DSS

Featured Posts

If you become unemployed (and millions do!) will the DSS pay the mooring fees just as they would pay housing costs if you lived in a house? Just wondered?

It's not the DSS who would cough up - it's your local council; but, yes, Housing Benefit is designed to contribute towards mooring costs of your dwelling. [i don't know personally - because I'm CC'ing, but my first benefits office were keen on me claiming!]

Friend of mine tried once in nottingham when he had a 70 ft boat they told him he didnt need a 70ft boat for himself told him buy a smaller one and they would cough up,,as he pointed out to them if he was living in a 3 bedroom house it would cost them more after a few months they eventually paid

It's not the DSS who would cough up - it's your local council; but, yes, Housing Benefit is designed to contribute towards mooring costs of your dwelling. [i don't know personally - because I'm CC'ing, but my first benefits office were keen on me claiming!]

Not wishing to be pedantic, but the DSS no longer exist.

First they became BA (Benefits Agency) and then in April (03/04 I can't remember) they merged with the Employment Service and became reborn as JobCentre Plus.

Housing Beneft is a JC+ benefit but it is ministered on their behalf by the Local Authority. Not sure how this would affect entitlement if CC'ing and moving through various Local Authorities bounderies. However if trying to claim mooring fees wouldn't one be static?

Jez

Well they didn't pay a bean towards housing costs when I was made redundant from my previous job at the end of last year. I didn't even get jobseekers allowance (of either variety) because I had been self employed for one of the qualifying months they looked at, and my wife earned more than 94 quid a week, which apparently was all we needed to live on :lol:

Quite how they'd react if someone went in and said "I'm cruising around the country on my narrowboat - would you care to get a few taxpayers to contribute?" I'm not sure!

Andy

Well they didn't pay a bean towards housing costs when I was made redundant from my previous job at the end of last year. I didn't even get jobseekers allowance (of either variety) because I had been self employed for one of the qualifying months they looked at, and my wife earned more than 94 quid a week, which apparently was all we needed to live on :lol:

Quite how they'd react if someone went in and said "I'm cruising around the country on my narrowboat - would you care to get a few taxpayers to contribute?" I'm not sure!

Andy

Just tell them you're an MP, they will give you thousands and thousands.

Just tell them you're an MP, they will give you thousands and thousands.

:lol: very true.

From a benefit point of wiew, Ican't see any difference whether one lives afloat or ashore. The signs are that there will be many people in the same boat in time to come.

If you become unemployed (and millions do!) will the DSS pay the mooring fees just as they would pay housing costs if you lived in a house? Just wondered?

:lol: No

If u become unemployed u get another job and pay your way !! Unless you are unfit thro ill health or some other legitimate reason u earns ya keep.

I left school at 15 with no qualifications and have never claimed a bean in 38 working years.........I am no superstar but have had in the past worked for peanuts rather than so called sign on............... :lol:

:lol: very true.

From a benefit point of wiew, Ican't see any difference whether one lives afloat or ashore. The signs are that there will be many people in the same boat in time to come.

Hope they have plenty of bunks! :lol:

Edited by johnjo

:lol: No

If u become unemployed u get another job and pay your way !! Unless you are unfit thro ill health or some other legitimate reason u earns ya keep.

I left school at 15 with no qualifications and have never claimed a bean in 38 working years.........I am no superstar but have had in the past worked for peanuts rather than so called sign on............... :lol:

Spot on Mr Smelly. I have worked since leaving college aged 18, several different jobs, some poor payers and paying loads into the system, even at the higher rate of tax at times and currently self employed just getting by. Oh yes I have filled my tax and NI pot quite nicely with about 6 weeks sickness in 33 years graft. But are we mugs?? I do begin to wonder at times !

Firstly the original question was about mooring fees so I don't know why everyones on about claiming benefits if you're CCing.?

I don't know the answer but one issue that may arise is whether one is moored on a proper residential mooring or not?

Secondly, whether we like it or not this is a valid question. Since none of us know the circumstances of the OP let's not rush to judge him.

Just because we may have never claimed a penny doesn't necessarily mean that someone else shouldn't.

Its very easy to say "just get another job" but its not always that easy, especially now. The OP didn't say he wanted to claim benefits and live on them forever - he may simply be worried about losing his job and just be needing a bit of reassurance that should this happen he could survive the period of unemployment while looking for a new job.

Who knows, this guy may have paid tax an NI for 40 years without ever making a claim?

Edited by blackrose

Since none of us know the circumstances of the OP let's not rush to judge him.

We have a fair idea of the circumstances of Pot Noodle Adventurer, (the OP) as they set them out in the post before yours. :lol:

I agree though - the "just go and get another job" mentality in the current economic climate might be judged a little bit misguided.

Former university friends of mine at a recent reunion explained how their children, with good degrees in good subjects, (but large student debts!), were struggling to find even the most menial of work.

With current unemployment levels, it is simply not possible for everybody who wants a job to actually get one - please let us not pretend that everybody who is not currently working is automatically lazy or a scrounger.

Not wishing to be pedantic, but the DSS no longer exist.

First they became BA (Benefits Agency) and then in April (03/04 I can't remember) they merged with the Employment Service and became reborn as JobCentre Plus.

Housing Beneft is a JC+ benefit but it is ministered on their behalf by the Local Authority. Not sure how this would affect entitlement if CC'ing and moving through various Local Authorities bounderies. However if trying to claim mooring fees wouldn't one be static?

Jez

Actually the DSS became and still is the DWP (department of works and pensions) and they administer benefits.

Actually the DSS became and still is the DWP (department of works and pensions) and they administer benefits.

Actually, DWP is the overarching unbrella Department and is comprised of a number of Agencies/Services/Elements (however you wish to define them)......eg. JobCentre Plus (responsible for getting people jobs and administering benefits for thiose without work), The Pension Service (responsible for administering State Pensions), Child Support Agency (did their name change? I forget). I'm sure there's more but I retired in 05 and the memory tends to fade.

Jez

We have a fair idea of the circumstances of Pot Noodle Adventurer, (the OP) as they set them out in the post before yours. :lol:

I agree though - the "just go and get another job" mentality in the current economic climate might be judged a little bit misguided.

Former university friends of mine at a recent reunion explained how their children, with good degrees in good subjects, (but large student debts!), were struggling to find even the most menial of work.

With current unemployment levels, it is simply not possible for everybody who wants a job to actually get one - please let us not pretend that everybody who is not currently working is automatically lazy or a scrounger.

I agree ,if it was just a case of go and get another job, then the vast majority would and regarding mooring fees I can state that they are acceptable as a legitimate part of a benefit claim. I was recently laid off and at the age of 63 am still looking with little hope of employment ( I've paid in for 47 years )

So lets all be a little more charitable towards people a little less fortunate.

Phil

I would agree that it's not quite as easy as "just go and get another job" these days. In my neck of the woods the jobs seem to be very few and far between unless you are qualified in "young peoples services" whatever they may be - there are always loads of vacancies in that area.

I was originally a forester and widely experienced in all aspects of land management, then many years driving a wagon, then running a recycling plant for a local company, plus setting up and running three internet businesses at various times - and I was out of work for about three months, though it seemed like an awful lot longer! Didn't suit me at all to be honest, and I think it would be very easy for people to get truly depressed about it.

I'm now doing a seasonal job for BW and really hoping something permanent will come up, as the thought of signing on again, even though they didn't give me anything, is not a pleasant one! The BW job is great, although financially I've gone backwards about ten years and am now getting less than half what I did at the recycling plant. I do think though that enjoying your job is something that's hard to beat, no matter what ends up in your pocket at the end of the week.

Cheers,

Andy

So the answer is what ? . Will someone pay for your moorings ?

and as for "no you just get another job" you have put my mind at rest ,i didnt realise i had nothing to worry about as there must be lots and lots of jobs out there if it is so easy , in acouple of weeks time when the inevitable happens on a friday afternoon i will just go out on the monday morning and "just get another job " easy ,

I must have missed the post in which he laid out his circumstances before writing mine - but then in part that was my point: those who chose to malign Pot Noodle were equally ignorant.

I must have missed the post in which he laid out his circumstances before writing mine - but then in part that was my point: those who chose to malign Pot Noodle were equally ignorant.

Hello all.

Thank you for your replies. I don't feel maligned at all because the question was hypothetical.

I am fortunate enough to have a manageable self employed and pension income at this time but circumstances can and do change and one day I want to live permanently on a narrowboat.

Lets be clear there are many genuine unemployed people as there are genuinely sick people and some of the points made acknowledge this. i am sure that unemployment and longer term sickness can be a miserable and depressing existence for most which still carries a stigma for many.

I have the answer to the original question which was broadly as I thought.

There is life before,during and after work!

Yes you can claim housing benefit for help with licence and mooring fees. This applies regardless of the legality or otherwise of your mooring. There have been two appeals (that I know of) on this issue, which concluded that housing benefit would be payable.

Here are two links regarding the appeals - it may need quoting at them if you do wish to claim - the initial reaction is often "no" however this is incorrect.

www.administrativeappeals.tribunals.gov.uk/judgmentfiles/j2392/R(H)%209-08%20bv.doc

www.osscsc.gov.uk/judgmentfiles/j1819/CH%200318%202005-00.doc

Hope this helps someone who needs it!

Ronie

Also lets remember that someone who has been on benefits for 10 years hasn't had as much out of the tax payers as one of the deserving scumbag MP's

Edited by bobh

Just one comment, please don't anyone take it personally.

Anyone fortunate enough to have been in work all their life and never made a claim is in no position to condemn those who do, they just have no idea what they are talking about.

I have had the experience of unemployment, being unable to find work whilst enduring ritual humiliation at the hands of the judgemental fascists who seem to gravitate to working at the job centre is not funny and very very few will put up with it if there is any viable alternative. I have done poorly paid temporary jobs in crap conditions and then been crucified because the job centre does not understand the concept of "temporary" and insist one is either sacked or leaves voluntarily.

It stinks, it really does and saying "just get another job" is like telling someone who is suicidally depressed to just "cheer up".

Oh, I don't know though....

I grew up in the '30s with an unemployed father. He didn't riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he kept looking 'til he found it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously - your post is excellently put, and I think it would be hard to say it any better

Yes you can claim housing benefit for help with licence and mooring fees. This applies regardless of the legality or otherwise of your mooring. There have been two appeals (that I know of) on this issue, which concluded that housing benefit would be payable.

Here are two links regarding the appeals - it may need quoting at them if you do wish to claim - the initial reaction is often "no" however this is incorrect.

www.administrativeappeals.tribunals.gov.uk/judgmentfiles/j2392/R(H)%209-08%20bv.doc

www.osscsc.gov.uk/judgmentfiles/j1819/CH%200318%202005-00.doc

Hope this helps someone who needs it!

Ronie

Hi Ronie

Absolutely brilliant.

Many thanks and everyone that this applies to should get a slice of the action asap!!!!

Sadly it's unlikely that you will be able to claim any unemployment benefits at all if you are/were ever self-employed, especially if officially registered as such.

I know a lot of people who do a lot of voluntary work, 30 to 60 hours a week "just to keep busy" or hopeful of it leading to securing a paid position. Anything over 15hours a week can lead to benefits being cut but often jobs in certain areas will demand a certain level of experience which can only really be gained through doing voluntary work of a suitable kind.

People who say they have worked all their lives often strike me as being too greedy to have lifted a finger for anyone else let alone put in a few hours. It makes me wonder if they really do their own cooking, cleaning, laundry, polish the brasses, shopping and so forth, usually the answer is that they expect "the wife" to do this and then grumble if "she" expects any money for it. It's easy to judge other people, especially if you are ignorant.

Often people working in Jobcentre's are so badly paid that they live below the poverty line and are forced to claim Housing Benefit, or at least a percentage - if they do overtime (and this would be at normal rate, not double or time-and-half) then this gets cut at about the rate of losing £2hb to every £1 earned.

Edited by Tom6