Money for Old Rope?

larrysanders

Featured Posts

I'm in need of some new mooring ropes and I've just been down to the local chandlery. I'm still in shock at the price per metre they were charging! Anyone know of any good web deals or places in the midlands?

Thanks... !

Trafalgar Marine?

http://www.trafalgarmarineservices.co.uk/

George ex nb Alton retired

I buy my rope from Tradline, at Braunston marina, who often has good deals on ebay, too.

Otherwise I dip into the bargain bin, at the Chatham Historic Boatyard Ropery.

A visit to tradline is a worthwhile experience - even if you don't by any rope.

I will be going there tomorrow having managed to break one of Alnwick's 22mm diameter mooring lines - a sure indication that it is a tad rotten - that is the mooring line, not the boat!

http://tradline.co.uk/

I will be going there tomorrow having managed to break one of Alnwick's 22mm diameter mooring lines - a sure indication that it is a tad rotten - that is the mooring line, not the boat!

great stuff nice tip. many thanks!

We broke the bowline attempting to tow another boat off some mud, on the 1st of this month. Today the centre line snapped in my hands. We know that our lines have had it but I was hoping they'd hold in there 'til Braunston. This thread has just reminded me that him indoors has crashed out on the couch and has forgotten to splice what's left of the centre line. I don't think we'll be setting off early in the morning, somehow.

Otherwise I dip into the bargain bin, at the Chatham Historic Boatyard Ropery.

When we last visited this museum we also purchased a rope from the bargain bin!

We used it on our last hire boat as an occasional extra line! :lol:

Stewey

PS What a great museum, Carl - you must have been in heaven with all those lifeboats on display!

I'm in need of some new mooring ropes and I've just been down to the local chandlery. I'm still in shock at the price per metre they were charging! Anyone know of any good web deals or places in the midlands?

Thanks... !

I find that most chandleries seem to be living in a different world esp in these rather hard times and just think they can rip of boaters and we won't notice. I seem to buy less and less from canal side chandleries these days and more from other suppliers.

I find that most chandleries seem to be living in a different world esp in these rather hard times and just think they can rip of boaters and we won't notice. I seem to buy less and less from canal side chandleries these days and more from other suppliers.

The downside of that approach is that, if we all did that, the canalside chandleries would cease to exist.

And, from my point of view, it is rather nice to have them - so I always do my best to support them.

Try haggling on prices; in this respect, most chandlers can be very helpful to their regular customers.

Can second Trafalgar Marine.

We bought 4 14mm black 10m mooring ropes for £16 the lot from Newark boat jumble. Will definately use them again. Using these as summer ropes and then we have 4 16mm white 16mm ropes for winter use.

The downside of that approach is that, if we all did that, the canalside chandleries would cease to exist.

And, from my point of view, it is rather nice to have them - so I always do my best to support them.

Try haggling on prices; in this respect, most chandlers can be very helpful to their regular customers.

The ones that charge the correct price will survive. Why should I have to haggle? When I go to Tesco and arrive at the check out I don't haggle I know the price is compedative.

I think the recent posts concerning the price of diesel highlight the good canal side suppliers I have seen prices on here ranging from 45 ppl to 75 ppl during the same period at the end of April.

Can second Trafalgar Marine.

We bought 4 14mm black 10m mooring ropes for £16 the lot from Newark boat jumble. Will definately use them again. Using these as summer ropes and then we have 4 16mm white 16mm ropes for winter use.

Whilst I appreciate the need to camouflage your boat, as much as possible, wouldn't it be better to use the darker ropes, in winter, when the mud is worst?

Whilst I appreciate the need to camouflage your boat, as much as possible, wouldn't it be better to use the darker ropes, in winter, when the mud is worst?

And wouldn't darker ropes be more susceptible to damaging UV light in the summer, meaning they fall apart sooner than lighter ones which reflect the UV light? :lol:

No. The frost dulls the colour on darker ropes, plus the thicker ropes handle the frost a little better.