Awaiting Restoration

LEO

Featured Posts

Hi,

Came across these yesterday, all sitting patiently awaiting their turn (for some it's been as long as 38 years).

The restorer also undertook and completed the work on 'Roger'.

Leo

Troycut014.jpg

Troycut015.jpg

Troycut016.jpg

Troycut017.jpg

Troycut018.jpg

Troycut023.jpg

Troycut024.jpg

Troycut026.jpg

Edited by LEO

Whereabouts, exactly?

Methinks most of these are "New from old" rather than restoration or even rebuild.

Well I had heard it suggested that Progress was on the Troy Cut.

Given they used to live at Ricky many years ago, it might make sense if Mimas and Ray were there too, I don't know ?

Any more news on the Lucy lift, please Carl - she was obviously still there when we passed.

Well I had heard it suggested that Progress was on the Troy Cut.

Given they used to live at Ricky many years ago, it might make sense if Mimas and Ray were there too, I don't know ?

I remember Ray, Ex. GUCCCo Little Ricky 'Hebe', as being a little further north on an off side mooring, though can't remember exactly where, Kings Langley rings a bell.

Yes , that's the area at the end of the Troy cut . I took a walk up there nearly two years ago , the only boat I could positively identify at the time was Progress but the general scene was much the same . There was a workshop / dock at the end where at least one wooden narrowboat was being worked on , plenty of new planks and other freshly sawn timber about but I couldn't get near enough to identify them and my knowledge of wooden boats is insufficient to go by counting planks or studying forend shape , sorry ! .

Ovaltine boat Albert was being kept there too .

Duncan

If you click on "view full size image", you will get more info. In this case Troy cut.

Looking at those images I'm reminded of Kensal Green Cemetery.

Rust (Rot) In Peace. There's an almost tranquil air to them. Their lifes work done. No more the bottoms to scrape, gates to bump, at rest. Nature creeping, and reclaiming her raw materials.

Violins please . . .

I remember Ray, Ex. GUCCCo Little Ricky 'Hebe', as being a little further north on an off side mooring, though can't remember exactly where, Kings Langley rings a bell.

ray was moored just south of hunton br. mimas was on the river chess at rickmasworth. The last time i saw MIMAS & RAY thay where breasted up behind my pair ELECTRA & SIRIUS also there where FORNAX, ALBERT & ARCTURUS runing trips i think that was 1995 at the rickmanswoth canal festival. nt 100% on the year mike

Edited by ARCTURUS & SIRIUS

Sadly Electra is now rapidly heading in the same direction as these boats but not in any queue to be restored, however long that queue may be.

Yes i had heard that ELECTRA went down hill after i sold her, sadly i could not keep her as my father retired from tripping

on ARCTURUS AND asked me keep her with SIRIUS that was at the end of 1999. mike

Hi,

Sorry for the delay (long day at IWM Duxford - highly recommended) the pics were taken at the end of the Troy cut. I was looking through the mesh fence when the owner turned up and gave me an interesting tour.

Leo.

Did anyone spot the brand spanking new and very shiny porthole on Ray? Or was that a photoshop special . . .

PS Thanks for the pictures Leo - very evocative. Which motor is that the remains of - on the barrels?

Edited by Derek R.

It would be really nice in view of the historical significance of Progress, if she were to be restored one day.

I used to see her out and about regularly in the 1970s.

She had an unusual engine, I think - possibly by Junkers ?

What was the fate of Pioneer, a similar boat built for FMC ?

(See - I can say favourable things about wide beams! :lol: )

Its off the Grand Union at Harefield

Tim

I understand that this is private water/land and the work is (slowly) being done by Chris Collins who restored Albert and Roger. He is reputed to be backed by a wealthy enthuisiast who is more keen he gets it right that on speed.

It would be interesting to know what's there though. Obviously Progress and Ray. I presume the remains of the Ovaltine motor are Mimas. I had also heard that he had the Beatrice - Peter Scott's old boat which was very similar to Tom Rolt's Cressy.

Anything else and what was he working on in the dock?

Paul H

Did anyone spot the brand spanking new and very shiny porthole on Ray? Or was that a photoshop special . . .

PS Thanks for the pictures Leo - very evocative. Which motor is that the remains of - on the barrels?

Hi,

Sorry, the porthole was unpolished, not sure why it came out shiny.

The cabin on the barrels - not sure, could it be Roger?, missed the reg. no. but will get more info.

I have one or two more pics taken at the same time, will try to post them soon but am up to my ears in Vinatge aircraft pics at the moment.

Leo.

Hi,

Here are few more pics I took at the same time. Boats are worked on after being floated onto a pontoon which is then pumped out.

The cabin on the barrels looks as though it has the Reg. No 60012 (picture magnified)

Hope they are of interest.

Troycut006.jpg

Troycut007.jpg

Troycut008.jpg

Troycut009.jpg

Troycut010.jpg

Troycut011.jpg

Troycut012.jpg

Troycut013.jpg

Troycut020.jpg

Troycut021.jpg

Leo.

Edited by LEO

60012 is a 22' Teal, called Acanthus so it's not that one.

Excellent photos!

Hi,

Try 60812 - looks athough I will have to make another visit, this one cost a bundle as the missus bought a 8' x 8' sheet of polished granite from the Granite storage yard which owns the surounding land - large headstone for ............................................

leo.

I understand that this is private water/land and the work is (slowly) being done by Chris Collins who restored Albert and Roger. He is reputed to be backed by a wealthy enthuisiast who is more keen he gets it right that on speed.

It would be interesting to know what's there though. Obviously Progress and Ray. I presume the remains of the Ovaltine motor are Mimas. I had also heard that he had the Beatrice - Peter Scott's old boat which was very similar to Tom Rolt's Cressy.

Anything else and what was he working on in the dock?

Paul H

the remains of the motor on the bank is mimas the boat in the dock is ALBERT. BEATRICE i last saw sunk up the river colne near springwell i would doubt that it could have been moved. thay all make very interesting pictures so thanks to LEO for taking them. keep them coming. mike

Edited by ARCTURUS & SIRIUS

the remains of the motor on the bank is mimas the boat in the dock is ALBERT. BEATRICE i last saw sunk up the river colne near springwell i would doubt that it could have been moved. thay all make very interesting pictures so thanks to LEO for taking them. keep them coming. mike

Yes absolutely fantastic pictures.

I think the Ovaltine "boat" on the bank is actually only the cabin and back deck and it is Mimas's. Can we theerfore presume that the rebuilt wooden motor moored alonside the dock is the rebuilt Mimas?

Paul H

Yes absolutely fantastic pictures.

I think the Ovaltine "boat" on the bank is actually only the cabin and back deck and it is Mimas's. Can we theerfore presume that the rebuilt wooden motor moored alonside the dock is the rebuilt Mimas?

Paul H

i will agree with that