Spider

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

I used to own a little 40ft wooden cruiser type boat called Spider. It think it was built in the 60's. I sold it in 2005 to a very nice couple. Her name was Jess but his name escapes me. I think they took it down Napton way. Anyone seen it recently? It was a lovely little boat and had a beautiful fit out. Would like to know what happened to it.

Couple of (very poor) pics:-

Image138.jpg

Image141.jpg

Edited by Satellite

It is indeed a beautiful boat! Is it a Trevithick's boat?

Jess, as far as I know, still owns it and her boyfriend (Ian??) owns the Uxbridge motor Clee. I think they are somewhere down Claydon way.

They asked me to have a look at her, when they got it down to Wolfhampcote and I fell in love, immediately.

Ian thats it! I did have some history about it but I can't find or remember it. Malcolm Braine knows more about it. I will ask him. It was fitted out by a carpeter for his son. It has solid Oak floors and many beautiful details inside.

I'm pleased they still own it. She fell in love with it straight away.

Couple more pics,

In Stone dock. (2002/3 i think)

Image014.jpg

Malcolm helping with repairs.

Image020.jpg

Edited by Satellite

Anyone know anything about a boat called Tradboat Annie which I remember as being similar?

Paul H

Tradboat Annie is a Walton boat, like Demeter, and is owned by a friend called Vinnie, who fitted out Severn's back cabin, for Jem.

I believe it started out as a centre-cockpit cruiser (like most Waltons) but was chopped about by various owners until it arrived at it's present day little tug-like appearance.

Edited by carlt

Spider - what a little cracker. What engine has it got Mark?

We had a chap stop by Cassio for a while many years back, with a little wooden motor sailer (clinker or carvel I can't remember) called 'The Lady Tilly'. Less than 25' in length, all white, with a small transom stern, and a Stuart Turner under a box. Going into the cabin was bliss, all the feel of a wooden boat - warm, soft comforting sounds, and a lovely smell - bit of Stockholm tar probably. Reminds me of pleasurable reading in Maurice Griffiths books in which he introduces the reader to the quiet creeks and mud banks of the East Coast - 'The Magic of the Swatchways'. Still captivates, though I'm no salt.

Derek

I used to own a little 40ft wooden cruiser type boat called Spider. It think it was built in the 60's. I sold it in 2005 to a very nice couple. Her name was Jess but his name escapes me. I think they took it down Napton way. Anyone seen it recently? It was a lovely little boat and had a beautiful fit out. Would like to know what happened to it.

Couple of (very poor) pics:-

Image138.jpg

Image141.jpg

Excuse my ignorance...but from the colour scheme is there a Wyvern Shipping Company connection?

Excuse my ignorance...but from the colour scheme is there a Wyvern Shipping Company connection?

I wouldn't think so (at least not to my knowledge). I think (but could be wrong) that the boat was built by Trevethick's of Nottingham, but this is comparing techniques, rather than any documentary evidence.

They employed some unusual building practices, such as a fairly standard canallish elm bottoms and oak chine plank then, everything above the waterline was like a mahogany river launch.

You can see, from this photo the slim classic carvel planks, unlike a Walton boat which would have 4 or 5 9" wide planks, making up its sides.

Image014.jpg

I wouldn't think so (at least not to my knowledge). I think (but could be wrong) that the boat was built by Trevethick's of Nottingham, but this is comparing techniques, rather than any documentary evidence.

They employed some unusual building practices, such as a fairly standard canallish elm bottoms and oak chine plank then, everything above the waterline was like a mahogany river launch.

You can see, from this photo the slim classic carvel planks, unlike a Walton boat which would have 4 or 5 9" wide planks, making up its sides.

Having looked at the piccy again, I think I have confused the turquoise front, with a lighting effect!...so one of the Wyvern colours missing.

It certainly is a lovely looking wooden boat, just the kinda craft my mate Ian Clarke would have if he boated on the canals.

Here is Ian's boat, that he must have spent over 60 grand on, in the last 20 years. :lol:

Dscn3733.jpg

I could never own a wooden boat. Ian foned me up last week, after weeks of work, extatic that there are no new planks needed this year.