Coal for Jam Ole

mykaskin

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I've finished doing the video of the 2008 Jam 'ole Run. View here (in HD where available):

JamOleWeb.jpg

http://vimeo.com/channels/jamole08

If you want full quality, click the name at the top of each video, and (after logging in to the site I think) click the MP4 link at the bottom of the page. You may need various software to play these however, start at a website called Doom9, or just type into Google.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Folks,

I've finished doing the video of the 2008 Jam 'ole Run. View here (in HD where available):

JamOleWeb.jpg

<a href="http://vimeo.com/channels/jamole08" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/channels/jamole08</a>

If you want full quality, click the name at the top of each video, and (after logging in to the site I think) click the MP4 link at the bottom of the page. You may need various software to play these however, start at a website called Doom9, or just type into Google.

Cheers,

Mike

A Joy to watch!!! Well done Mike, a treasure trove of brilliantly framed and positioned shots of the boats on the move, day & night! I'm sure that young Tom will be quietly chuffed with your complimentary record of what he organised. Lots of gold stars all round!

• Greenie 1

Hi Folks,

JamOleWeb.jpg

<a href="http://vimeo.com/channels/jamole08" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/channels/jamole08</a>

Cheers,

Mike

Just superb!

Ed

Gonna show my ignorance now :lol: ! nothing new there then, I hear you say :lol: ! I tried a search for Jam Ole Run, zilch! what is it?

I've watched the 3 video's and they are superb quality, many thanks for them, and saw the ceremony with the champers and roses and I assume it's to commemerate someone or something, but I've no idea what! so can someone please enlighten me.

Brilliant.

I now have them saved for when there's a gap in the schedule of "I'm in a celebrity, get me out of the ice".

Actually I've already watched 'em and am looking forward to seeing them again.

How?

How?

I did a search for a freeware "download helper" to assist with d/ling youtube videos of my favourite bands, videos of boats, boat engines, JET engines, planes (real and model), steam rallies etc.

The one I chose is called "Video DownloadHelper 4.0.2" and it embeds itself into the browser (Firefox) so its an extra button on the toolbar.

Once the video is playing, right click, add the destination drive & filename and bobs your whatsit.

Mind you, each of Mikes vids took about 90 mins to d/l , so its best to do this when the net is quiet, ie 3am.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ref instructions in original post - I stand corrected. I just hit my little button out of habit nowadays when ever I find a film of interest.

(One of these days I'll get the hang of this interweb thingy)

Edited by jake_crew

Gonna show my ignorance now :lol: ! nothing new there then, I hear you say :lol: ! I tried a search for Jam Ole Run, zilch! what is it?

I've watched the 3 video's and they are superb quality, many thanks for them, and saw the ceremony with the champers and roses and I assume it's to commemerate someone or something, but I've no idea what! so can someone please enlighten me.

Coal, was a regular cargo carried from the Midlands collieries to all parts of the canal system - common knowledge.

Just along the Paddington branch from Bulls Bridge junction stood the factory of Kearley & Tonges, they made Jam.

The entrance to their unloading dock was pretty tight, as were many, and were generally called 'holes' or 'oles.

As the factory made jam, Kearley & Tonges unloading dock became known as the Jam 'ole, though back in the days of regular carrying it was unlikely called 'The Jam'ole Run', that's just a modern decription, but the run to the jam'ole with coal is generally recognised as the last coal run done with long distance boats from Atherstone where they loaded, to Southall. In recognition of the labour and often speed at which the family crews worked their boats, a re-enactment of the run has been done for several yaers now, sometimes with old boatmen who did the run in earnest back in the sixties and before.

The factory is gone, the basin filled in, and new industrial units now stand there. The entrance is now level towpath, and the bridge that took the towpath over the basin entrance is now doing service taking the towpath over Cow Roast Marina entrance. But as befits the occasion, flowers are left at the site of the jam'ole whenever a re-enactment has been done in memory of all who worked the cut and lived one of the hardest lives, when many around were watching television inside four brick walls.

Many thanks to young Tom who organised this years run. Though how long it will continue is anyone's guess.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

Coal, was a regular cargo carried from the Midlands collieries to all parts of the canal system - common knowledge.

Just along the Paddington branch from Bulls Bridge junction stood the factory of Kearley & Tonges, they made Jam.

The entrance to their unloading dock was pretty tight, as were many, and were generally called 'holes' or 'oles.

As the factory made jam, Kearley & Tonges unloading dock became known as the Jam 'ole, though back in the days of regular carrying it was unlikely called 'The Jam'ole Run', that's just a modern decription, but the run to the jam'ole with coal is generally recognised as the last coal run done with long distance boats from Atherstone where they loaded, to Southall. In recognition of the labour and often speed at which the family crews worked their boats, a re-enactment of the run has been done for several yaers now, sometimes with old boatmen who did the run in earnest back in the sixties and before.

The factory is gone, the basin filled in, and new industrial units now stand there. The entrance is now level towpath, and the bridge that took the towpath over the basin entrance is now doing service taking the towpath over Cow Roast Marina entrance. But as befits the occasion, flowers are left at the site of the jam'ole whenever a re-enactment has been done in memory of all who worked the cut and lived one of the hardest lives, when many around were watching television inside four brick walls.

Many thanks to young Tom who organised this years run. Though how long it will continue is anyone's guess.

Derek

Thanks for the explanation, makes the video even more interesting. :lol:

Is there a particular time between points that has to be achieved? also does it have to be done on a particular date?

As well as Derek's excellent information, it might be interesting to point out that one of the boats on this years run, namely "Stanton", was actually one of the 5 in use by Blue Line Carriers at the time that the jam 'ole contract ended.

I found the films interesting, but was surprised to see that during this re-enactment they managed to hang the bow of a boat on an emptying lock - Hillmorton, possible, I'm not sure now, as it's a day or two since I watched it. (Probably taking the "keep away from cill" notices at the other end too literally!)

Thanks for the explanation, makes the video even more interesting. :lol:

Is there a particular time between points that has to be achieved? also does it have to be done on a particular date?

The run takes place in October, as it was in October of 1970 that the last load of coal was delivered by boat.

As to time, well, you just get as far as everyone is willing to go to some extent, and the higher numbers of moored craft have to be considered as well, though the regular watering holes that crew used historically are usually aimed for.

Derek

PS Check out the Lucy site: Lucy website.

PPS The official name of the jam'ole was Mitre dock. K & T made biscuits too, I'll have a look to see if they make Jammy Dodgers!

More: from British History - Southall quote: "By 1914 there were also factories producing jam, chemicals, wallpaper, paints, and telephones, as well as an engineering works. All these were situated on Rubastic Road, Scott's Road, and Johnson Street. (fn. 47) Kearley & Tonge opened their jam and marmalade factory on Brent Road in 1913, and later extended their business to include a great number of other foods. In 1961 the labour force numbered about 700, although it had occasionally reached 1,000."

Edited by Derek R.

The run takes place in October, as it was in October of 1970 that the last load of coal was delivered by boat.

As to time, well, you just get as far as everyone is willing to go to some extent, and the higher numbers of moored craft have to be considered as well, though the regular watering holes that crew used historically are usually aimed for.

Derek

PS Check out the Lucy site: Lucy website.

Edited to remove reply, should have been a PM.

Edited by johnjo

I did a search for a freeware "download helper" to assist with d/ling youtube videos of my favourite bands, videos of boats, boat engines, JET engines, planes (real and model), steam rallies etc.

The one I chose is called "Video DownloadHelper 4.0.2" and it embeds itself into the browser (Firefox) so its an extra button on the toolbar.

Once the video is playing, right click, add the destination drive & filename and bobs your whatsit.

Mind you, each of Mikes vids took about 90 mins to d/l , so its best to do this when the net is quiet, ie 3am.

Or you could just follow the instructions I gave in the initial post, and get the high quality video files that the low bitrate web files are made from. They are about 500Mb each, but the quality is sooo much better.

I found the films interesting, but was surprised to see that during this re-enactment they managed to hang the bow of a boat on an emptying lock - Hillmorton, possible, I'm not sure now, as it's a day or two since I watched it. (Probably taking the "keep away from cill" notices at the other end too literally!)

It was a highly unusual way of hanging on the gates - Corona did the same, but Trevor managed to reverse up before it got jammed. The gates I think are new, and like everything BW do these days are poorly designed.

Cheers,

Mike

Or you could just follow the instructions I gave in the initial post, and get the high quality video files that the low bitrate web files are made from. They are about 500Mb each, but the quality is sooo much better.

It was a highly unusual way of hanging on the gates - Corona did the same, but Trevor managed to reverse up before it got jammed. The gates I think are new, and like everything BW do these days are poorly designed.

Cheers,

Mike

I thought it was very honest to leave it in, bearing in mind you were all experienced boaters, I'm surprised you've not got more stick over it. :lol:

Cheers,

Mike

It's hard to see what happened, Mike.

Is it jammed on the gate because it's also pressing against a handrail ?

Alan

EDIT:

Forget the handrail suggestion - that's what herself thought had happened. Now I've actually looked, it's clearly nowt to do with it. :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

Cheers,

Mike

My crew managed to do this with the 'Leo' descending a lock on the Stourbridge cut some years back on one of her first trips out after restoration. I was one lock further down with Atlas at the time and didn't see it happen, but apparently it was quite spectacular when it dropped free.

Is it jammed on the gate because it's also pressing against a handrail ?

Alan

The stem post on Leo wedged in a gap between the two steel plates that protect the mitre posts from damage.

Hey

Fantastic work with this. Can you put the files on an ftp or http site and then could download and watch easier?

Thoroughly enjoyed.

Steve Harmer

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago.

The stem post on Leo wedged in a gap between the two steel plates that protect the mitre posts from damage.

I'd originally thought that, and looking at the gates that was also a possibility, but no - it got caught between the back side of the mitre post that extends above the balance beam, and the upwards angle of the balance beam. Have another look at the video, it's quite clear to see. I don't think it helped having no weight in it at all, so the bow was a little higher than it should have been.

Cheers,

Mike

I'd originally thought that, and looking at the gates that was also a possibility, but no - it got caught between the back side of the mitre post that extends above the balance beam, and the upwards angle of the balance beam. Have another look at the video, it's quite clear to see. I don't think it helped having no weight in it at all, so the bow was a little higher than it should have been.

Cheers,

Mike

It would seem the fore end becomes wedged to one side of the mitre post with the side rubbing strake tight against the lock wall. As the level drops,

the stem is held tighter, and the force is applied to the wall holding the boat up. The solution may be in a better shaped mitre post, or cheeks of timber either side to prevent stem posts from being pinched.

Derek