How not to treat your customers

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

I'll start by saying...

Mods, if this oversteps the mark by naming the pub, then please delete the name

Moored at Church End on the G&S. Walked to the Three Horseshoes. The water from the tank on Ripple isn't really drinkable and we were a bit low in the jerry so too an empty two litre bottle with us. Ordered two pints of Uley and supped. Locals ushered us over to see the closing minutes of the rugby

On going for the second round (another pint and a half and a packet of crisps) I asked the land lady (who had served me the first round) whether she might fill our drinking water bottle. We'd already said we were on a boat. I explained out tap water was not potable.

She came back with the bottle full but charged an extra pound "because the water is metered"

Our water in Bath is metered: about £2 a tonne

On going back for the third pint I asked what the brewery charged for the beer. I was being cheeky I know: she said she wouldn't disclose. I said at the mark up the water was the brewery must be asking 6p a pint! I went back to and after a few minutes she walked over and came out with a diatribe about "you liveaboards always want something for nothing". I know I was provocative but...!

I think she did two things wrong: she should have told me she would charge to fill a water bottle (and then I could decline) and she really shouldn't be in effect accusing boaters of being on the scrounge!

We spent about £14 on beer and crisps, but I decided not to buy a fourth pint, and won't be going back: we'll walk the extra half mile to the Bell

edited to add: we're not even liveaboards! much as we'd like to be...

Edited by magpie patrick

Seems a bit tight. Being a licensee (as well as a student) I regularly give out glasses of water to anyone who requires one. Usually its at the end of the night when folk have had one two many and wish to counteract dehydration.

Even when we had a full time pub we would allow walkers to use the toilets and provide water for the dogs. Thing is it would invaraibly result in them buying a drink anyway - usually a cup of tea - or a repeat visit at a later date, or in the case one couple who visited a booking for 20 hungry walkers the next year.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

When I'm the driver I drink draft soda water, tap water with a bit of CO2. I've had the cheeky @*&~$% charge £2 a pint. Some give it free. I think a £1 a pint is fair enough if you're not drinking anything else, after all you are using the warmth and ambiance, but when you're buying food or other drink it's out of order. If I am given it free, I always tip, or bung the charity box.

I have walked out of a pub having ordered food and drink and then been asked for money for a glass of tap water for one of the party.

I'll start by saying...

Mods, if this oversteps the mark by naming the pub, then please delete the name

Moored at Church End on the G&S. Walked to the Three Horseshoes. The water from the tank on Ripple isn't really drinkable and we were a bit low in the jerry so too an empty two litre bottle with us. Ordered two pints of Uley and supped. Locals ushered us over to see the closing minutes of the rugby

On going for the second round (another pint and a half and a packet of crisps) I asked the land lady (who had served me the first round) whether she might fill our drinking water bottle. We'd already said we were on a boat. I explained out tap water was not potable.

She came back with the bottle full but charged an extra pound "because the water is metered"

Our water in Bath is metered: about £2 a tonne

On going back for the third pint I asked what the brewery charged for the beer. I was being cheeky I know: she said she wouldn't disclose. I said at the mark up the water was the brewery must be asking 6p a pint! I went back to and after a few minutes she walked over and came out with a diatribe about "you liveaboards always want something for nothing". I know I was provocative but...!

I think she did two things wrong: she should have told me she would charge to fill a water bottle (and then I could decline) and she really shouldn't be in effect accusing boaters of being on the scrounge!

We spent about £14 on beer and crisps, but I decided not to buy a fourth pint, and won't be going back: we'll walk the extra half mile to the Bell

edited to add: we're not even liveaboards! much as we'd like to be...

If I owned a pub I would gladly give tap water away for the chance of repeat custom.

The pub near us is on the off side to the Erewash canal and has a boat moored outside (owned by a neighbours son) . Last year it had a power cable out of the pub window to the boat. This year an outside tap and electric point has appeared on the outside wall. I don't know what arrangement he has made with the new landlords but seems good to me.

Edited by Dyad

Thing is so contrary what i've aready posted about giving out water without charge you do still get cheeky so and so's who take the michael.

For example only last night a lady came up to my function bar requesting that I open a bottle of wine that she had won in the raffle. She got rather uppity when I respectfully pointed out that wine was available behind the bar.

She replied 'well its only one bottle' I said 'yes its only one bottle but if I open it for you and then you tell all your friends who have also won bottles of wine, they'll all want them opened'. I went on ' tell me would you walk into a cafe with your own food and ask for salt and pepper? No, thought not.

I tell you the gall of some people. It really makes me cross.

I find this amazing at a time when pubs are closing every day.

Last December I filled my complete water tank twice at 2 different pubs The Cotton Arms in Wrenbury and the Willeymore in both cases though not asked I put £2 in the charity box, I must add that I had been spending money over a period at both places, don't think they would be to happy with boats just turning up wanting to fill water tanks!!!

...... after all you are using the warmth and ambiance,

I have walked out of a pub having ordered food and drink and then been asked for money for a glass of tap water for one of the party.

And the glass..... Magpie was providing his own bottle.

I've left trolleys loaded with shopping in Tescos on several occasions, usually out of hours when I've been expected to DIY checkout. 24 hour opening to me implies 24 hour service. I shop at silly oclock to suit me, not them.

As for crap service in pubs, the Kings Head at Sandford on Thames once served us a vodka in a cracked glass. On us pointing out the crack, the barmaid got another glass and tipped the vodka in that. I don't think so.

And as for the Tontine Hotel at Stourport serving me and Steilsteven Guinness from cans I'll say no more. LoL. Oh, it's shut down, now there's a surprise..... :lol:

Whilst it seems very tight to charge for water I think the important point in the OP was that the water was metered. I find people are much more more generous with an umetered supply.

Yes, it was metered, but if she pays what I pay in Bath then the pub gets water at £2 a tonne and charged me £500 a tonne to fill my (note my) water bottle, that's some mark up!

My initial grouse was at the mark up (as we spent £14 in the pub on beer and crisps) but when I was a tad sarcastic about it I got told that I was a feckless layabout on the scrounge and If I didn't like it the I should drink elsewhere: well, The bell is close by so that's what I shall do :lol:

Sounds to me like you are catching the consequences of something that someone else has done in the past.

Richard

Yes, we did wonder. I was also tempted to check the planning application file for Saul Marina and see who the objectors were...

That is bloody ridiculously tight of the landlady,I have to say.I spend lots of time&money in one local pub in particular.They have no quibbles about the odd bottle of water,or sticking my mobile on charge.If you're a regular drinker there,surely it's not much to ask? :lol:

I've always found the place a bit strange - it's very much a locals pub. Last time I was in there I think it was fair to say that a good proportion of the clientele came from the shallow end of the gene pool! In fact, if they had fingers, they would have been bango players! :lol:

Unfortunately The Bell is more of a restaurant than a pub these days.

Edited by richardf

I was under the impression that pubs / restaurants weren't actually allowed to charge for tap water ... but a quick google has disabused me of that!

But, did find this interesting article in The Grauniad - doubly interesting as I know Sue Pennistone who's quoted within it.

And the glass..... Magpie was providing his own bottle.

As for crap service in pubs, the Kings Head at Sandford on Thames once served us a vodka in a cracked glass. On us pointing out the crack, the barmaid got another glass and tipped the vodka in that. I don't think so.

Or like me you pour the vodka into an uncracked glass and then offer to top it up with another shot 'on the house' well it would be a waste to chuck it down the sink!

I was under the impression that pubs / restaurants weren't actually allowed to charge for tap water ... but a quick google has disabused me of that!

A common misconception.

One of my publican associates I used to know had a pub next to a university. He regularly showed the football on Sky. He also used to regularly have a bunch of students drinking tap water in his pub.......which they had to pay for.

What we seem to be forgetting here is that people run pubs in order to earn a living. Typically they will have invested something approaching £500,000 for the premises and will spend at least 80% of their net takings on running costs and replenishing stock. Every minute they spend in the bar is a labour cost and if they employ staff, the minimum wage applies.

Against this background why should we expect them to perform any service free of charge. You wouldn't expect to be able to take your batteries to an electrician and have them charged up for free so why expect a publican to do something similar. Having said that, the occasional publican may regard filling a water bottle free of charge as a desirable 'loss-leader' in order to encourage custom but that mightn't apply where the individual concerned failed to match the profile of the pub's target customer group.

The figures quoted above have been simplified for clarity and I fully accept that there are differences between the outgoings that apply to freehold, leased and managed pubs. Nevertheless, the general message is valid and based on many years experience in the management of licensed premises.

Edited by NB Alnwick

What we seem to be forgetting here is that people run pubs in order to earn a living. Typically they will have invested something approaching £500,000 for the premises and will spend at least 80% of their net takings on running costs and replenishing stock. Every minute they spend in the bar is a labour cost and if they employ staff, the minimum wage applies.

Against this background why should we expect them to perform any service free of charge. You wouldn't expect to be able to take your batteries to an electrician and have them charged up for free so why expect a publican to do something similar. Having said that, the occasional publican may regard filling a water bottle free of charge as a desirable 'loss-leader' in order to encourage custom but that mightn't apply where the individual concerned failed to match the profile of the pub's target customer group.

The figures quoted above have been simplified for clarity and I fully accept that there are differences between the outgoings that apply to freehold, leased and managed pubs. Nevertheless, the general message is valid and based on many years experience in the management of licensed premises.

No, I'm not forgetting that, but there are two ways in which this landlady could have improved her propsects...

1) Advising me before she filled the bottle, so I had a chance to decline (I probably wouldn't have done so, we had no drinking water)

2) Not set about insulting me (inacurately) when I commented.

The following day we went to the Bell for Lunch, spending over £40. The Three Horshoes also does Sunday Lunch, and she lost that trade, and from me (and several people at the Marina, and probably a few readers of this forum) she has lost that for good, could easily have been £50 plus one weekend a month ad infinitum from me. Not lost by charging me £1 to refill my water bottle, but by filling it, adding it to the drinks bill (hey folks, remember this, I was buying beer and crisps at the same time for the second time that night), mumbling because it was metered, leaving me to do the maths (£5.60 for two pints, 50 p for crisps, known from last round leaving a quid for the water) and then being downright rude when challenged

The following day we went to the Bell for Lunch, spending over £40. The Three Horshoes also does Sunday Lunch, and she lost that trade, and from me (and several people at the Marina, and probably a few readers of this forum) she has lost that for good, could easily have been £50 plus one weekend a month ad infinitum from me. Not lost by charging me £1 to refill my water bottle, but by filling it, adding it to the drinks bill (hey folks, remember this, I was buying beer and crisps at the same time for the second time that night), mumbling because it was metered, leaving me to do the maths (£5.60 for two pints, 50 p for crisps, known from last round leaving a quid for the water) and then being downright rude when challenged

Certainly, it all seems very odd - the only logical explanations are:

1: She was suffering from a complete nervous breakdown having just received her latest water bill, or;

2. She was not the landlady but a member of staff or holiday relief "just following the rules", or;

2. She genuinely felt that it would be better for her business if she could persuade you to go elsewhere!*

*We do not all fit the ideal 'customer profile' of every pub we may chose to enter . . .

Thing is so contrary what i've aready posted about giving out water without charge you do still get cheeky so and so's who take the michael.

For example only last night a lady came up to my function bar requesting that I open a bottle of wine that she had won in the raffle. She got rather uppity when I respectfully pointed out that wine was available behind the bar.

She replied 'well its only one bottle' I said 'yes its only one bottle but if I open it for you and then you tell all your friends who have also won bottles of wine, they'll all want them opened'. I went on ' tell me would you walk into a cafe with your own food and ask for salt and pepper? No, thought not.

I tell you the gall of some people. It really makes me cross.

Perhaps you could have sold her a corkscrew?