were,

I have a midget at about 16ft , I've seen several 26/27?ft versions with outboards for sale and in fact am looking at one tomorrow, I've also seen a 32ft version which appears to have an inboard engine/stern drive. What size of outboard is the norm on the 26ft version?

Just for info, when I got the boat, the engine had been removed, but I seem to recall it was a small stuart turner petrol, I remember someone telling me it would barely make headway against the wind. I subsequently strengthened the transom and made an outboard bracket and have used it in this form successfully with an 8HP yamaha.

Eric the Bairn

I used to own a 30ft Creighton built in 1972. It was of all GRP construction with centre cockpit and stern deck. The engine installation was fairly typical for the 30ft and 32 ft boats - Perkins 4/107 with Enfield Z drive.

They are great boats and not prone to osmosis. There are still plenty around (including my old boat).

• 4 years later...

I own a 32ft creighton , centre cockpit , I think just about every part has been altered in some way , it would be nice to see some photos of a original if anyone has any ?

It was a inboard engine but was modified to a 9.9 yamaha outboard , great on the canals and econimical , can be a bit weak on a river with flow against you. Now there is a fixed double bed where the inboard was mounted.

I am happy with the creighton all round , great solid boat and plenty of space.

I used to own a Creighton 20 which was basicly the front end of the centre cockpit 28 with a outboard engine, it was a great boat really thick grp structure, sadly in 2003 whilst on a trip on the system having come through the ribble link she was stolen at Preston brook and set on fire, incredilby she still refused to sink and was towed back to the Marina there with all the topsides gone and sadly craned into a skip. As you can imagine we were very upset, I learned that they were built by a man called Creighton Ball in the old tram sheds in Nelson, he started making folding caravans and i have seen some touring caravans as well, they also made a caraboat called a Creighton Gull, there is a great pathe newsreel clip on youtube showing it though i not sure any survive in this country but we have seen pictures of one in America. The boats had an alluminium tag in the cabin with numbers on which showed the date built. i will try and post a link to the youtube clip,

All the best with your boat, I'm sure you won't have any osmosis problems with a Creighton.

Neil..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNTwUnM5pJY

• 5 months later...

I own a Creighton 32 cruiser which we have had for about 7 years. What a fantastic first boat. Not sure how old she is but she's still going strong. She's got a centre cockpit and a 2 litre Volvo Penta engine (fitted before I bought her) with an Enfield 'z' drive. Haven't got a great deal of history about her. She had been well and truly neglected before we bought her. I'm really looking for any info I can find about Creightons. There seems to be so little on the web.

We have refitted her out and given her a total makeover.

Not sure how I can display pictures on this forum - anybody able to advise?

I own a Creighton 32 cruiser which we have had for about 7 years. What a fantastic first boat. Not sure how old she is but she's still going strong. She's got a centre cockpit and a 2 litre Volvo Penta engine (fitted before I bought her) with an Enfield 'z' drive. Haven't got a great deal of history about her. She had been well and truly neglected before we bought her. I'm really looking for any info I can find about Creightons. There seems to be so little on the web.

We have refitted her out and given her a total makeover.

Not sure how I can display pictures on this forum - anybody able to advise?

Can't seem to be able to upload any of my pictures...! All my files are much larger than what's allowed in the gallery area. Anybody able to help with a suggestion.? I don't know how to reduce the size of my photos so they can be uploaded. Very frustrating..!

So - over to you.

have a look on the dawncraft owners site as they were a simular boat ie in age and design there have been a few threads and comments on there over the years regarding creighton boats i nearly bought one myself a few years ago but ended up with a 34ft centre cockpit dawncraft though i think having looked at both the creighton was probably a much stronger built boat as they were made when fibreglass was a bit of an unknown and thicker was deamed better,, good luck and most important just enjoy your boat A.T.B Paul

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I have a 36ft steel narrowboat apparently built by Creighton regional 1991. 

I was hoping to find out what the original layout of my boat was when built as it has been chopped and changed since then it also now has a bmc 1.5 diesel engine fitted despite canal planner saying it has a10hp Inboard petrol engine. 

I would love to see the original plans of what it was originally built as.