BSS Test

Geoff

Featured Posts

Hi All

BSS test due in a couple of months so I'll start phoning round shortly for some prices.

4 years ago I paid about £90, and I was just wondering what the "going rate" was now.

Geoff

Ours is due this week and we have been quoted £160. I am sure there are examiners who charge less but as this is our first BSS examination we felt it would be prudent to use a properly qualified marine surveyor who could provide appropriate advice beyond the narrow remit of the BSS requirements.

Hi All

BSS test due in a couple of months so I'll start phoning round shortly for some prices.

4 years ago I paid about £90, and I was just wondering what the "going rate" was now.

Geoff

Tommy Tighe's usually quite reasonable and in your (our?) area. I remember paying 120 a couple of years ago which was in the middle of the bunch, although Mr Phasey, already mentioned, doesn't seem to have put his price up since last I spoke to him...

Hi All

Geoff

I just got mine done on Friday by Guy Holding, Of Portland Basin Marina. A very likeable chap with a sensible approach to 'unconventional' boats. Charged £110 including travel to Sowerby Bridge. But then everything's cheaper round here - beer, food, mooring....everything. Jan, in the boat next to me, was only charged £90 a few days ago by another local(ish) examiner, because he was doing 5 boats round here in one day, and combined the travelling.

Mac

£100 last year, which would have included free re-test had it been required.

I would recommend our examiner, but as I see you are in Solihull, it probably wouldn't help you much.

Yes Alan's man still only charged me £100 as recently as last month.

Yes Alan's man still only charged me £100 as recently as last month.

How pleasant for a change to find competitive pricing down here in the South, David.

Now we just need to find someone locally who will slip and black a boat at the kinds of prices being charged in the Midlands, rather than finding ourselves paying double that. :lol:

How pleasant for a change to find competitive pricing down here in the South, David.

Now we just need to find someone locally who will slip and black a boat at the kinds of prices being charged in the Midlands, rather than finding ourselves paying double that. :lol:

I wish!

I just got mine done on Friday by Guy Holding, Of Portland Basin Marina. A very likeable chap with a sensible approach to 'unconventional' boats. Charged £110 including travel to Sowerby Bridge. But then everything's cheaper round here - beer, food, mooring....everything. Jan, in the boat next to me, was only charged £90 a few days ago by another local(ish) examiner, because he was doing 5 boats round here in one day, and combined the travelling.

Mac

Guy did mine last Saturday. £95, but I am on his doorstep!

He's a very likeable chap indeed, and you always feel like you got good value for money in terms of the amount of chatting that you got in about all things boaty when Guy does an examination.

Can't recommend him highly enough.

Mine is due in a few month, last time I used Calcutt but have been told they only do them for their moorers now, so I will be looking for someone in the Napton area.

We had ours done in '07 .

Mark Goodwin lives on a boat at Norton Junction

01327 844707/07879670116.

Came to the boat at Clattercote, so I expect he will travel the shorter distance to you.

Hope this helps.

Martyn